Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 17:13   #421

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think the experienced multihullers here have constantly maintained the position that the chances of a well designed multi flipping is about the same as a well designed mono sinking. These are the facts if you take the time to research them.
I might also add that it's very rare for a multihuller to go on the mono forum and berate their boats but it's common place for the monohull crowd to come on the multi forum and tell us our boats are crap. Jealousy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mate, please note that I am NOT denigrating catamarans. I am addressing the statement that catamaran owners are being having rude mono owners coming on board and reviling the multihulled boat and their owners. That has not been the experience that my friends with multis have reported to me.

And further, in this discussion we are talking about experiences out in the real world of long term cruising, NOT ranting on CF. The internet, while a useful thing, does not reliably reflect reality, at least in this application.

And Mark, if you should read this post, note that my post that you quoted was directed at Cruising 44, not you.

Finally, no, I'm not jealous. There are aspects of multihull vessels that I like and admire, but this monohull meets my requirements very well for now. I could have purchased a cat instead. In fact, I almost bought a stretched Catana 42 just before this boat came on the market. It is possible that some of the rabid monomorons are indeed jealous... who can tell what goes on in someone else's head? But no, not me.

And now back to our scheduled discussions about sailing, I hope!

Jim
Old 25-08-2014, 17:18   #422
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

CATS... The new Black!

Jim..... I like the phrase "monomoron"

Shame that some multihull owners lump all mono owners together when describing anticat behavior.....

they probably were once monohullers

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 17:30   #423

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I might also add that it's very rare for a multihuller to go on the mono forum and berate their boats but it's common place for the monohull crowd to come on the multi forum and tell us our boats are crap. Jealousy?
I think the major reason you dont see multihullers on mono threads is because when compairing monos, its uasally between monos of different makers and models, BUT on the multi threads, the multi hullers compare their twin hulls to that of a mono, its not Jealousy, its just a mono owners view of the multi...
Chances are if you left Mono hulls out of the subject , you would NOT get a responce..
When you kick a dog, expect to get bitt....................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 17:34   #424
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mate, please note that I am NOT denigrating catamarans. I am addressing the statement that catamaran owners are being having rude mono owners coming on board and reviling the multihulled boat and their owners. That has not been the experience that my friends with multis have reported to me.

And further, in this discussion we are talking about experiences out in the real world of long term cruising, NOT ranting on CF. The internet, while a useful thing, does not reliably reflect reality, at least in this application.

And Mark, if you should read this post, note that my post that you quoted was directed at Cruising 44, not you.

Finally, no, I'm not jealous. There are aspects of multihull vessels that I like and admire, but this monohull meets my requirements very well for now. I could have purchased a cat instead. In fact, I almost bought a stretched Catana 42 just before this boat came on the market. It is possible that some of the rabid monomorons are indeed jealous... who can tell what goes on in someone else's head? But no, not me.

And now back to our scheduled discussions about sailing, I hope!

Jim

I apologies Jim, I didn't mean to direct that towards you. My view point is from being a multi owner for the last 23 years, many of those full time cruising. And yes, I like your boat and understand your reason for owning it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 18:57   #425

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I'm confused - I quoted your post where you responded to me specifically by name and cruising grounds and quoting words I had wrote in an earlier post.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 19:05   #426

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This tongue and cheek thread is like trying to justify what type of woman you should fall in love with.....

Totally unnecessary and who cares as long as you are capable of that love.
This too sometimes come down to what kind you can afford!!

~FollowingCs~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 19:16   #427
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
This too sometimes come down to what kind you can afford!!

~FollowingCs~
Nah!.... sailing is definitely an interactive thing where the joy is not limited to your checkbook but your ability to share that passion.

Same with finding a partner if you want to keep it real.
Old 25-08-2014, 19:18   #428

Now the BS starts to fly. In 6 years of full time cruising at home and away, I have never heard anyone with the audacity to criticize a fellow cruisers choice of vessel to their face. If someone that stupid did this, their name would be mud in a short space of time, and I believe would find themselves on the wrong end of a sharp stick. I am here at anchor surrounded by friends most of whom I know only by first name and boat name. There are cats, monos, sail and power and made from every type of material. If someone started bagging out someone for their choice. .... well I can't and haven't seen it happen. When does it stop, would the expensive denigrate the frugal, the big the small, the fast the slow, the new the old. I haven't seen it in the real world, so it doesn't happen. This is just my opinion based on my experiences.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 19:23   #429

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm confused - I quoted your post where you responded to me specifically by name and cruising grounds and quoting words I had wrote in an earlier post.

Mark
Crikeys, I'm getting confused too. Too many responses to too many posts. If I have mistakenly said the wrong thing to the wrong person, I am sorry.

But I can't get around the fact that my personal friends with multihulls haven't had the same sort of experiences that are herein being discussed: strangers coming on board and dissing you and your boats.

That is unacceptable behavior in the cruising world as I have experienced it, no matter what sort of boats or people are involved.

Jim
Old 25-08-2014, 19:32   #430
CF Adviser

[QUOTE=SimonV;1613864]Now the BS starts to fly. In 6 years of cruising at home and away, I have never heard anyone with the audacity to criticize a fellow cruisers choice of vessel to their face. /QUOTE]
Simon.... There are small and singleminded cruisers out there.... set in their ways who believe they are Gods gift to sailing knowledge.

I believe Mark and other MH's put up with their BS but it does not reflect the majority.

Marketing Hype often creates these black and white comparisons, but I am confident that most cruisers are like Jim and yourself in taking a more encompassing view of a sailors' choice.
Old 25-08-2014, 20:02   #431

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I think the major reason you dont see multihullers on mono threads is because when compairing monos, its uasally between monos of different makers and models, BUT on the multi threads, the multi hullers compare their twin hulls to that of a mono, its not Jealousy, its just a mono owners view of the multi...
Chances are if you left Mono hulls out of the subject , you would NOT get a responce..
When you kick a dog, expect to get bitt....................
My understanding from the multihulls threads, many of which were shut down is that multi hullers are only discussing the relative merits of various multihulls and were never comparing them with monos. The issue only comes about when a rabid monohuller gets involved.

You see it differently.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 21:15   #432
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
My understanding from the multihulls threads, many of which were shut down is that multi hullers are only discussing the relative merits of various multihulls and were never comparing them with monos. The issue only comes about when a rabid monohuller gets involved.

You see it differently.

Lmao....a rabid monohuller

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 21:21   #433

Quote:
True, but then I don't get catamaran owners (and we socialize frequently with these odd folks) telling me that my boat is unsafe because it has a bolt-on lead keel which will either fall off or cause me to sink... like the more rabid multi-fans keep posting here on CF. I think this would be the analogous situation to what you describe.

And oddly, our friends with multi hull boats of all descriptions haven't mentioned being boarded and berated by monomorons, and that is the point I was trying to express: people may harbour these feelings about other designs, but they don't get in your face about it. Thus, it seems that it could be a personality thing that is stimulating these apparently unpleasant encounters. Or simply that you know lots of folks with very bad manners.

So, enough already! Lets get back to sailing and away from angst amongst sailors.

Cheers,

Jim
Ah yes, of course it's MY fault.

Please explain to me what I did wrong in this instance - we entered a marina we'd never been to before. While I was backing into the berth an elderly gent kindly came out on the finger and caught our lines for us.

Once we'd tied up, I said "Thanks mate, very nice of you." To which he replied -

"Well I figured you cat guys need all the help you can get, since your boat is more stable upside down than right way up."

To which I just smiled, and said "Yeah, right, well thanks again, see ya."

Of course I realise this was ENTIRELY my fault. But what (apart from owning a catamaran) did I do wrong? I'd just like to know so I can learn from my mistake.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 21:23   #434
CF Adviser

Thinking a bit deeper into this.. (yikes)

Would it be fair to generalize that experienced multihullers are more attracted to leading edge technology than the average sailor?

I have found them to be the very best advisors on electronics, solar management and generally most 'leading edge' discussions on everything from storm tactics to new anchors.

Could it be that this very commendable technical mindset (which would obviously attract some challenges)..... Also create a more defensive "already listening" reaction to honest questions from the mono crowd?

I am here mostly to learn from others by comparing their experiences with mine..... Not to judge!
Old 25-08-2014, 21:23   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Now the BS starts to fly. In 6 years of full time cruising at home and away, I have never heard anyone with the audacity to criticize a fellow cruisers choice of vessel to their face. If someone that stupid did this, their name would be mud in a short space of time, and I believe would find themselves on the wrong end of a sharp stick. I am here at anchor surrounded by friends most of whom I know only by first name and boat name. There are cats, monos, sail and power and made from every type of material. If someone started bagging out someone for their choice. .... well I can't and haven't seen it happen. When does it stop, would the expensive denigrate the frugal, the big the small, the fast the slow, the new the old. I haven't seen it in the real world, so it doesn't happen. This is just my opinion based on my experiences.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LOL! You haven't seen it, so it doesn't happen!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls