Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 09:04   #1

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat
Are Outboard Engine Wells a 'Drag' ?

The outboard engine well in my Rob Roy 23 sets up quite a turbulence as we pick up speed. I feel as though I am dragging a 35 gallon garbage can opening. Please any opinions appreciated.
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:27   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: outboard engine wells, a drag..?

Get a garden tractor tire, insert the lower unit of your outboard in it, put the outboard back in the well, position the tire down at the bottom of the well and inflate it. That will stop much of the water from getting into the well.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:48   #3

Re: Are Outboard Engine Wells a 'Drag' ?

Thank you mark. What a great idea..!
Capt.Fred
Old 31-10-2011, 10:07   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Oops, I meant a garden tractor tire TUBE, not the tire.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 10:13   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

yes, outboard wells significantly degrade sailing performance.
Old 31-10-2011, 10:25   #6

Interesting. I was looking at Rob Roy's this summer. I liked the idea of someone putting the engine well further forward than right at the stern. But the same thought came to mind.... how much drag? I would think a tunnel in the hull aft of the engine would be better.... Sweet little boat though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 11:09   #7

I have modified this Rob Roy quite a bit and at 7 knots the well with the out board of course not running looks like the 7.5 4stroke IS running in a test tank..! Also of course for long cruises or over night, I must lift the out board above the water, which I do...another drag. Any body got any suggestions about aft side mounting on a double ender? I believe I will need remote controls. But, I love this boat. Just leaning over and touching the water with my hand is a turn on. I single handed my 50 footer for 25 years, almost daily til I got bored out of my gourd in that ivory tower. Capt.Fred, 77 and hanging in there. I will post a photo, if I figure how.
Old 31-10-2011, 11:13   #8

Yeah.... that's why I was looking. I ran into a couple of old guys buddy boating this summer, in small yawls similar to the Rob Roy. They were having the time of their life. Simple, easy, fun and they could anchor in almost no water in some little hole in the wall! There are some nice remote kicker motors out there now with tilt, shift etc.
7 knots???? In a Rob Roy?
Does the water accumulate behind the engine... welling up inside there? or is it just passing along?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 12:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah.... that's why I was looking. I ran into a couple of old guys buddy boating this summer, in small yawls similar to the Rob Roy. They were having the time of their life. Simple, easy, fun and they could anchor in almost no water in some little hole in the wall! There are some nice remote kicker motors out there now with tilt, shift etc.
7 knots???? In a Rob Roy?
Does the water accumulate behind the engine... welling up inside there? or is it just passing along?
I knew somebody would question my 7 knots. This is one modified beautiful Rob Roy 23. It took over a year. Redesigned 3/8" st st 300# scissor centerboard with 4X 12V winch. No more open triangle in the centerboard. Extended bow sprit 30" for Double roller furling headsails. The yankee did it. It cured the weather helm. 200# lead in 20# ingots (painted gold). Plus an original 200# custom lead shoe. All lines to cockpit. She is not as tender any more and she is faster. Oh, I wish I knew how to post photos. I just can't get my brain to focus on computer stuff. I'm a reitred architect and yacht designer and builder. See "Sail the Daedalus" I have no commercial interest in this matter and no one wiil just go to Alabama for that. I would just like to legitimize myself to all my sailor friends. I have a photo of the knotmeter at 6.8 taken while I gleefully steered always singlehanded (Or mostly). Grumpy old man, Capt.Fred And YES the water does upwell inside the well and spills over the sealed cockpit sole (hatch). The boat only floats less than 1" lower with the added ballast.
Old 04-11-2011, 20:27   #10

Capt. Fred. For the outboard drag on my Rob Roy 23 (I have owned her since 1990) I replaced the Honda 10 with a Yamaha high thrust 8 hp in 2003. The Yamaha has electric start, remote control, with no tiller arm. The shaft on that motor mates up with a Flex-o-Fold folding sail drive prop. Now the prop folds for much less drag and is very efficient. Also closed off the motor well from the cockpit side (with air vent for the motor) and installed a Spin Lock remote throttle. Much cleaner cockpit look - swear it was an inboard. Solved the water from the well at speed by putting a plug in the center drain in the outboard mount and raised the mount edges by 3 inches to the vertical bulkhead at the cockpit foor. Installed a small drain in the cockpit floor for rain. Cockpit is now always dry even with 4 crew aboard. I modified so that any water in the cockpit over 3 inches (breaking wave) can easily escape into the well for safety.
Capt. Rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 22:51   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I used own and race a 25 foot boat with an outboard well.
It had a simple plate, that fitted in place and closed off the well when the outboard was up. There was a small tube in the bottom and at any speed the water was sucked out by the lower pressure near the transom.
The plate was essential for racing against identical boats, but only really only made a small speed difference of about 5%.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rob23 View Post
Capt. Fred. For the outboard drag on my Rob Roy 23 Yamaha high thrust 8 hp in 2003. The Yamaha has electric start, remote control, with no tiller arm. The shaft on that motor mates up with a Flex-o-Fold folding sail drive prop. Now the prop folds for much less drag and is very efficient. Also closed off the motor well from the cockpit side (with air vent for the motor) and installed a Spin Lock remote throttle. Solved the water from the well at speed by putting a plug in the center drain in the outboard mount and raised the mount edges by 3 inches to the vertical bulkhead at the cockpit foor. Installed a small drain in the cockpit floor for rain. Cockpit is now dry with 4 crew aboard. I modified so that any water in the cockpit over 3 inches (breaking wave) can easily escape into the well for safety.
Capt. Rob23, I hope we could sail in tandem someday. Without a doubt, I need photos of your modifications a/o sketches. When I figure out HOW, I will, or you can start a Rob Roy forum on CF. I'll bet RR23 skippers will be eager to join in. My engine is an 8hp Tohastu 4 stroke, elec. start. Good power for plowing along against wind and current. I think both engines are similar. Your remote engine control intrigues me. My new st st centerboard and dble head sails changed the whole boat. I am out of the water now with lower lumbar probs, but expect to be at it again shorty. (that is why, Iv'e had more time for for CF lately) My RR23 sits on her trailor right outside my bedroom window, just staring at me plaintifully. Please send me info...or ask for what I might contribute to you.
Regards,
Capt.Fred P.S. did raising the eng. mount 3" still leave head room under the cover?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:22   #13

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Bo Garrison built an ingenious motor well closure on his Norwalk Islands Sharpie:
NIS26

Here's the home page for his boat. Great reading and photos:
NIS26
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:54   #14

Capt. Fred. I am also looking at my RR23 out my bedroom window LOL. I sail Lake Michigan and just pulled her for the winter. I would like to know more about your modifications also. I will post more details on my modifications this weekend.
Capt. Rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rob23 View Post
Capt. Fred. I am also looking at my RR23 out my bedroom window LOL. I sail Lake Michigan and just pulled her for the winter. I would like to know more about your modifications also. I will post more details on my modifications this weekend.
Capt. Rob23, if you go to my photo album, which I just posted these past few days, you will see my new double head stays and bow sprit. Also, see my double 5/16" st st 300# center board and more.....Now you owe me...lol. Let me know your opinion. Capt.Fred

Tags
engine, outboard