Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 12:18   #1

Anything scary ever happened?

Have you ever been out in the fog and passed a seemingly empty boat....A ghost boat? Did it seem like it 'never happened'. Or was it a strange chilling noise that made you batton down the hatches and wonder about moving? Or is there a spirit aboard, a feeling you have everytime you stand on the bow or use a cleat? Or a poltergeist aboard, moving objects in the cabin, and shifting your rope settings when you are otherwise distracted, and you have a sense that it is playing with you? What weird and spooky and strange odd wonderment have people experienced or suspected......Or is happening in their lives as we write!

I thought I saw a grotesque face come up to me to the surface and then sink. Truly awful with sunken dark eye caverns and open cod-like lips. It was momentary, but it held me froze for a moment staring into it, then I recoiled in horror as it dropped back down into the depths.
duggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 12:56   #2

Re: Anything scary ever happened?

The Australian Bureau Of Meteorology once got a forecast right. It was shocking. Seemed just... unnatural. Went completely against everything we've all grown accustomed to.

Luckily that was years ago, and it's never happened again.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 13:01   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

A repost of CF 2012 material, no?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 13:36   #4

Barnakiel. No. I'll will try and check it out. But if there have been any other happenings I am interested to hear them. Any UFO stuff? Alien type things? I ask in all seriousness. But then who would say if they had. A person would not be believed, or if they were then the authorities would hold them in quarantine and run never-ending tests on them and track them forever, I suppose. Listen to talk radio in 20 mins.
Old 29-01-2017, 13:42   #5

Barnkeil, how can I find that thread, please?
Old 29-01-2017, 14:36   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

No. I mean it.

There was one that started with a mention of a boat sailing (at night?). A body, or was it a body? float by then disappear in the darkness behind the boat. Or was it a body? Or was it a plane?

Etc. I am sure there was this kind of starter some time back at the CF.

Seeing the top of a head of a dead corpse and taking it for a deadhead (in Noumea marina basin) was unpleasant, for sure. Not scary though. Maybe it could be scary should we have encountered it by night.

Seeing that picture of that mummified German sailor was close to scary in this sense. Still, just a picture.

Reading about the other German sailor eaten in the Marquesas was a bit scary. But we never got to see the picture. Not much left I guess.

I have seen a ufo too. But it was not scary, just interesting.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 14:57   #7

I once anchored near an unmarked/uncharted unexploded ordinance. Our resident diver found it while checking the anchor after scrubbing the hull.

Chicken skin goosebumps.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 16:13   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Watmough Bay on lopez island in the san juans is very pretty but very creepy - just a feeling about it
Old 29-01-2017, 17:35   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Other than being aboard a couple of commercial vessels that sank with me aboard, the most terrified I ever recall being was single handing about 40 miles off the Oregon coast heading south when out of the fog on the port side, I saw a glow somewhat off in the distance. It resolved in to a row of somewhat fuzzy lights right at water level and seemed to be keeping pace with me as I traveled south at about 7-8 knots on a broad reach in 10 foot seas on 15 knots of westerly breeze.
Suddenly, there was a phosphorescent wake head right for me from the row of lights! It was just Like a torpedo... I waited for the collision/explosion when the torpedo suddenly veered toward my bow and kept station about 5 feet away.
The lights were from a cruise ship obscured by fog and the torpedo was a dolphin in search of a bow wave he could play in...
The whole episode frightened the hell out of me and I still recall it vividly 50 years later! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 17:43   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggybuggy View Post
Have you ever been out in the fog and passed a seemingly empty boat...?
Happens all the time. It always seems to be a 32-38' express cruiser, doing about 30 knots, oblivious to the conditions or to other traffic. The bow is up so high we can't see if anyone's at the helm. They don't answer radio hails or (apparently) listen for fog horns from other vessels.

Fortunately, so far we've always seen them on radar before they ran into us, and we have been able to take evasive action.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 17:52   #11

The face I thought I saw could have been an old tattered and dirty piece of plastic sheet. But I would like something to have happened that was like a boat pass me and vanish. I am glad I haven't had any poltergeist or malevolent energy or maybe a small black cloud with two horns pointing downwards, following me around, say. One thing has happened. I lost a key. It was a low point. I found it beneath leaf a mile away where I had never been. I cannot go into covering all the possible avenues to explain this which we would all proffer. Believe me, it was impossible. This makes me believe more in the less tangible things like that creepy place in NZ. Conversely, you also find places which feel to have a good energy, and this is what I go with in all my life, it is what I follow more than anything or anyone, and it works well for me, that intuition. There is no doubt it all has a playful fun side to it, but if it really happened.....Surely someone must have encountered something definate, levitation or something, or the chart suddenly screwing itself up and throwing itself onto the floor, or some timeline being crossed into and out of upon entering a harbour, say. I would love to hear if anyone has had this kind of stuff.
Old 29-01-2017, 18:01   #12

Boat: Mirage 35

(Yes, I've told this one before, for anyone who's paying attention.)

Well, there was that time in dense ground fog, motoring up Lake St. Clair, when I thought I saw a lake freighter heading directly towards us.

(Edit: I should have said "ghostly" lake freighter. Because that's what it looked like.)

Whoops, wasn't a vision, it was a real freighter. Due to a screwup in communication between lookout and helmsman we veered straight across in front of it. Survived.

Scarier than any ghost I've ever seen.
Old 29-01-2017, 18:46   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggybuggy View Post
The face I thought I saw could have been an old tattered and dirty piece of plastic sheet. But I would like something to have happened that was like a boat pass me and vanish. I am glad I haven't had any poltergeist or malevolent energy or maybe a small black cloud with two horns pointing downwards, following me around, say. One thing has happened. I lost a key. It was a low point. I found it beneath leaf a mile away where I had never been. I cannot go into covering all the possible avenues to explain this which we would all proffer. Believe me, it was impossible. This makes me believe more in the less tangible things like that creepy place in NZ. Conversely, you also find places which feel to have a good energy, and this is what I go with in all my life, it is what I follow more than anything or anyone, and it works well for me, that intuition. There is no doubt it all has a playful fun side to it, but if it really happened.....Surely someone must have encountered something definate, levitation or something, or the chart suddenly screwing itself up and throwing itself onto the floor, or some timeline being crossed into and out of upon entering a harbour, say. I would love to hear if anyone has had this kind of stuff.
Sure, DB, lots of such happenings, all thoughtfully reported in the National Enquirer...

Jim
Old 29-01-2017, 18:50   #14

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

One early evening off the tip of Ritidian point on Guam, there was a pod of dolphins that were frolicking off of our bow, and we noticed that the dolphins on the starboard side were glowing green every time they would jump out of the water. We wondered about it for a couple of minutes and then realized that the dolphins were being bathed in the light of our high-intensity LED running lights.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 18:56   #15

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Another Great Lakes one, we were sailing in dense fog at night and when below could hear the engines of a freighter through the water. On deck we could not see or hear (engine or fog horn) the ship. Lasted for about 5 minutes while we did our best to look in every direction. Never did see anything and eventually the engine noises faded away. No idea how close it got or what course it was on.