Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 19:51   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Anything scary ever happened?

Ummm. Hmmmm. Yeah, nevermind. I was going to say something about an over-active imagination, but it's not very charitable. Lots of people hear bumps in the night. But it doesn't actually mean ghosts exist....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 20:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No. I mean it.

There was one that started with a mention of a boat sailing (at night?). A body, or was it a body? float by then disappear in the darkness behind the boat. Or was it a body? Or was it a plane?

Etc. I am sure there was this kind of starter some time back at the CF.

Seeing the top of a head of a dead corpse and taking it for a deadhead (in Noumea marina basin) was unpleasant, for sure. Not scary though. Maybe it could be scary should we have encountered it by night.

Seeing that picture of that mummified German sailor was close to scary in this sense. Still, just a picture.

Reading about the other German sailor eaten in the Marquesas was a bit scary. But we never got to see the picture. Not much left I guess.

I have seen a ufo too. But it was not scary, just interesting.

b.
Ha, ha. OK, there was actually this time.....when a friend went gallavanting off to Hawaii on some race boat. I said I'd clean his clients' boats that he couldn't get to that week he left. One was a GINORMOUS power boat with black bottom paint. I jumped in at the bow just as the sun was setting. Once I made it to the stern (very disorienting in black water) I saw the silhouette of a body hung up underneath the boat. It took me a minute to get my breathing under control and when I finally approached the "body," I realized it was this super overgrowth of algae coming diwn from the large twin props. That seriously freaked me out! I think I had a Come to Jesus moment and then it passed
Old 29-01-2017, 21:08   #18
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I have had a number of instances where the boat swallowed items. I'd go through the entire boat, all 36 feet of it, sometimes 4 or 5 times, knowing that the item in question was in fact on the boat. I would never find it.
Skip forward a bunch of days weeks or months and the boat would invariably spit the piece out and I would trip over it ... usually in the most obvious place and a place I had searched several times.

It really freaks me out because it is NOT a big boat. I do not have bilge storage and very little storage places in general yet this happens with alarming frequency, maybe 3 times a year or so on average.

How the hell do you loose a set of diving boots on a small boat ??? Well those turned up in behind some other clothing and were legitimately misplaced but a lot of other stuff just vanishes and then shows up right out in the open .....

Just imagine you have another 10 feet, lots of bilge storage and no inventory/location list - scary !
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 21:41   #19

gamayun, true, it doesn't mean they do exist, I wish one would manifest itself infront of me and either continue walking on with only half its body above the floor, as if travelling a sunken road beneath the floor, and onwards through the wall, or come and sit with me and tell me all about 'the other side'. I never get anything so concrete, but yet I feel it out there, watching, waiting, like animals in a jungle looking in from the dark foliage to me with only my campfire to keep them away. This is why I always keep a jovial attitude. Once I rented a cottage in Wales and in the evening went for a walk down the lane. I had got maybe a mile and my nerve began to wobble so I kept a composure and turned to walk back, but it was so dark, and I realised i was walking in some bad energy area. There was nothing, right out in the wilds, and trees all around, and it was incredibly dark. Fortunately I had a torch with me. I had a maglite, one of those American-made long night watchman/cop type torches. The evil began to envelop me, was very close to me, so I felt the panic swell up in me and snapped the torch on and twisted the lens to spot. My, how that beautiful beam penetrated those woods like daylight, and for hundreds of feet. I swung the light all around to ward off whatever there was and to effectively keep a 360 in full flood. It was working, and I hurried up the lane back towards the cottage, but so bad was the energy, so close had it come to reaching me, I began to pray the light would keep working, and in this I felt myself utter something which I feel silly to admit to now, but feel i should give the whole truth as it was because others have done so on this thread, and I said, fully meaning it:'America, yes you are the best, and protector of all evil. Thank God for America!'. It is embarrassing now, but i bet I am not the only one.
duggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 00:28   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

A few shipyard bills have scared the hell out of me....!
But then I hum a few bars of Scotland the Brave and start negotiating
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 00:51   #21

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The Australian Bureau Of Meteorology once got a forecast right. It was shocking. Seemed just... unnatural. Went completely against everything we've all grown accustomed to.

Luckily that was years ago, and it's never happened again.
Now much like the National weather service here in America blowing a forecast, it won't make national news...
Funny how Mother Nature has her own ideas. Climate change be damned!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 01:01   #22

Boat: wanting a cat

One night at Zhills, Fl, we made a number of balloons from dry cleaning plastic, straws and birthday candles, sent them aloft, and they really looked like a ufo.

We, like most people with alcohol infused talent, can create anything...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 01:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I have had a number of instances where the boat swallowed items. I'd go through the entire boat, all 36 feet of it, sometimes 4 or 5 times, knowing that the item in question was in fact on the boat. I would never find it.
Skip forward a bunch of days weeks or months and the boat would invariably spit the piece out and I would trip over it ... usually in the most obvious place and a place I had searched several times.

It really freaks me out because it is NOT a big boat. I do not have bilge storage and very little storage places in general yet this happens with alarming frequency, maybe 3 times a year or so on average.

How the hell do you loose a set of diving boots on a small boat ??? Well those turned up in behind some other clothing and were legitimately misplaced but a lot of other stuff just vanishes and then shows up right out in the open .....

Just imagine you have another 10 feet, lots of bilge storage and no inventory/location list - scary !
Oh man, this happens ALL THE TIME! I'm still looking for my son's expensive pair of headphones from his visit over the holidays. Some gremlin is hiding them...somewhere.
Old 30-01-2017, 01:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggybuggy View Post
gamayun, true, it doesn't mean they do exist, I wish one would manifest itself infront of me and either continue walking on with only half its body above the floor, as if travelling a sunken road beneath the floor, and onwards through the wall, or come and sit with me and tell me all about 'the other side'. I never get anything so concrete, but yet I feel it out there, watching, waiting, like animals in a jungle looking in from the dark foliage to me with only my campfire to keep them away. This is why I always keep a jovial attitude. Once I rented a cottage in Wales and in the evening went for a walk down the lane. I had got maybe a mile and my nerve began to wobble so I kept a composure and turned to walk back, but it was so dark, and I realised i was walking in some bad energy area. There was nothing, right out in the wilds, and trees all around, and it was incredibly dark. Fortunately I had a torch with me. I had a maglite, one of those American-made long night watchman/cop type torches. The evil began to envelop me, was very close to me, so I felt the panic swell up in me and snapped the torch on and twisted the lens to spot. My, how that beautiful beam penetrated those woods like daylight, and for hundreds of feet. I swung the light all around to ward off whatever there was and to effectively keep a 360 in full flood. It was working, and I hurried up the lane back towards the cottage, but so bad was the energy, so close had it come to reaching me, I began to pray the light would keep working, and in this I felt myself utter something which I feel silly to admit to now, but feel i should give the whole truth as it was because others have done so on this thread, and I said, fully meaning it:'America, yes you are the best, and protector of all evil. Thank God for America!'. It is embarrassing now, but i bet I am not the only one.
Actually, this sounds like a panic attack. We're hardwired to be afraid of the dark because that is when large predators might stalk us. It is also why fire (and coincidentally, cooked food) sped up the evolution of man into the intelligent (ahem) beasts we are now
Old 30-01-2017, 05:58   #25

gamayun. Ha, ha. yes, I wonder myself. But it seems to give me courage by making light of things. After all, there was certainly something threatening in those lonely Welsh woods, maybe someone had let loose a panther that had got too big for a pet, or maybe it was a family of humans who had somehow never made contact with the civillized world and were stalking me. It could have been a million things, but I had to go with my gut instinct and get back to the sanctuary of the cottage.
duggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 07:02   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I was sailing north a few miles off of the Big Sur Coast in very dense fog at night. Hadn't slept in about 36 hours and was starting to see things. There were these strange balls of light that seemed to be dancing in the air in front of the boat.
At first I thought that it was an halucination. After a while I started believing my eyes and was beginning to get a quite scared thinkng... UFO's???
After a while I gathered up enough courage to attach my harness to the jackline and go forward for a better look.
Turned out that I was sailing through fields of seabirds resting on the water and as they took off in flight they were momentarily illuminated by my running lights before they disappeared into the fog.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 07:45   #27

Quote:
gamayun. Ha, ha. yes, I wonder myself. But it seems to give me courage by making light of things. After all, there was certainly something threatening in those lonely Welsh woods...It could have been a million things, but I had to go with my gut instinct and get back to the sanctuary of the cottage.
Duggy - Doesn't make it any less real to you, but that's an experience common enough to have been immortalized in verse:

“Like one, that on a lonesome road
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned round walks on,
And turns no more his head;
Because he knows, a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread.”

Might be an artifact of your lizard brain, or maybe there really is something there. Satchel Paige used to say, "Don't look back - something might be gaining on you".
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 08:04   #28

Quote:
gamayun. Ha, ha. yes, I wonder myself. But it seems to give me courage by making light of things. After all, there was certainly something threatening in those lonely Welsh woods, maybe someone had let loose a panther that had got too big for a pet, or maybe it was a family of humans who had somehow never made contact with the civillized world and were stalking me. It could have been a million things, but I had to go with my gut instinct and get back to the sanctuary of the cottage.
Yeah, I get it. As a female, I often have that twitchy feeling that something menacing is out there in the dark. Gut instinct is never a bad thing when there is the potential for danger.....
Old 30-01-2017, 08:07   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Actually, this sounds like a panic attack. We're hardwired to be afraid of the dark because that is when large predators might stalk us. It is also why fire (and coincidentally, cooked food) sped up the evolution of man into the intelligent (ahem) beasts we are now

I really, really don't like doing deco in open water, hanging under an orange lift bag. I know something really big with teeth is coming up from behind me
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 08:13   #30

Boat: Catalina 320

3 AM of a foggy summer night with a nice breeze when "WHOOSH" a humpback blows to starboard, then another off to port, they are all around and we can't see them, we can only hear them.
Whenever my wife gets tense about the dark I remind her most things ought to be nervous about me in the dark.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote