Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Are you or have you been a dumpster diver at a marina or boatyard?
Yes, I have been or am an active dumpster diver 68 73.12%
No, and I would not partake in this crude approach 7 7.53%
No, but I am considering becoming one 18 19.35%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 03:49   #61

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Are you a secret dumpster diver?

I've been dumpster diving for years. It's no secret either...everyone knows!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:27   #62

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
You should get a hold of Meburma, a member on CF looking to do a documentry on live aboards. I would love to see this on film
the problem is, I'm not a live aboard, I'm a vagabond cruiser, my anchor is rarely down for more than 2 weeks in the same place. Live aboards can't leave, cruisers can't stay. I have gotten the vagabond thing to a fine art form now, I recently learned that seagulls can bite hard enough to break the skin when a dirty hillbilly pirate is robbing their nest of eggs.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20   #63

Boat: a sailing boat

"I went for sailing because I wanted to be unlike anybody else."

Now I find I am like all the other sailors ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:15   #64
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

This thread has brought to light some very interesting statistics and trends. Based on this survey and discussion and of this writing, over 72% of cruisers have actively pursued dumpster diving in the past with the majority of cruisers consistently still actively diving for bargains and treasure items today. Skills range from novice to expert - where the novice divers look for small items that may be of value, while more expert level divers look for food, for high return maintenance items, and are always aware of their environment looking rare dumpsters to explore. This average is better than the national average of cruisers who say have a radar unit, a liferaft, a watermaker, or even a simple GPS for example. One might suppose then that dumpster diving skills have become a cruisers necessity of sorts and that to consider the cruising lifestyle one must improve not only seamanship and navigation, and learn general resourcefulness to solving problems, but also master the fine art of dumpster diving and make it apart of their general crusing lifestyle skill kit.

I can see that there is a lack of training provided in the community for learning these skills. For example, Annapolis Sailing School and OCSC of Berkeley do not offer dumpster diving as apart of their core training at this time. Perhaps they should. Its seems like a goldmine of a business...especially for those looking to charter who may want to addify their cruising experience and limit their vacation costs.

Secondarily, there are cultural opportunites as well. For example, European sailors shun this practice and believe it is below their dignity, and avoid dumpster divers on a class level. However, this brings up an interesting perspective, that the dumpsters of Europe could contain a pleura of bargains and treasures for dumpster divers who dare to visit and explore there - particularly in the boatyards of France...and especially around dumpsters near Beneteau owners.

/~\
C oo
_( ^)
/ ~\

SaltyMonkey
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:20   #65

Boat: Skookum 53'

Dumpster diving is just beach combing without the beach.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:24   #66

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Dumpster diving is just beach combing without the beach.
Yes, I don't think there is much to analyze here. More interestingly I would ask why would someone pay for something that could be picked up for free. For example you can buy electronic copies of the Coast Pilot for about 15 bucks, or download it for free. Some people just prefer spending money.

Amazon.com: COAST PILOT 1 NOAA $15.00

vs

United States Coast Pilot® $0.00

Why is there a market for the former?
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:33   #67
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

1-NEVER pay retail.
2- most yotties pitch out what i need
3-never look into a stinky dumpster!!!!!NEVER!!!!!
foods with wrappers and current dates, or close to that, are fair game....as long as isnt perishable..lol
cushions need not cost mega bux....
4- NEVER dumpster dive in night time/darkness--is for the tweakers and other druggies..LOL
5-dive with big SMILE--as you WILL find treasures..LOL

hell, yeah, i do that in daylight.....just gotta follow a few rules/guidelines...LOL(see above)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 14:31   #68

Boat: a sailing boat

Yeah. Some West Indies locations, especially if there is a huge charter/get together spot nearby, are gold mines - a friend of mine found as new rib - the tube delaminated (repair at Zodiac service = 200 bucks) = like new rib for 200 bucks ... Another time a fellow found a Rutland windgen - dumped. A part inside burned, repair cost ? 50 ?. Again - like new windgen for 50 bucks! The same guy found a liferaft - tried and tested OK - probably dumped because it was OUT OF DATE.

Look and you will find. To some - garbage, to others - good stuff.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:52   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Are You a Secret Dumpster Diver ?

A freind of mine was working on his boat in the boatyard and a very smart motorboat was being craned into the water with a brand new rib hanging from the davits, he heard one of the crew say 'What should I do with the old tender Skipper?' the skipper replied 'Oh sling it in the skip (English word for dumpster)' My freind said the motorboat wasn't out of sight before the Avon dingy was fished out and into the boot (trunk) of his car, he said it didn't have a single patch on it.
I've had so many good finds I couldn't list them all.