Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 06:53   #1

Bad boatyard Part 2

So my initial post described what I think was way too many hours to remove and replace a propshaft....and that there was limited communication and no heads up on what the cost would be (even though I asked!).

However, the boat is back at the slip. The main reason to remove and replace prop shaft and rubber volvo seal was to stop the constant dripping from the seal. The boatyard manager said the "pits" in the propshaft were preventing a good tight seal by the lip of the volvo boot. Ok done!

Guess what....still dripping! Seems to drip more after the engine has been run but intermittently it'll drip even when the engine hasn't been run. Notified boatyard manager on Friday march 19th and he said he'd have tech look at it and adjust. It is now March 24 and I have had no update. They had a credit card on file....I have since called and reported credit card stolen!!! I'm not paying for services until this issue is fixed correctly and no leaking.

I asked the boatyard manager about alignment of shaft and he said it was fine.....so not sure what he is going to do to fix it.
Snowgoose71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 07:40   #2

Re: Bad boatyard Part 2

Was the seal greased before the boat was splashed? Did you or anyone else ‘burp’ the seal i.e. squeeze it to expel the air from it after launch? Both or either of these issues will cause dripping with a Volvo seal.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 07:49   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I think Volvo says to replace the seal every 500 hours although I have had one that lasted over 2000 hours. Also very important to grease and burp seal. Use a large drinking straw (used to get them from McDonalds) to grease the seal. Squirt an inch or so of grease into the straw, pinch end flat, slide into seal, squeeze grease out of straw into seal.
Old 24-03-2021, 12:53   #4

Boat: Lipari 41

We replaced a Tides Marine seal and it did leak initially. Called Tides and they said it had to be run in for several hours....sure enough it stopped leaking after putting some hours on it
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 06:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2boat View Post
We replaced a Tides Marine seal and it did leak initially. Called Tides and they said it had to be run in for several hours....sure enough it stopped leaking after putting some hours on it
Hopefully that is the case. The seal was burped when placed back in the water / before starting the engine. I do not know if they greased the lip of the seal or not. Plan on running her a few hours this coming weekend for blessing of the fleet and will check it out after that.
Snowgoose71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 15:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose71 View Post
Hopefully that is the case. The seal was burped when placed back in the water / before starting the engine. I do not know if they greased the lip of the seal or not. Plan on running her a few hours this coming weekend for blessing of the fleet and will check it out after that.

It might well be worth greasing the seal yourself. I once stopped a drip by doing that. I’d undergreased it slightly. The technique shown above is a good one.
Old 25-03-2021, 15:52   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Equally use the Volvo grease. I did try to use a white Castrol grease only to find the seal dripped and it all had to be taken apart cleaned and put back in again.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 15:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Equally use the Volvo grease. I did try to use a white Castrol grease only to find the seal dripped and it all had to be taken apart cleaned and put back in again.

Yes indeed.
Old 25-03-2021, 17:31   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
How very like Volvo to do that! They seem to often use proprietary bits where standard issue would work well, driving up the profits from after sales service.

Jim
Old 25-03-2021, 18:31   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bad boatyard Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
How very like Volvo to do that! They seem to often use proprietary bits where standard issue would work well, driving up the profits from after sales service.

Jim
Back in the day we used to say "that's why their engines were cheaper.. sell near cost and make the profit on the bits".

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 19:59   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
That hasn't been my experience at all. In the ten years I've owned my boat, I've used any grease available, from generic blue wheel bearing grease to lately the Lubriplate 130AA recommended for my Maxprop. No drips in all that time. I think the secret is to use plenty of grease (there are several lips in the seal) and hit it at least once a year. And certainly burp it if it's been out of the water.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat