Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 10:54   #31

Re: Bahamas, Things You Don't Need...

If you just base what you need, on what people have done it before without, we saw two kids in Staniel Cay in kayaks who had paddled them from Miami.

And, not much else on board but them and water.

But, the first time I sailed to the Bahamas, was in 1987, on a sailboat that didn't have:
1. GPS
2. autopilot
3. EPIRB
4. life raft
5. AIS
6. radar
7. watermaker
8. solar panels
9. outboard motor for dinghy
10. grill

It did have an inflatable dinghy (hell to paddle) depth finder, a VHF and a compass (and photo copies of paper charts that had the detail of restaurant place mats). And, not much else.

I like the way I do it now better.
Old 29-07-2017, 11:17   #32

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Years ago ran into a young couple, been cruising for two months in the Bahamas. Their boat was one of the prototypes for the J24. It looked inside like a prototype, rough as a cob. They had nothing, no engine, no battery, cooler with no ice and small one burner camp stove. They were just sailing in and out of the cuts in the Exumas, having a great time. We invited them for dinner, they were so happy. Looked at a ice drink like it was from haven.

I could see me telling the Admiral we don't need all that stuff and she would say, is the boat setup for singlehanding?
Funny to read your post because I ran into a young couple with pretty much the same situation. They had started dating in college and she was one year older than he was so she finished her masters degree for the year after he graduated while he worked as an engineer that year and poured every penny and spare moment into fixing up a 25ish', 1970ish vintage fiberglass sailboat and then they set out. They were living very simply and had a very limited "wardrobe" that they weren't wearing out in a hurry and seemed very happy as well and as you mentioned, seemed to always be happy to accept an invitation over to my air conditioned sailboat with its stereo they could crank up loud. They had been eating a lot of fish they caught so were also very happy to cook pizza aboard or eat almost anything else that was free and wasn't fish. What a way for a couple of 24 year olds to spend a year before joining the rat race and it's within the financial reach of just about anybody who wants to give it a go. I'm amazed that there aren't more who do something like this.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 11:47   #33

Yeah, you really dont have to have a lot of things. It's like cruising in your neighborhood. Probably depends on where you go though.
You don't NEED radar.
You don't NEED AIS.
You don't NEED a full keel. My friends damaged their spade rudder TWICE. Shallow anchoring.
You don't NEED all chain.
You don't NEED a windlass.
You don't NEED solar. Refrig is nice, you ARE going to need something to keep the batteries up.
You don't NEED a massive battery bank.
You don't NEED a water maker. If you are living in Georgetown you are right. If not you are going to need something.
You don't NEED refrigeration.
You don't NEED a staysail/solent jib/storm jib/trysail.
You don't NEED a drogue/sea anchor.
You don't NEED a life raft (I think you do need an EPIRB).
You don't NEED a SSB or SatPhone.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 11:57   #34

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Seems like the main thing you left out is you don't NEED to be comfortable. You reference young kids traveling without lots of gear, but youth makes it easy to hump fuel and water every week or more. To me a watermaker and solar are essential as I'll be 55 when I go. As well as a folding bike for the biweekly food trek. There's enough work to do on a boat every day without making it hard on yourself without basic comfort items.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 13:23   #35

These are things you don't need, till you do! Murphy being ever present, if you don't have, you will probably wish you did.
Especially, Radar, AIS, and a life raft. All these others are just nice and add a high level of comfort, and is not comfort of some importance. As the saying goes, you don't know what you got, till it's gone. I hate lugging containers of fresh water any distance. A water maker makes this chore a bad memory!

You don't NEED all chain. (can save the boat from having the rode cut, coral heads are a bitch!)
You don't NEED a windlass. (can save your back, especially if you use chain)
You don't NEED solar. (can save your radios, ais, radar, water maker, windless, ice, nav lights, and other minor and useless things!)

You don't NEED refrigeration. ( I like a cold beer, enough said!!!!)

You don't NEED a staysail/solent jib/storm jib/trysail. (Till you do!)

You don't NEED a life raft (I think you do need an EPIRB). ( Till you get run over and sunk (because you did not have a AIS or radar to see them comming or they to see you before running over you, you need both!)

JUST MY MUSINGS< IMHO!
Old 29-07-2017, 14:18   #36

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
things you don't need:

A list of things you don't need...

Jim
Jim summed it up! I double down!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 14:37   #37

Boat: Dufour 40

Fenders.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 15:15   #38

Boat: Pearson

praise the basic, let it all hang out , freedom, do it , no worries , let the sea feed you . be happy ....
Old 29-07-2017, 15:45   #39

You do need a windlass and chain...

and to get to the bahamas you need radar, ais and a bunch of things you don't need...

I don't NEED anything on my mooring in Northport... no mast, no sails, no anchor... no engine...

What a stupid post if I must say so.,
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 16:00   #40

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

This is a photo and it's caption fom my wife's blog for June 6, 2015. You really don't need much.

We are sometimes asked what sort of boat you need to go to the Bahamas. Well, the near boat is a 22 foot Catalina sailboat and is worth maybe $3000. The larger boat is a 70 foot long Sunreef sailing catamaran and is worth about $3,000,000. We anchored beside them at Shroud Cay in the Exuma Islands. We later saw the Pennsylvania registered Catalina in Marsh Harbour 150 miles farther north.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 16:11   #41
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Why do some people need to get their panties in a wad (as someone else appropriately pointed out)? So YOU didn't find it helpful or found it "stupid". So scroll on by. I found it very helpful, as well as some of the comments. New to sailing, myself, but the Captain has a lifetime of experience. That doesn't mean I don't try to learn all I can about as much as I can. Leaving a land life to take up a sailing/cruising life is f-ing scary! The OP brings me comfort as me and the Captain are still debating some of those items (except we're not just going to the Bahamas, so there's a difference).

So all of you who don't like the topic, GET OFF IT!
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 16:17   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

150 miles .................... must have sailed back and forth a few times

You don't need a heavy winter coat!
Old 29-07-2017, 16:18   #43

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Why do some people need to get their panties in a wad (as someone else appropriately pointed out)?
Sorry to hear you don't like to see people express their opinions on a public forum.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 17:24   #44

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
150 miles .................... must have sailed back and forth a few times.
I just measured a little over 120 nm straight line distance from Shroud Cay to Marsh Harbour on a chart here at home, so I don't think 150 nm sailed would be too far off for a one way trip.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 18:39   #45

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
Fenders.
It would appear that you've never been in Georgetown at the peak of the season in a squall.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas