Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 12:48   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 25
Auto-inflatable life jacket

I signed on as crew on an ARC rally and one of the requirements is an auto inflatable life jacket w/ harness. I've looked at Mustangs, Crew savers etc. Does any know of a good place to purchase an AFFORDABLE one? I know it could save my life and this is no place to skimp on money blah blah blah.
I just don't have an extra $300-400.00 to spend right now? any good discount houses for something like this?

Thanks
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 13:02   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
re: Auto-inflatable life jacket

Over here in Germany it is harder to get non automatic ones.
Automatic means self inflating once a water sensitive tablet dissolves.
Semi automatic means you pull a line & it inflates automatic.

Www.svb.de or www.awn.de

should have something in their budget line to suit your needs.

Mine are automatic and came with a kit to make them semi automatic should you wish to do so.

Good luck,

Franziska

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 13-05-2016, 13:22   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
re: Auto-inflatable life jacket

I put this one on my wish list at Amazon, but don't know how good it is.
http://www.amazon.com/Revere-Comfort...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
$220, check reviews on amazon
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 16:20   #4

Re: Auto-inflatable life jacket

Mustang HIT Inflatable Life Jacket / PFD with Harness

259 for mustang hydrostatic with harness. That's what we have and love them. Get a Kong double tether from Jamestown distributors for less than $80 and you're set.

I'd consider skimping for daysailing or island hopping. Not ocean crossing.
Old 13-05-2016, 16:50   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Mustang HIT Inflatable Life Jacket / PFD with Harness

259 for mustang hydrostatic with harness. That's what we have and love them. Get a Kong double tether from Jamestown distributors for less than $80 and you're set.

I'd consider skimping for daysailing or island hopping. Not ocean crossing.
better prices than Amazon it seems:
Defender.com Search Results: Saf005A
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 17:28   #6

Boat: Vagabond 14

Find a place that will let you manually inflate and put it on....
Check how it fits INFLATED VERY STIFF.

I just experienced my auto-inflating vest inflating and trying to choke me with a 6 inch dia neck hole. The result was: I was dog paddling beside my boat (on its side... small sailboat) struggling to get the damn thing off.

If your first thought when the thing inflates is: "I gotta get this damn thing off NOW!!!" its not a good life vest.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 17:37   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

fish-
Are you starting the trip from here in the US? Or over there?

I ask because the TSA officially has finally said they will allow small CO2 bottles as part of inflatable PFDs. HOWEVER, they concede that the individual inspector that checks you at the airport may still arbitrarily decide to forbid and confiscate it. Leaving you out another $25-35 and needing to find one at the other end of your flight.

Just to say, if you're flying, you may want to buy the vest AFTER you fly, or order it and have it delivered "there", to avoid that hassle. (Many people have flown with them, but that's relying on luck versus the joker in the uniform.)

You might also want to check the reviews. Crewfit have long been absent from the US market and only recently came back with USCG approved vests. They make some damned good vests that have gotten excellent test results. But Mustang pretty much dominates the US market, and IIRC some of their vests also got high marks for comfort. They are NOT all the same, in fit, performance, or price. And, with any of them, you really want to buy a spare ("re-arm") kit, so you'll have it if you need it. And remove the CO2 cylinder during storage, so it can't be accidentally triggered and wasted.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 09:41   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 25

HS. I will be flying from FL to Annapolis and I thought about traveling with the Co2 canisters. I ended up stopping at West Marine, not my favorite store but thought I could gain some knowledge there? I found a nice auto PFD with harness attachment rings on sale for $149.00 It looks and feels substantial and a good price so I grabbed it. I might just UPS this and a few other items that are not fly friendly up ahead of time?
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 10:41   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

UPS, USPS, and FedEx all interpret the federal regulations on hazmat differently, and they each have their own terribly confused hazmat departments. And published hazmat rules on their web sites. But I think any one of them will agree that as long as you ship it by GROUND (so, no priority mail, no air express, etc.) they won't care about a small CO2 canister. Although you can have fun calling them and listening to the different conflicting answers you get from each.(G)

Flying with the vest, no problem. Shipping the inflator, maybe $6-10? So it might even pay to leave the original inflator home, order one or two new ones (since you'll want a spare anyway) by Amazon or a merchant IN Annapolis, and then just pick up the new one there, instead of shipping the original one. And that way when you do get home, if your inflator was confiscated before the return flight, you'll still find one waiting for you.(G)

The inflators have long been internationally classed as "life saving equipment" under UN shipping regulations, and the US is bound to observe those, by treaty and act of Congress. So, the airlines have all allowed them to be carried in the baggage or in the cabin. (Well, duh, there's one in the life vest under every seat on over-water flights!) The problem here has always been the TSA. Who took about ten year to recognize that they were REQUIRED to allow them. And now, still mumble about "well, unless the schmuck at the checkpoint can't understand that."

But if you're flying with a checked bag ($25?) you can just bring it in that. The TSA only fires 500 baggage inspectors for theft every year. (sigh)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, lift