Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 11:44   #1

AutoPilot problem

Hello. I have a WH P-3C on my sailboat the has worked well until yesterday. When I engaged the AP it wouldn’t hold course - it started to wander off to port. After a few retries I noticed that the rudder angle indicator on the remote was pegged all the way to starboard. Since then I’ve checked the mechanical attachment on the RAT to be sure it’s at 90 degrees when the wheel is centered; I’ve checked the electrical connections for corrosion and tightness; I’ve checked for frayed wires; I’ve tried making adjustments via the yellow POT; and I’ve gone through the entire set-up and adjustment process. Nothing changes the problem.

Any suggestions on something else I can try?

Thank you
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 09:39   #2

Boat: Trlåren 31
Re: AutoPilot problem

I suspect your rudder position sensor based on what you wrote. I believe it is a simple potentiometer. I'd try to disconnect it and then measure resistance through it from its terminal. The resistance should change as you change the position of the sensor.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 12:05   #3

Hi. We checked the resistance and it changed. I the meantime, we found an electronic technician who has worked on the WH autopilots and he’s going to look at it tomorrow . Thanks again.
Old 15-06-2021, 12:16   #4

Boat: Trlåren 31

Good luck and, win or lose, please post your results.

I have an old WH P3 that I am still using and would like to keep going as long as I can. Your info might be useful!
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 05:24   #5

After testing the cable from the RAT to the HEB and the functioning of the potentiometer in the RAT it looked to this non-electrical expert that the HEB was the recalcitrant player on the team.

A marine electronics guy who has experience with WH confirmed it today. I tried to get in touch with Will Hamm from WH for days, but he’s definitely checked out. And so our WH AP will be replaced. We’ll keep the hydraulic pump and the ram and patch in the brains, etc. from another manufacturer.

Anyone out there who is still running a WH now has a source for the following: remote control unit, flux compass, and RAT (disassembled), The HEB, the problem, is available, but I don’t know how it could help much, unless you’re quite adept with electronics.
Old 27-06-2021, 06:36   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico

RAT,HEB,WH,AP.... wish I could help.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot