Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 19:41   #46

Re: Ask me about Taleisin...

lol... the sea wants payment for safe passage! She took your sunglasses the first time. And now your car keys! best to pay up front with a few coins!
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:47   #47

Boat: Wiley Mockingbird 32

I hope I don't come across as an asskisser. I'm fixing up a neglected Tartan 25 in hopes of doing some coastal cruising (and eventually more bluewater). Should our paths cross I would love to say hello. I intuitively understand than Seraffyn is out there sailed by others (wouldn't it be funny to rename her). I was unaware that Taleisin had changed hands.

Generally i think a famous artfully fitted wooden craft designed not to carry an engine probably ought not carry such. I'd be more inclined to skirt the grey area by carrying a 6ph outboard for the dinghy, and maybe figure out some polite way to attach a temporary motor mount off the stern for it if push came to shove.

Main thing is: sail the ever living f__K outta your classic vessel Taliesin! (and really to do that, there ought not be any question of engine need be installed or not (altho, personally, I'd have the working dinghy outboard ready to help just in case, cause my last name ain't Pardey even if I have read a lot of their excellent books)).
Old 15-01-2016, 19:55   #48

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
lol... the sea wants payment for safe passage! She took your sunglasses the first time. And now your car keys! best to pay up front with a few coins!
I've heard that a boat is a hole in the water that you put money into, but surely this is ridiculous?

I will say this though.... I'm surely learning that I shouldn't have anything that's worth much money - I must be prepared to have it go to the bottom...
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Agrippa View Post
I hope I don't come across as an asskisser. I'm fixing up a neglected Tartan 25 in hopes of doing some coastal cruising (and eventually more bluewater). Should our paths cross I would love to say hello. I intuitively understand than Seraffyn is out there sailed by others (wouldn't it be funny to rename her). I was unaware that Taleisin had changed hands.

Generally i think a famous artfully fitted wooden craft designed not to carry an engine probably ought not carry such. I'd be more inclined to skirt the grey area by carrying a 6ph outboard for the dinghy, and maybe figure out some polite way to attach a temporary motor mount off the stern for it if push came to shove.

Main thing is: sail the ever living f__K outta your classic vessel Taliesin! (and really to do that, there ought not be any question of engine need be installed or not (altho, personally, I'd have the working dinghy outboard ready to help just in case, cause my last name ain't Pardey even if I have read a lot of their excellent books)).
Owning and sailing a vessel like Taleisin comes with an implied contract stating that you have to talk to those familiar with the boat and be polite to them. It's part of the deal... we don't mind, we get to meet interesting people, it's part of the fun.

Where are you sailing at the moment?
Old 16-01-2016, 01:09   #50

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Can I, if it's ok, ask you about Taleisin

I've read this whole thread and I can see you have a wooden traditional, historical boat without an engine. Clearly some others have seen pictures of her and I've picked up there was another thread somewhere about her that got high jacked which is pretty common on CF

So, where can I see some pictures?
How long is she and what type of sail plan?
Where are you located?
What are you going to do with her?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:00   #51

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

I've read this whole thread and I can see you have a wooden traditional, historical boat without an engine. Clearly some others have seen pictures of her and I've picked up there was another thread somewhere about her that got high jacked which is pretty common on CF

Where are you located?
Just google Taleisin and/or Lin & Larry Pardey. The other thread was not about Taleisin. Eben politely started this thread in order to keep from hijacking the other thread because as soon as I realized what boat he had I couldn't stop asking him questions about her. To be fair what makes Taleisin so special is not just what a great boat she is. It's the journeys that we've shared aboard her & Serrafyn & the lessons we've learned in the process.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 06:42   #52

Boat: CD25

Ebson
A boat is a hole in the water that you pour your heart into
Pete scituate harbor( where Serraffyn is moored)
Good luck
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:06   #53

Boat: Wiley Mockingbird 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
Owning and sailing a vessel like Taleisin comes with an implied contract stating that you have to talk to those familiar with the boat and be polite to them. It's part of the deal... we don't mind, we get to meet interesting people, it's part of the fun.

Where are you sailing at the moment?
Good Morning Eben (or perhaps Good Evening where you are),

I hope I did not come across as impolite. I woke up this morning thinking about my suggestion of rigging an outboard mount of the stern, and in hindsight, I think that's a pretty lame idea (I can't really fault the Zinfandel. It was just resting in the bottle, minding it's own business...) Anyway, I'm not particularly inclined to hang an outboard of the back of my own dilapidated vessel; maybe, but only as a backup or temporary measure. Or have I not read your thread closely enough? Are you currently using a 2.5hp?

In answer to your question, I'm not actually sailing anywhere at the moment. I acquired my vessel in poor condition. The Atomic 4 gasoline inboard had been submerged in rainwater due to a broken fitting in the cockpit drains. I've taken steps to extract the water and lubricate the inner workings. The engine and transmission will turn over. I'm reworking the fuel line. The fuel tank is completely empty as was disconnected from the system. I see that as a plus. I anticipate a carb overhaul, but hope I don't have to tear the whole engine apart down to the crankshaft.

If the Atomic 4 is unsalvageable, I'll probably look into following John Vigor's advice given in his The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat (p.72), "there's nothing more reliable than a hand-start, raw-water cooled, single-cylinder diesel with good big fuel filters." But who knows, Mr. Zinfandel might think that the space occupied by the engine might make a great wine cellar.

My particular slip is the least accessible in a relatively tucked away small marina. It would be more prudent to have a working engine, even if it is a temporary one. There other obstacles to setting out as well. I'm inclined to completely redo my rat's nest of an electrical system. And the more I look at the mast, the more I think it came off another vessel...

Anyhow, I'm really intrigued by Taleisin's sculling oar. I definitely want some sort of sculling apparatus. A long oar with a fixed blade probably makes the most sense in my case (gotta make oars for the tender, too). Or I might try improvising some attachment so my whisker pole can serve double duty. Maybe I could make a butt cap for the other end, use it as a push pole, too!

This yuhol with an angled handle looks pretty cool:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-158700.html

I'm not quite ready to scull to Hawaii, but I like this fancy rudder:

Did you ever post an image of Taleisin's sculling oar? I think I've seen an image of Lin using it, but I can't seem to find it. Basically I would like to know if is asymmetrical, and if so, what shape?
Old 16-01-2016, 10:51   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

Where are you located?
Like what was pointed out, use google - it knows Taleisin very well. She's 29 ft, cutter rigged - google will tell you all of this too. A lot of people on this forum has actually been onboard her since Lin and Larry spent their life sailing around the world.

I'm located in Auckland, New Zealand - seems most sailors end up in New Zealand, apparently it has to do with the fact that NZ is downwind and they don't like the idea of having to leave by sailing up wind...

Our plans are simple, get to know Taleisin, learn to sail her and then figure out what's next. We've got a LOT of sailing to do in our home waters, lots of islands to explore etc.
Old 16-01-2016, 10:54   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
Ebson
A boat is a hole in the water that you pour your heart into
Pete scituate harbor( where Serraffyn is moored)
Good luck
That sounds like a better deal, so far I've put sunglasses and car keys in that hole.

I've been thinking about this problem, I'm going to start a new charter company. Payment will be to replace what ever I might be putting overboard for the day....

Sounds like you're in an interesting harbour!
Old 18-01-2016, 23:36   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
You wont believe it!

I ditched work this afternoon and went out for a sail...

All went relatively ok, had a bit of fun and games getting back to the mooring, it was just Annie and myself. We had a great time.

Got back to the dock with Ducky (the inflatable with 8hp motor on it), took the outboard motor off and promptly lost the damn trim rod overboard.

Where is coin deposit you speak of?
Old 19-01-2016, 05:50   #57

Quote:
You wont believe it!

I ditched work this afternoon and went out for a sail...

All went relatively ok, had a bit of fun and games getting back to the mooring, it was just Annie and myself. We had a great time.

Got back to the dock with Ducky (the inflatable with 8hp motor on it), took the outboard motor off and promptly lost the damn trim rod overboard.

Where is coin deposit you speak of?
One thing I've learned over the years is that once the Sea takes it it's hers. Having spent countless hours with nets, swim masks, magnets, etc I can tell you it's a futile effort to try to find & retrieve your lost booty.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
One thing I've learned over the years is that once the Sea takes it it's hers. Having spent countless hours with nets, swim masks, magnets, etc I can tell you it's a futile effort to try to find & retrieve your lost booty.
Now when you say stuff like that it starts to sound like a challenge.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:33   #59

Quote:
Now when you say stuff like that it starts to sound like a challenge.
It's all a challenge but nothing more so than cruising in an 8 ton boat with no motor. Clearly you don't run from a challenge.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:39   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
It's all a challenge but nothing more so than cruising in an 8 ton boat with no motor. Clearly you don't run from a challenge.
Absolutely not! In my day job all the "impossible to solve" problems always end up with me. It's the sense of accomplishment that follows after pulling something off that I love. With a boat like Taleisin we will get to experience things that most people on boats never will. While I get that most will argue that they wouldn't want to, it feels so awesome when you're able to do something that most people wouldn't even dare to take on.

A silly example of this is that I learnt to shave with a straight razor, we have electric razors today so it would seem pointless. If you ever want to feel alive, put an insanely sharp blade to your throat and shave it! Sure there's risk, but the experience is what its all about!