Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 16:00   #1

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Anything better than Stugeron?

About five years ago I posted the question "Is there anything better than Stugeron for seasickness?" Got a lot of responses but none since 2012. So, is there any new technology we can learn about?
Old 05-03-2017, 16:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Anything better than Stugeron?

I doubt it's new, but that silly watch that you can't replace the batteries anymore seems to work, not better than Stugeron but before it gets that bad
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 16:34   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Since seasickness is so individual, you can't say what works for one person will work for another. For me, stugeron is God's gift. I've used lots of other drugs for SS, they all either have side effects that I don't like or leave me feeling that I'm not SS now but could be soon ( or both).
Old 05-03-2017, 16:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
................ Got a lot of responses but none since 2012. So, is there any new technology we can learn about?
Perhaps on that one topic that you posted, but seasickness questions pop up about once a month. There are more recent ones, for sure, since 2012.

And, no, pretty much the same old, same old.

Too bad: no magic cure yet.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:26   #5

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I doubt it's new, but that silly watch that you can't replace the batteries anymore seems to work, not better than Stugeron but before it gets that bad
The SS band now has a replaceable battery! It was certainly a silly idea to sell it without the ability to put a new battery in. I saw it at one boat store for $80. I am sure if you shop around you will get some variety in pricing.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:30   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari

I agree with Paul L - it is a very personal thing. Stugeron works wonders for my wife; I don't seem to suffer nowadays. Years ago I took Sea Legs in NZ which was good for me, but could not buy it when I got back to Oz. The trouble with all this stuff is that you cannot buy it everywhere. Now we are in Turkey, I have to find someone coming from the UK to bring Stugeron back for us.
PeaceLoveMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:58   #7

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

We got this at their boat show seminar. Our experience is that the Vitamin C regiment worked quite well for my wife. She always suffered from mal-de-mar but using this method worked so well she stayed below making sandwiches!
Cheers, Mike

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/eleanormay/
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:01   #8

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Attachment for above post
Attached Files
File Type: pdf seasick avoidance-remedy .pdf (360.0 KB, 186 views)

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/eleanormay/
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:26   #9

Boat: Trintella 4

Best advice I ever had for sea sickness was sit under a tree. Works every time.
lifeboatcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:02   #10

Beer as soon as you get on board and more as necassary.laugh if you want and when you are really scared go to sleep anywhere if you dont wake then you are in luck never no more SS This may be a men only cure ??
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:24   #11

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Not all remedies work for all people. I used Sturgeon until I found my fail safe medication. Sturgeon is excellent but, like all pills, takes time to work, especially if you wait until you are nauseous. How long it takes and how long it lasts is a learning curve. If you upchuck shortly after taking any pill, there is no way to positively know if the pill is in, or out. And it may be dangerous to take another.

I am primarily a single hander. Occasionally, in the first 24-36 hours, I am so seasick that I am close to being incapacitated. This can be life threatening if close to land or traffic. My doctor recommended Prochlorperazine, 25mg, taken rectally. It is the fastest acting method of any medication, and it can't be upchucked. Adult dosage is 1 or 2 per day - I've never had to use a second.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:28   #12

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

The are numerous cures that work for some, but those who have suffered from the condition, and expect to continue to suffer from it know, absolutely know beyond any doubt, that there are only three cures for that work for everyone. 1/ Death, 2/ Land, and 3/ Time, if the other two fail to intervene soon enough.
Old 06-03-2017, 14:00   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I use for any of my crew looking queasy coca-cola &/or strong ginger biscuits. Usually fixes the problem. Something stronger than stugeron? Try Scopoderm patches. Need to be applied an hour or so beforehand behind the ear ( details on the box). In some countries you cannot buy them over the counter and needs a Dr's prescription. Used to be like that in UK but now over-the-counter seems ok. Saw them in my local chemist last week. We're always free for sale in Switzerland. Reason sales became restricted was because these patches could cause hallucinations under rare circs. Think it was caused if the patch got wet and over-dosed the wearer. Definitely stronger than stugeron but as a prev comment said, everyone is different.
Andrew
Old 06-03-2017, 16:50   #14

i thought stugeron WAS the magic cure. anyone know where to get any without leaving the US? you can pm a link, if you have one.
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 17:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmag View Post
i thought stugeron WAS the magic cure. anyone know where to get any without leaving the US? you can pm a link, if you have one.
Don't know if you can buy it online but it's a British drug that is also made in Mexico. It's available in different doses. Unless the patch has changed their formula it's my understanding it's not as effective as Sturgeron.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote