Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 11:18   #151

Re: ARC as a way to look at how different types of boats sail

Great thread. lots of vairables but still interseting to follow.

Pop quizz do any of you have any experiences good or bad with the Beneteau First 47.7? We are keen to sell our 36ior boat and buy one to do some cruising/liveaboard/offshore sailing and racing. We have two boys 5 and 2.

Form all I can find on the net they seem to be big pretty robust and well liked. We are performance cruiser's. On our one tonner we managed a 192nm day lots of 175nm days We got from New Zealand to Fiji in 6days although it was very wet!

Any comments would be apreciated its a big chunk of cash to part with and we want to get it right.

P.s Id love a pogo 12.50 but dont think they are quite big enough and the pogo 50 is def out of the price range like the marten49!
cheers
sowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 16:32   #152

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowild View Post
Great thread. lots of vairables but still interseting to follow.

Pop quizz do any of you have any experiences good or bad with the Beneteau First 47.7? We are keen to sell our 36ior boat and buy one to do some cruising/liveaboard/offshore sailing and racing. We have two boys 5 and 2.

Form all I can find on the net they seem to be big pretty robust and well liked. We are performance cruiser's. On our one tonner we managed a 192nm day lots of 175nm days We got from New Zealand to Fiji in 6days although it was very wet!

Any comments would be apreciated its a big chunk of cash to part with and we want to get it right.

P.s Id love a pogo 12.50 but dont think they are quite big enough and the pogo 50 is def out of the price range like the marten49!
cheers
Have a look at this log:
World Cruising Club

Excocet strike is a First 44.7 that is making a circumnavigation with the World ARC. John & Stella Dyer, a British couple are the basic crew. John is a very experienced skipper and has been sailing and racing that boat for some years now, including two Atlantic crossings.

Talk to them, I bet they will be happy to share with you their knowledge about the boat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 18:42   #153

Boat: a sailing boat

Firsts are fine fast boats. Comparable to J-boats, give or take (J-boats are a bit more racey I think in fact).

They make fast cruisers. They are well built, but they are light built.

If you want a light and fast cruiser, you will like them.

X-Yachts are probably one shelf up and well worth considering too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:37   #154

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Firsts are fine fast boats. Comparable to J-boats, give or take (J-boats are a bit more racey I think in fact).

They make fast cruisers. They are well built, but they are light built.

If you want a light and fast cruiser, you will like them.

X-Yachts are probably one shelf up and well worth considering too.

b.
I would say Jboats are a bit better, at least the ones built in France (very expensive), Salona is a notch over in strength an quality (regarding the First) and X yachts two notch over. Not surprising in what concerns Jboats or Xyachts (much more expensive yachts) but a bit surprising regarding Salona that has about the same price as First.

Note that I like First sailboats and agree with Barnaquiel when he says: "They make fast cruisers. They are well built.."
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, sail