Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2022, 08:17   #1

Bahamas ?? Re-post from Liveaboard Forum

Greetings,

I will be slowly transitioning to a full-time (mostly) liveaboard scenario in 2-3 years thoughout the Caribbean.

However, between then and now my plan is to be on the vessel 1-2 weeks per month and potentially 3-4 weeks per month for a few months during the year.

I will be traveling back and forth to CONUS and ease of commute (flight frequency and distance) to CONUS has landed me in the Bahamas. Although PR could also be an option, believe my time underway will be better in the Bahamas........but if someone feels otherwise I'm all ears.

Does anyone have knowledge with this type of arrangement and if so, which areas (marinas) facilitate a safe and efficient (close to airport) location to either slip or moor? Realizing every insurance policy is unique, so vessel may be brought to Rock Hall, MD or Grenada during hurricane season or potential hard in Bahamas.

I have spent hours researching on line at various marina websites but am having difficulty finding ground truth. For instance, one marina's rate was $4,200 per month and another was $840. I know the southern harbors in Grenada have mooring balls that are reasonable that also employ someone to keep an eye on the boat (moorings/watch services that take excellent care of boats). Does the Bahamas have anything like this?

Feel free to PM me.....

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Kurt
Aurora75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 09:20   #2

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard
Re: Bahamas ?? Re-post from Liveaboard Forum

Following this post with interest.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 09:36   #3

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

I did what you are contemplating and had a slip at Nassau Yacht Haven Marina. I'd fly in monthly for about 10 days and then return to the USA for work. When in the Bahamas, the Exumas and Eleuthera were quite close. Covid cut short my plan, but up until then it was working just fine. I was very happy with the marina. They have good facilities, including a decent restaurant, and a very good supermarket was within walking distance. I don't know what they are charging by the month these days, but it is worth inquiring. There are numerous flight options from the USA.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 19:33   #4

Thanks Roniszoro......I'll start my due diligence with Haven. Much appreciated.
Aurora75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 19:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Having been to over 70 countries, islands, etc, the B'mas...in my humble opinion, are the greatest cruising grounds on the planet. You could spend a lifetime there and not see it all. A gazillion islands, excellent diving, friendly local's, many other cruisers, parties, excellent sailing, etc. In short..heaven on earth !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 13:25   #6

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Can't agree with you McHugh - I used to rate Bahamas as No1 but have now put down to 2 and have Australia's Coral Coast ,as No1.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 14:23   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We just hauled our boat in Puerto del Rey Marina in PR and were really out off. But that is because we are cheap skates. If you have TONS of money it would be ideal.

What is your slip budget? What size boat? Mono or cat? A super expensive boat?

Don’t know about other PR marinas.

Do you require the boat to be in a slip? Perhaps just hanging on a mooring would work?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 15:28   #8

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

You might consider the Abacos. Numerous out islands with marinas or moorings. Fly into Marsh Harbor from Florida. Do need to take ferry to out islands though. Our favorite is to fly Airgate out of New Smyrna Beach.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 17:11   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, this is certainly a tough question. Though I consider myself a well travelled sailor, I've not been "everywhere" and likely have missed many good cruising spots.

Nonetheless, my 2c remains the B'mas. It's an a grouping of islands that spans a very long way. Each group of islands has their own flavor. you can have a choice or being on your own or travelling with the " herd". I don't remember how many islands there are in the B'mas, but seem to recall somewhere around 700.

If you like diving, scuba or snorkeling, hands down, the B'mas is the best.

People have often asked me my favorite place and I always respond...the B'mas.

The thing about the B'mas is that is an island chain that spans hundreds of nautical miles. For the most part, year round sailing is possible.
True, most folks leave during "hurricane season" but that is a toss of the dice. Typically, you will have ample warning as to if, when or where a 'cane might hit.

Personally, I like to dive, and spend as much time underwater as on top of it. I love seafood, and hardly a day goes by without seafood being on the menu. The B'mas excels in the regard. There are a gazillion reefs around, most reachable by snorkel gear alone.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 18:56   #10

Consider Great Harbor Cay marina in the Berry Islands. Good pricing. Hurricane hole protection. Very friendly, laid back small island. No crime problem. Excellent marina staff. I’ve left my boat there for a month while going back to the US. Would be easy to arrange for someone to check on her. Twice daily flights to Nassau, three times a week directly to Ft Lauderdale. Airport is less than a mile from the marina.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, liveaboard, rum