Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 14:13   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Atlantic Crossing Experiences

My lucker wife who for some reason wouldn't just join the forum herself asked me to ask this:

For those who have crossed the Atlantic how did you find the trip? She really asked "how many found it to be smooth". Don't scare her too bad now as you know what this is going to mean when I try to talk her into it (she'll be on a plane while I find a crew for the trip).
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 14:29   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
After some atalantic croosings , i find the trip easy , croosing the atlantic in the right time of the year is a pleasant experience, im talking from the caribbean to azores , canaries to caribbean, in the wrong time wil be a nightmare for any sailor, the easiest way is from north to south, the way back is a diferent history , but overall is a easy trip. Enjoy .Best regards.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:21   #3

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
I am very curious about this too...had a captain tell me you can expect avg 4-6 ft seas... if that is the case, how do you ever make a meal etc..

Standing by...

cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:43   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Well 4 to 6 ft, is correct, sometimes 3 to 4 , sometimes 9 to 10 .....
How to make a meal?? in my case with 4 to 6 ft seas i dont have any problem in use the oven and the burners, some times is time to click the oven harnes, in rough weather sandwiches and pasta, nice and easy , and if the weather is really bad just open a cold can or some snacks until the weather improve, dont forget the fish..... a nice tuna is very welcome onboard, lol.... cheers...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 16:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Atlantic Crossings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
My lucker wife who for some reason wouldn't just join the forum herself asked me to ask this:

For those who have crossed the Atlantic how did you find the trip? She really asked "how many found it to be smooth". Don't scare her too bad now as you know what this is going to mean when I try to talk her into it (she'll be on a plane while I find a crew for the trip).
US to Europe was not nice.... Carribean to Europe 2 great solo crossings... St Martin to Azores 21days in a Beneteau 331... US trip in signature..lol
Don't let the Missus read it

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 17:43   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

Which crossing do you mean?

Europe to the West Indies was the worst ever - too much wind, too little wind, and swell from all possible directions, often from two or three at the same time.

West Indies to Europe was OK, but we did not like the heavy trafic and the foggy / gusty weather in the vicinity of the Azores.

RSA to Brasil to West Indies was my fave, esp. the passage from Brasil to Martinique (2200Nm in 22 days and this one takes you across the doldrums). The take off from RSA was very windy and bouncy (in excess of 5 m (15') swell and up to 40 knots wind for about two days, even though we waited and picked up a weather window.

Next time we go, we already have a secret plan to avoid the rolly silly 'run' from Las Palmas to Barbados (yes, there is (?) a better way).

b.
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 18:03   #7

Meals no problem here till about 10' swell, if the swell is regular, which is hardly ever in fact.

Aside from being a very competent driver/watchwoman, my first mate is a master chef. I do sometimes slow the boat down or lay her hove-to to help the chef though. In extremis, we stop cooking and go with ovened food until the weather improves.

I believe love/navigation/cooking are the three pillars of offshore sailing. Cooking probably the most difficult of the three to master.

b.
Old 11-01-2010, 18:09   #8

I was going to ask this question myself.. I am looking at some excellent boat options in the BVI and wanted to sail it around the Carib for a while and then to the med since I'm the closest I'll be when I sail it back to NZ/OZ..

What is the best window of time?? I think the hurricane window is from mid year to nearly NOV?? Is this right can someone confirm or correct this??

Cheers..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 19:04   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I have only sailed across the Atlantic one time from the Canaries/Cape Verde to Barbados. It was an easy trip with either no wind at all or tradewinds pushing us along at a nice clip.

The trip was easier because we were a catamaran, and so we did not roll from side to side in the Atlantic Swells and we didn't have much in the way of a flopping mainsail that accompanies rolling. Rolling and a flopping mainsail drives some people bonkers. There were unseasonable tropical storms to the north sending swells to the south, and that made the voyage more uncomfortable for monohulls that were susceptible to rolling.

I wish all passages were as pleasant.

I think the trip back across the Atlantic to Europe would be much more of a challenge. I guess that's why I sailed west around the world.

This is what it's like to sail downwind across the Atlantic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DOWNWIND-CRUISING.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	12547
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 19:15   #10

West Indies to Europe normally departing end of May / early June.

Gibraltar to the West Indies anytime, but no sailing between Cabo Verde and Trinidad between July and October. You can sail from CV to Brasil or Guyana during the hurricane period though.

b.
Old 11-01-2010, 19:20   #11

Dave - cool pic! Tricks like this I can only play in an anchorage, and not a rolly one too.

BTW Why did you elect to sail in two monohulls?

;-))
silly barnie
Old 11-01-2010, 19:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
This is what it's like to sail downwind across the Atlantic.

Attachment 12547
How irresponsible! Unless that t-shirt is actually a harness, life-jacket and personal epirb all rolled into one... What if a rogue wave hits??

To the original poster, tell your wife that crossing the Atlantic is so straightforward that even a 14yr old kid could do it on his own... and has.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 19:57   #13

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel
Arc Rally 2006

I have only done it once....so I am no expert. I came across on a 46 ft Bavaria in the ARC 2006 from the Canary Islands to St Lucia. It took 21 days at sea. We had no problems as mostly we were in the trade winds and sailing down wind was fairly painless even in days of 35 knt winds. To me it was a great adventure and sense of accomplishment. Here is a you tube clip....we love fishing so there is a bit of fishing on the trip.

Good Luck and enjoy the adventure.
CabezonBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 23:28   #14

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
I've only crossed the atlantic 3 times; once from Madeira to St Martin (coming out of England), once from canaries to Antigua (from the Med), and the other from St Martin to the Palma (Med) with a stop in Azores. All three were very pleasant. Many times not enough wind.

Now the south pacific ocean, that's another kettle of fish....
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

For a look at someones east/west experiences this season check out this blog by a friend of mine who's doing a circumnavigation..... he's a "Senior Citizen" and was Solo from Madiera to the Carribean.... he and the boat are virtually the same age....
'Guiding Light' a 1936 Gauntlet 12 ton Cutter
He's a great guy fulfilling a life time dream..... Enjoy

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing