Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2022, 02:26   #1

atlantic crossing first time

After 1 year of searching all over the world for the right ketch I fall in love with a 1981 whitby 42 . Need some TLC and up grades as your money last. But solid rigging, good engine, immaculate interior. good autopilot.

The plan is to sail back the St. John river out of JAX in to the atlantic and to Puerto Rico thru Bahamas. a 7 to 9 day trip. I have a captain and 2 crew mates. Me well I counnt as half helper my experience is costal crusing.

The list of things, epirb battery ,dingy and motor check satellite phone. check.

The question is what is the right food for 4 man? a case of water per person every 2 days is correct? Should I plan 2 days non stop and 1 stop to check fuel oor water? Any advice really appreciate
SV Mis Amores.
the Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:22   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: atlantic crossing first time

Strange questions. The right food for for 4 men will be whatever they will happily eat! What is "a case of water"? Surely you don't mean cases of bottled water!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:09   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Aviator View Post
After 1 year of searching all over the world for the right ketch I fall in love with a 1981 whitby 42 . Need some TLC and up grades as your money last. But solid rigging, good engine, immaculate interior. good autopilot.

The plan is to sail back the St. John river out of JAX in to the atlantic and to Puerto Rico thru Bahamas. a 7 to 9 day trip. I have a captain and 2 crew mates. Me well I counnt as half helper my experience is costal crusing.

The list of things, epirb battery ,dingy and motor check satellite phone. check.

The question is what is the right food for 4 man? a case of water per person every 2 days is correct? Should I plan 2 days non stop and 1 stop to check fuel oor water? Any advice really appreciate

SV Mis Amores.

The last crossing we looked at 2 litres a day per crew of drinking water. In practice out worked out a little less. We did not allow showers or other significant fresh water use.

Good ran to an equivalent of a three week shopping , again it depends where you are provisioning we had good results with par baked bread , various local vegetables and some vacuum packed meats.

Plan out a few daily meals and then multiply
Old 12-11-2022, 07:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
I have a captain......

SV Mis Amores.
Let me start with- I am NOT BIDDING for your work, or looking to replace your captain ----But if you hired a captain with transat experience, (s)he is the person you really should be asking!!!

That out of the way--- Water for drinking should be about 2liters per person per day. The volume each person drinks should be monitored, folks who are not drinking enough should be encouraged to drink more water. You also should have an electrolyte replacement aboard to add to the water. Buying a case of water is cumbersome and wasteful. Get a bunch of large 3-4 gallon jugs of water and decant it into cups with covers. This also facilitates making electrolyte drinks.

Then there is water for cooking (it will be boiled so can come out of the boat's tanks) and water for cleaning dishes. Dishes should be cleaned using salt water and get a freshwater rinse (once again can come out of the tank).

You could also get some 5-gallon water jugs to replenish the water tanks aboard.

Finally, there is washing. I require anyone touching food stores to wash their hands first. You can use one of those waterless soaps, but they dry out the skin. We use boat water. Aside from that there are baby (Adult) wipes to clean the body. Full showers are a special event are are really driven by how the water supply looks.

The overhead of having more than 3 aboard is significant. Hence, I only run with 2-deckhands and me.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:32   #5
Nearly an old salt

Typically trans alt will have 4crew as it facilities very easy and relaxing watch Rotas

Until you know the crew demands it’s very hard to be objective about provisioning as you’ll maybe have vegetarians and other crew with particular food desires etc. the easiest is to have a few meals together so the provisioning person gets a “ feel “ for what’s needed

Typically in our case breakfast was Cereal with uhf milk , yoghurt granola and honey were also popular. Occasionally as a treat we did eggs and bacon etc. depending on how the crew came off watch breakfast was not a communal meal every day. Lunch and dinner were always communal.

Lunch was nearly always some form of stuffed baguette.

Dinner elaborate as the cooks desires , stews were popular , we had fillet beef in orange and garlic at the half way point. Mashed potatoes always went down a treat. Canary potatoes kept much better then Northern European types.

Don’t underestimate the importance of food especially extremely regular food times

Have a good store of candy bars for peckish night watches. Plenty of coffee tea and cup-a-soups etc.

After that really those cooking should sit down and do a few day meal plan. Scale up accordingly. You don’t need day by day exact planing as people change there minds and some dishes dont work as well as perceived.

Curries are good if the crew like it.
Old 12-11-2022, 23:10   #6

Boat: Lagoon TPI

For us two meals per day worked well on ocean crossings. Fitted in with the watch shifts. As said above, you better liaise with your “captain” to facilitate you and the crew.
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 00:00   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

SV Mis Amores.
This is a 7-9 day trip with the possibility for reprovisioning in the bahamas. This is not a conundrum of epic proportions. Make a huge pot of spaghetti sauce (enough for 3 days). Make a huge pot of Chili (enough for 3 days) Pack salad and veggies for the first 3-4 days including bacon, ham, cheese etc for the toppings and some bread (you can also bake while underway). If you dole this out correctly you have dinners for at least 10 days. Breakfasts - eggs and either ham or bacon. or yoghurt and trailmix or bread and cheese or a mixture of all of these.

Lunch - wraps filled with whatever everyone likes.

RE water - 2 liters per day x 4 persons, x 10 days = 80 liters. Surely your boats tanks can hold 80 liters? (20 gallons). Buy a case of bottled water so you can keep a few bottles in the fridge ensuring you have cold water for dinking. Assuming you do have more than 20 gallons of tankage, people can take walt water baths and either just rinse off with fresh or use wipe downs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 00:20   #8
Nearly an old salt

I’m not a fan of volumes of pre cooked food. It rapidly gets boring especially if crew take a dislike. It can go off quickly in the heat too and requires fridge space to store

On passage there literally loads of time and cooking can be a great pastime. The crew will thank you when good fresh cooked food is served.

For safety I also avoid large volumes of things to be heated
Old 13-11-2022, 02:28   #9

Years ago when I did my many months-long trip I stocked up on giant bags of pancake mix, flour and rice. I know that's a lot of carbs, but those are staples. Costco is your friend!
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 00:50   #10

thank to all , my captain have his provision list. I am trying to also be prepare with the right stuff. Is not a long voyage . But since I am always planning ahead incase of emergency , I do the same when I am piloting my aircraft. over plan only affect the $$.

I have 200gal of water and 200 of diesel. So sea water showers with some fresh water rinse should do. thanks
the Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 01:17   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

When are you planning to depart? I question your route and your expectation of a seven to nine day trip. When the Christmas winds start blowing you will be dead into the wind on your proposed route. That will slow you to a crawl or even stop you cold. Has your captain done this route before?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 05:04   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

With a crew of 4, I can't see why you'd need to plan an intermediate stop. Having the Bahamas as a back-up is reasonable, but if you enter even for a day, you'll be forking over $$ for a cruising permit that you won't really be using. And from JAX, the Bahamas is against the grain, and would add at least a day, but more likely two to the overall trip. 1100 miles to Puerto Rico; 7-9 days is optimistic, but doable.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 05:10   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

is that boat down in Green Cove? hard top bimini? believe I knew the couple who sailed it .. mostly a bahama boat. good to know she will sail again.

Tags
atlantic crossing