Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2024, 18:56   #1

Are cruisers able to transit the Panama Canal?

I have been searching but my Google ** is not good. My friend and I are hoping to transit the canal. We understand there are significant backups for the commercial ships. We can find no info regarding sailboats. Does anyone have any experience with this recently?
Pontoonrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 19:06   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Are cruisers able to transit the Panama Canal?

No experience, but the slowdown is due to drought in the area. They won't care about sailboats, way too small a part of their business; and Panama want to keep Gatun Lake fresh water. People are likely to be "tetchy" when they're afraid they may run out of water.

Ann
Old 03-02-2024, 20:07   #3

Cruising yachts for the most part are unaffected as normally up to 3 yachts are locked thru together with smaller comercial ships so no extra water is consumed.

Right now the world rally boats have just started going thru and this does tend to create a bit of a backlog (in previous years 2 week wait between being measured and the transit date was the worst case scenario, it may be a bit worse this year). Outside of the February/March high season is is unusual to have to wait more than a week (I was offered a slot 48 hours later back in July)
Munoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:01   #4

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munoz View Post
Cruising yachts for the most part are unaffected as normally up to 3 yachts are locked thru together with smaller comercial ships so no extra water is consumed.

Right now the world rally boats have just started going thru and this does tend to create a bit of a backlog (in previous years 2 week wait between being measured and the transit date was the worst case scenario, it may be a bit worse this year). Outside of the February/March high season is is unusual to have to wait more than a week (I was offered a slot 48 hours later back in July)
SV Basik just posted that they heard back from their Panama agent and due to shipping back-ups and drought, they won't be able to transit until late March.

So yes you can transit, but it will be delayed. Whatever the Panama planning window was before it just got extended by about 60 days.

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:14   #5

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by disputin View Post
URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoxPH3YeAw7J-fOmScQuJ2A"]SV Basik[/URL] just posted that they heard back from their Panama agent and due to shipping back-ups and drought, they won't be able to transit until late March.

So yes you can transit, but it will be delayed. Whatever the Panama planning window was before it just got extended by about 60 days.
Sean
That's a dummy whammy for world shipping given the missile attacks for ships passing the Horn of Africa on their passage to/from the Suez Canal.

Tags
canal, cruise, cruiser, Panama, Panama Canal