Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2014, 20:11   #271

Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Righto. We also find that sheeting in the headsail a bit takes a bit of pressure off the main making it easier to reef. For those claiming modern cats can't capsize, I wouldn't be so absolute about it. Its clearly within the realm of real risks.
Of course. The point is, it's a risk that can be reduced to almost (but not quite) vanishing point quite easily.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 20:17   #272
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Well boys and girls, I became a captain today. I started out my lessons on a J/24 for the first 3 days then a J/105 for the next 3 days. I found a big difference between them especially docking. Next was 2 days on a Hobie 16 catamaran followed by 2 days on a Tasman 35 catamaran where I found a huge difference between the mono hulls and the cats. After the lessons were done and I got all my paperwork they turned me loose for a few hours on a 12' Hobie Bravo. What a blast that was.

Anyways, I liked the Tasman 35 cat because of the roominess and ease of sailing. I liked the mono's too, but the difference for me is the roominess and the flat ride of the cat. I'm not so sure if I could handle 10-20 days in open water at a 20 degree list.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 20:32   #273

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Well boys and girls, I became a captain today.
Oh swell, another instant "captain". Didn't we just have a long discussion about this phenomenon?

Razoo, good onya for getting your feet wet, but please, please, don't start on the "I'm a CAPTAIN" stuff. I hope that before long you will garner enough experience to understand how little you know.

Jim
Old 08-07-2014, 20:45   #274
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hey Jim..... You seem to be in a bit of a funk today...

Perhaps this will help

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 20:54   #275

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Razoo might very well not have been following the thread about use of the word "Captain".
Old 08-07-2014, 21:08   #276

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Razoo might very well not have been following the thread about use of the word "Captain".
Welcome Capt. Razoo.

We Catamaran types are not so formal with regard to rank. As far as I'm concerned, all you need to be called "Captain" is the right kind of hat. In fact, let me grab a martini and my Captain's hat and we can have a real Captain's toast!

ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 21:27   #277

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[QUOTE=Pelagic;1580465]Hey Jim..... You seem to be in a bit of a funk today...

Perhaps this will help

Yeah, maybe so... sitting here in Pittwater too long. Hope to be going to sea within the week. But still, three lessons and "Captain"?

Jim
Old 08-07-2014, 21:44   #278
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Oh swell, another instant "captain". Didn't we just have a long discussion about this phenomenon?

Razoo, good onya for getting your feet wet, but please, please, don't start on the "I'm a CAPTAIN" stuff. I hope that before long you will garner enough experience to understand how little you know.

Jim

lmao....Thanks Jim for the congrats!!! Don't worry Jim, the only captain I'm ever gonna be is of my own vessel.
Old 08-07-2014, 21:45   #279
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post

probably not lol
Old 08-07-2014, 21:48   #280
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Welcome Capt. Razoo.

We Catamaran types are not so formal with regard to rank. As far as I'm concerned, all you need to be called "Captain" is the right kind of hat. In fact, let me grab a martini and my Captain's hat and we can have a real Captain's toast!

Awesome! Thanks for that. Cover your eyes Jim.....I'm a Captain I'm a Captain I'm a Captain I'm a Captain....lol
Old 09-07-2014, 00:22   #281

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44

Razoo, congrats on getting to call yourself "Captain." What organization did you go through, and what qual did you get?

My wife and I just got our RYA Day Skipper quals out of Malta.

We did ours on a Dufour 365. Good size to manoeuvre in tight spaces (frikkin' Mediterranean moorings! ) but not big enough for us to enough living on for any length of time.

We're already starting to look for some cats to charter

Don't worry about calling yourself Captain or not. Are you in charge of the vessel? That tends to be the title that is given to you regardless of how many years you have at sea, or how many miles under your keel.

After all, what do they call the guy that graduated last from his med school class?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31   #282

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

The thread was focused in some part on whether it would be pretentious for amateur sailors to insist that others call them "captain" (including in social settings).
Many commenters wanted to reserve the title for serious professional captains.
Others pointed out that use of the title is often situational, as when the Coast Guard or an immigration official wants to speak to the Captain. There was also a somewhat academic sub-discussion based on professional mariner's credentials referring to "masters" rather than "captains" and a bit of word history, naval tradition, and miscellany thrown in.
In other threads, there have been not necessarily flattering references to "credit card captains", sometimes with reference to charter areas where standards for renting out boats might not be especially rigorous.

Richie Valens:
"Para bailar La Bamba
Para bailar La Bamba
Se necessita una poca de gracia
Una poca de gracia
Para mi, para ti, ay arriba, ay arriba
Ay, arriba arriba
Por ti sere, por ti sere, por ti sere

Yo no soy marinero
Yo no soy marinero, soy capitan
Soy capitan, soy capitan
Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba, bam"

"I'm not a sailor, I'm not a sailor; I'm the Captain".
Valens' song came from a traditional folk tune of Veracruz, a maritime city that has been known as the key to Mexico.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:05   #283

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Welcome Capt. Razoo.

Gotta get me one of those. Until then I will have to be satisfied with being Master and Commander.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 13:18   #284

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44

Off track from what Razoo started here, but an interesting topic.

In my opinion a bit more emotive than required, and in the end likely that's all that it is.

The exact same discussion could happen on the aviation side as well, which is where I'm getting my thoughts on the matter.

I've flown on airlines with pilots that have less experience that I do, and if I ever find myself in a little C172 owned by a 19 year old, same thing will apply. He is the owner, pilot, aircraft commander, you can even call him captain if you like.

End of the day, the little paper with his name on the registration and licence means he is in charge both de jure and de facto.

Any other discussion based on how thick/cool your logbook may be is only useful at the bar trying to impress the other pilots afterwards.

Razoo, congrats on the ability to actually be in charge of the vessel now. This when you really start to learn, when you realize there may not be someone there to ask, and it's all your fault
Old 09-07-2014, 13:27   #285

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
SNIP

Razoo, congrats on the ability to actually be in charge of the vessel now. This when you really start to learn, when you realize there may not be someone there to ask, and it's all your fault
Bottom line here, if it is your fault you are the captain.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls