Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 15:23   #16
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33
Re: As old men will do...

I am impressed! looks to be 15-20knots wind opposed to 4-5 current in a narrow channel with a ferry and the worst that happened is a few ran aground? Seriously you can get into irons really fast In these conditions and sometime there was no place to go but to luff up and hope. Hope does not always work when racing. Tender? Naw, that is hull form not being what the skipper and conditions needed. They did good! I LOVED IT
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 15:28   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGN View Post
I am impressed! looks to be 15-20knots wind opposed to 4-5 current in a narrow channel with a ferry and the worst that happened is a few ran aground? Seriously you can get into irons really fast In these conditions and sometime there was no place to go but to luff up and hope. Hope does not always work when racing. Tender? Naw, that is hull form not being what the skipper and conditions needed. They did good! I LOVED IT
It's 19-20 knots easy.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 15:33   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Great stuff, the guy at 8:45 with X41 on his sails only just gets away with it twice within a few seconds. Bit of tide running too, that will add to the fun.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 15:40   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

At first I thought the crews were doing pretty good then I find out they are singlehanded.

Now I think they are doing excellent!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 15:46   #20

Glad you all enjoyed it :-)!

These waters lie south of the island of Funen, and they are really inland waters and not of any great geographical extent. Therefore, in the vernacular of the island of Funen, they are sardonically known as "The Southern Ocean" and the islands there situated, one of which is the destination of the ferry you see, are known as the "South Sea Islands". Sort of in keeping with the fact that 10 miles or so inland from the shore you see there is a very fertile plain that must be all of - oh - 10 x 15 miles. Inevitably, it is therefore known as "Texas" :-)

So I can legitimately claim that I've sailed the Southern Ocean :-)!

Now, Carsten has the misfortune to be from Copenhagen, all of 85 statute miles distant on the far eastern outskirts of Denmark, so he may not know such significant facts about his native land. But I see from his profile that he is now in the REAL South Seas :-)

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 21:43   #21

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
@A64: Well you know where I stand on the matter of design idiom. The modern “racing machine” has largely put the cap on decent cruising designs. The boats depicted here are just oveblown Wayfarer dinghies with a deck as far as I'm concerned, Some of these boats are down to the second reef, but most of them appear to be over-pressed. That's what racing will do to you :-)!

@Senor: You are probably talking about #220. Don't be so picky, they are 10 minutes before the gun. Way, WAY back I wuz told by a geezer that “winning races is dead easy – all you have to do is get first over the start line and then stay out in front.” This race is 135NM, or so, all around the island of Funen. 220 has plenty of time to see to his leech line. Position is more important just now :-)

@Littlewing: This race is reputed to be a toughie. It is held in the autum when the stormy winds do blow. As I write, it's blowing WNW 15 there, tho I think when this clip was made it musta been a shade over 20. Boats come from all over Danish waters and the Baltic, and only a few would be locals sailing out of the town of Svenborg. The distance from the mole at Svenborg to the mole on the southern side of Svenborgsund is about a cable and a half, and that is also the width of the navigable channel until you are well west of the bridge whose piers you see to the left in the clip. You can know you poop, handling-wise, and still run aground if you don't know the water. Or if you are too busy to read it.

@Ken Pole: Well, No! This is a MAJOR racing event held every year on a known date with over 300 boats taking part. There are, if I'm not mistaken, five classes based on length, so getting them all away for a race that lasts anywhere from 15 hours for big boats to 25 hours for the smallest is a major organizational feat. Getting all classes away takes about half a day. The ferry authority is obviously involved in the planning and has no problem with the required modification to the ferry itinerary. The ferry turn-around at the terminals is about 15 minutes and the transit time terminal to terminal about an hour. So instead of picking on the race committee, lets doff our caps to them and the ferry skippers :-)

@Michael Pope: Specifically she is about 550 tons and has a service speed of about 12 knots. Name is M/F Marstal.

TP

Great insights. Certainly the right camera angle can make things look more dramatic than they really are. Thanks for the information.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 14:58   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Glad you all enjoyed it :-)!

Now, Carsten has the misfortune to be from Copenhagen, all of 85 statute miles distant on the far eastern outskirts of Denmark, so he may not know such significant facts about his native land. But I see from his profile that he is now in the REAL South Seas :-)

Cheers

TP
yeah - but we who hail from the heart of denmark know that all you provincial folk have a "little brother" complex :-)

On a serious note, I sailed the "southern ocean" many times and nosed into every harbor we can get our 7 foot keel into. The "southern ocean islands are magnificent sailing and get better every time you sail there

Didn't know about "texas" though.............................

WE're heading north your way and will b e in alaska sometime next june

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 17:13   #23

Quote: "... we who hail from the heart of denmark…"

Oh blimey :-0)! For the benefit of non-Danes: As Denmark has evolved, fully a quarter of the country's population is huddled in Copenhagen. Given Denmark's geological instability, that has become a real problem. Her angle of heel has become so extreme that some years ago it became necessary to prevent the country from capsizing altogether by building a sort of buttress so she can steady herself up by leaning on Sweden. They call the buttress "Øresundsbroen" ;-)

Anyway, Carsten, can't wait to meet you in person when you get here.

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 14:20   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Quote: "... we who hail from the heart of denmark…"

Oh blimey :-0)! For the benefit of non-Danes: As Denmark has evolved, fully a quarter of the country's population is huddled in Copenhagen. Given Denmark's geological instability, that has become a real problem. Her angle of heel has become so extreme that some years ago it became necessary to prevent the country from capsizing altogether by building a sort of buttress so she can steady herself up by leaning on Sweden. They call the buttress "Øresundsbroen" ;-)

Anyway, Carsten, can't wait to meet you in person when you get here.

Cheers

TP
yes, "give me your huddled masses tired and poor.." The reason everyone lives in Copenhagen is that they somehow managed to escape from the other parts of Denmark.

We should be up you way next summer - you're buying the beer!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, men