Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 13:53   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Back onboard and busy,busy,busy.

Well, I never thought the day would come, but I am glad to say I've been back on the boat, with my missus for nearly a month now. Lots to get done still but loving every minute. For those that didn't know, my girlfriend Jan had heart issues and then developed seizures, so I was expecting to be calling this whole idea off. But since she has been on board her health is coming along for the better in leaps and bounds. She's even cycling the 6 mile round trip to the grocery stores.
Once we get our monthly cash injection this weekend, we can get back to getting the stuff together we need for our journey south.
Not that I know much about boating, but one thing we have both learned about boaters themselves, is that they are the most helpful, friendly people you will ever meet. This was the best idea I ever had and I just wish I'd jumped many years ago.
Peace out all
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 14:23   #2

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
I remember ya! Good to have ya back and glad to hear the good news!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 15:11   #3

Re: Back onboard and busy,busy,busy.

Thanks for the good wishes Gelfling. I'm just up the creek from ya at J & M marine.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22   #4

Then we will have to get together sometime to exchange stories! My wife has a 'heart condition' in that she has a mechanical (St. Judes) valve. I call it her 'iHeart'....though there aren't any good navigation apps for it and it clicks louder than the 14hp diesel that powers Gelfling! HAHA!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:26   #5

Boat: Boatless
Very glad she's doing better.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:29   #6

Many thanx Fishin4Bogey, this climate seems to be doing a lot of good for her.
We should indeed get together sometime Gelfling, our transport is now bicycles but Stingray point is an easy run I reckon.
This week I hope to get the engine remounted and carry on trying to get all her stuff stowed. Knowing we weren't planning on going back to the house, I told her to bring everything she needed and anything of value. Okay so I managed to offload the chainsaw and large gas generator to her Dad, but I wasn't expecting quite so much. Still, it is a Centaur with tons of storage so it'll all go somewhere eventually.
Some few issues to sort, such as locate a couple more anchors, some more jib sheets and other odds and sods, but loads of boat second hand shops around and tons of help from the neighbours. got a small hard dinghy on the way soon as we can find transport to get it.
Couple of tests runs from this weekend into next week on the bay then a longer trip up to Tangier Island.
Hopefully then we will have sorted any issues and be ready to hit the ICW for Florida, storms permitting.
I will be buying a fridge this weekend. Regardless of the arguments, sitting in this heat for so long with ice melting faster than we can shovel it in the cool box, enough is enough. I want cold beer and ice cubes for the rum.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:10   #7

Glad all is getting well ....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03   #8

Thumbs up on the trip to Tangier. We have been out by ferry, but have yet to make the trip with Gelfling. We REALLY need to free up our schedule! When we do 'free up that schedule' I hope to be in the Chessy for spring and fall.....NORTH in summer (not a fan of heat) and south in winter (super cold doesn't work for me either). I will say, I prefer sailing in the Chesapeake in January vs July. Fortunately we have maintained some wind this summer...so far.

I sent you a PM about a jib option.
Old 10-07-2013, 15:56   #9

Aye the heat has been somethin' else. Impossible to get any work done for any length of time.
We were out on the bay with the neighbour the other week and the wind was good to us all the way. Had a most excellent sail.
Thanks all for the good wishes, hopefully I'll get back to participating on the forum a bit more now I'm actually on a boat lol
Old 05-11-2013, 16:04   #10

Well we eventually set off south from Deltaville. The first leg down to mobjack bay was the stuff of glossy magazines selling the dream. We anchored not too far off the disused lighthouse and settled to a glorious sunset. All was well with the world and this cruising stuff was a real doddle.
Day two took us down to Norfolk through Hampton onto the Hospital point anchorage. What a bloody nightmare. Half the American navy were pratting around in the area and turning round to see a huge warship crawling all over your arse is a very nerve jangling experience. Especially after the call over the vhf about staying 500 yards away or deadly force could be used. The missus was steerring at the time"FFS !!! how am I supposed to keep 500 yards away if he's following me?". We eventually got out of his way and began the dance of the bridges and lock.
Our outboard goes great going forward, it just loses interest when we need it to sit at idle waiting for a bridge. It sputtered and died every time. After long and deep conversations with the bridges and lock the name "Mystic" was resonating down the ICW over the vhf. At every stop, someone would stroll up to ask how we were managing with the engine.
We got down to Coinjock and pulled into the Midway marina. Friends we'd travelled down with took a good kicking on the Albemarle so we had chosen to kick back for a couple of days 'til the heavy northerlies blew out. We headed south to an anchorage to prepare for the crossing. At one spot coming towards us was a large barge. He slowed and agreed our paths. Still, his bow wave swept us to one side just as a huge blast of wind hit. "THUD!!" Our first official grounding. We are liars no more.
A friend we'd met at the marina who was just ahead, tried pulling us off but he couldn't get close enough without risking his own boat so we waved him off on his way. The Missus called the marina we just left and for a bloody good price one of the staff came down and very professionally dragged us into deep water. "Phew!!"
We had to turn around and go back to the marina to pay up obviously as we weren't carrying any cash.
Sadly, it was enough to drain our food and fuel budget to the point we have to terminate the trip for a couple of weeks and leave the bot here while we go to Jans parents for a break. the marina have found us a slip at a good rate and have tried so damn hard to work with us so I can't thank them enough. They also have a damn good bar and great food at "Crabbies". If you stop here tell them hello from Mystic.
We haven't given up, but we have learned a lot of lessons.