Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2022, 07:20   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Bahamas vs E. Caribbean for ease of boat life

I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything that actually addressed the issue I’m having right now. I sailed from Florida to Bimini on Jan 1, 2022 and got stuck there waiting out fronts. Got a day long window and made it to Chub and got driven into the marina again to wait out fronts with strong winds without decent protection to anchor. Got another one day window and took off for Eleuthera as a plan B route to get to the Exumas which has been the goal. Waited out 3-4 days of strong wind there in an anchorage that didn’t provide the protection that AC said it should have. Finally made it to George Town and have been stranded on the boat due to high winds and waves now for days. In the 34 days I have been in the Bahamas the fronts have made it to where only about 5 of those days were good and morale on the boat is very low. When I left the plan was just to stop at all the fun stuff but based on the beating the boat and crew have taken the only thing I want is an anchorage in still water but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. I have to believe it’s because of how low the islands of the Bahamas actually are. My question for people who have done both the Bahamas and E Caribbean does it get better in the Caribbean? All I can say is this life I have worked years towards, the reality has been a major let down. Even as I type this the boat feels like it’s under way and has for days however I’m anchored in what is supposed to be one of GT’s best anchorage’s. If this was going to be life as usual I would be heading back to the states and start looking at RV adds lol. My hope is that the height of the E Caribbean islands, DR, P Rico, VI’s and Grenada would offer superior protection while on the hook which is what I’m in search of. Rough days at sea are fine, no problem because it’s all about the destination to us. Rough days on the hook are not fine, sure you might have a day or two but best I can tell life in the Bahamas requires anchor alarms every night and trying to determine before making the journey all the way down there is if this is common place there. We all talk about the thorny path etc and how sails are but I’m more a cruiser than sailor even though I have sailed for years and I’m ok with that. My ideal season is to not cover a ton of miles and to have time to get into the local seen which is why I’m trying to make a determination if the E Caribbean offers better life on the hook.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:27   #2

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Bahamas vs E. Caribbean for ease of boat life

Me thinks you picked the wrong time of year. Been that way several times but later in the spring.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:37   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I am in George town as well. In my opinion It isn't a great place to shelter for weather, but it is a good place for stocking up and meeting fellow cruisers. We crossed at the end of November. Up until getting to Georgetown, I haven't had any problems being protected from the winds and have only been at dock once in 3 seasons.(our very first check in at great harbour in 2019)
There have been a lot more fronts moving through this year though. So it has been more challenging.
I haven't been to the carribean yet so I can't answer your question. But I would be happy to share any info I have of the Bahamas, we are on our 3rd year here(6 months each year) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. We are anchored at sand dollar beach
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:42   #4

WRT Georgetown, two things:

Crab Cay
Red Shanks

If you need more protection than those offer, you need to quit sailing
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:00   #5

Well, you sound unlucky, or just need to get used to cruising. Bahamas are a lot easier in many ways. Much of the time you are in the lee of islands while traveling. Sure the 'low' islands offer minimal protection when the wind blows hard, but the water is pretty flat.

On the other side of the coin; the E. Caribe can have steep 8-10 footers between islands and other trials. Not to mention long passages to the DR, to PR, etc etc.

Things will get nice quickly now though, so not to worry. The sun will be out soon. By June it will be too hot!
Maybe it's just been a strong weather year?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:11   #6

Boat: Nauticat 33

There were like 10 days at the end of January where the wind was less than 10 kts, maybe one windy day in the middle. I was spearfishing in the Exuma sound every day and it was nearly flat the whole time. What are you classifying as windy? Yes, it's been windy the last week, but nothing crazy. I'm sure it's quite flat at Monument Beach, Sand Dollar, either anchorage at Lee Stocking, Black Point, etc. It's quite windy here on Long Island, but very nice in the anchorage.

What size boat are you on? Are you anchoring in the correct locations? As close to land as possible? Are you using a bridle or some chain and rode? Balancing expectations with reality is an important part of anything, especially a 'dream.' However I'll say that with time, you'll generally start to pick up what works best for you.

Also, just FYI, Frazer's Hog just to the east of Chub offers westerly and northerly protection. As well as Great Harbour to the north.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:12   #7

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV.Maverick View Post
I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything that actually addressed the issue I’m having right now. I sailed from Florida to Bimini on Jan 1, 2022 and got stuck there waiting out fronts. Got a day long window and made it to Chub and got driven into the marina again to wait out fronts with strong winds without decent protection to anchor. Got another one day window and took off for Eleuthera as a plan B route to get to the Exumas which has been the goal. Waited out 3-4 days of strong wind there in an anchorage that didn’t provide the protection that AC said it should have. Finally made it to George Town and have been stranded on the boat due to high winds and waves now for days. In the 34 days I have been in the Bahamas the fronts have made it to where only about 5 of those days were good and morale on the boat is very low. When I left the plan was just to stop at all the fun stuff but based on the beating the boat and crew have taken the only thing I want is an anchorage in still water but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. I have to believe it’s because of how low the islands of the Bahamas actually are. My question for people who have done both the Bahamas and E Caribbean does it get better in the Caribbean? All I can say is this life I have worked years towards, the reality has been a major let down. Even as I type this the boat feels like it’s under way and has for days however I’m anchored in what is supposed to be one of GT’s best anchorage’s. If this was going to be life as usual I would be heading back to the states and start looking at RV adds lol. My hope is that the height of the E Caribbean islands, DR, P Rico, VI’s and Grenada would offer superior protection while on the hook which is what I’m in search of. Rough days at sea are fine, no problem because it’s all about the destination to us. Rough days on the hook are not fine, sure you might have a day or two but best I can tell life in the Bahamas requires anchor alarms every night and trying to determine before making the journey all the way down there is if this is common place there. We all talk about the thorny path etc and how sails are but I’m more a cruiser than sailor even though I have sailed for years and I’m ok with that. My ideal season is to not cover a ton of miles and to have time to get into the local seen which is why I’m trying to make a determination if the E Caribbean offers better life on the hook.
======================================

really feel for you.
the weather determines what is now and what is next.
That requires experience I admit do not have.
My way out has been always contract a weather service.
But that is me, learned after Cliff Eastwood, "A man has to know his limitation"
I know mine.
When I get ready will call Chris Parker personally, discuss my boat, situation, goals, expectations, and LIMITATIONS.
Based on this, he will provide me what I need.
This is not advice ( I do not give advice), not even opinions, just a monologue.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:12   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Going to Bahamas this time of year is just an exercise in waiting and hiding from fronts. Done it 3 of the last 5 years and now know to just go later and risk the hurricanes that are well forecasted in time to move.

I spent 3 weeks this time last year hiding at Big Majors and joined others that had mostly been hiding for 2 months.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:35   #9

Boat: Catalina 42

Just to answer part of your question: yes it is better in the Caribbean in the winter! We are currently in St. Martin and have had great weather in the region since Christmas.

Bahamas will get better as Spring approaches but the winter fronts make it a frustrating place to be this time of year. Water too cold for much snorkeling as well (at least in my thin-blooded opinion).
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:40   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We spent 1 season in the Bahamas and then another 6 weeks ir so crossing the Bahamas the next season. I am glad I did this and had the experience but we are not anxious to go back. Don’t go to San Salvador island.

We then spent 3 seasons in the Eastern Caribbean, below the Virgins. I found this much more enjoyable. We are relatively deep draft,6-1/2’, so I have less anxiety in deeper anchorages. We hang on the hook a lot and I could generally find decent protection. Some anchorages are more difficult than others either because of the number of boats or because there is some exposure to roll.

It also has a lot to do with the boat. Another cruiser was miserable on his similar sized boat right next to us while we were very happy. Our boat is just not as susceptible to roll as his was.

But also there is more to see and do in many places. It will take a year or 2 for you to visit all the various islands. When you are engaged with new and interesting places, when there is a lot to do ashore, then the boat life has compensations.

And, if you get sick if it then there are a few very peaceful anchorages where you can relax. St Martin lagoon and Antigua Jolly Harbor and Portsmouth, Dominica cone to mind.

In the meantime I would look into some kind of “flopper stopper” to make life more bearable. You can rig one up. Here is an article.

Offshore Sailor: Flopper stopper - make your own
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well, you sound unlucky, or just need to get used to cruising. Bahamas are a lot easier in many ways. Much of the time you are in the lee of islands while traveling. Sure the 'low' islands offer minimal protection when the wind blows hard, but the water is pretty flat.

On the other side of the coin; the E. Caribe can have steep 8-10 footers between islands and other trials. Not to mention long passages to the DR, to PR, etc etc.

Things will get nice quickly now though, so not to worry. The sun will be out soon. By June it will be too hot!
Maybe it's just been a strong weather year?

Spot on.

If you sail you need wind, rejoice in its motive power and the accompanying sea states.

Riding the elevator up and down takes some getting used to but can be enjoyable as its rhythm reaches into one's soul and psyche. For me a dead calm boat feels like I have become disconnected from a living sea state, and I really dislike motoring and needing to run the iron jib, consuming fuel, hearing an engine drone on, and smelling the exhaust.

As to lying at anchor, I typically prefer to spend most of my time off the boat, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving in the water, hiking, walking the shore, discovering and making friends with the locals or helping them with a task, fishing, and if on the boat then engaging in maintenance, repairs, and upgrade projects, or reading / studying or attending to my activities of remote managing my businesses affairs, or cooking fine and elaborate meals.

Enjoy the comparative mildness of winter in the tropics. Surely the iguanas are not dropping from the trees because they are too cold. Geez, Ground Hog Day has just passed, it will become very hot in a few months, and you will long for the cooler breezes and cooler refreshing water. The water temperature at this time of year is probably perfect for extended time spent frolicking in it. Then soon thereafter comes hurricane season and that involves reversing course to bug out of the danger zone time.

Bon voyages.
Happy and healthy New Year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	complaining about winter.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	252325  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:33   #12

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We spent 1 season in the Bahamas and then another 6 weeks ir so crossing the Bahamas the next season. I am glad I did this and had the experience but we are not anxious to go back. Don’t go to San Salvador island.

We then spent 3 seasons in the Eastern Caribbean, below the Virgins. I found this much more enjoyable. We are relatively deep draft,6-1/2’, so I have less anxiety in deeper anchorages. We hang on the hook a lot and I could generally find decent protection. Some anchorages are more difficult than others either because of the number of boats or because there is some exposure to roll.

It also has a lot to do with the boat. Another cruiser was miserable on his similar sized boat right next to us while we were very happy. Our boat is just not as susceptible to roll as his was.

But also there is more to see and do in many places. It will take a year or 2 for you to visit all the various islands. When you are engaged with new and interesting places, when there is a lot to do ashore, then the boat life has compensations.

And, if you get sick if it then there are a few very peaceful anchorages where you can relax. St Martin lagoon and Antigua Jolly Harbor and Portsmouth, Dominica cone to mind.

In the meantime I would look into some kind of “flopper stopper” to make life more bearable. You can rig one up. Here is an article.

Offshore Sailor: Flopper stopper - make your own
====================================

will this help?

https://southernboating.com/destinat...oring-bahamas/
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:54   #13

My advice is to look at the chart and not rely on Active Captain. I've never (well...almost never) had a night in the Bahamas where I couldn't tuck up somewhere comfortable based on the current winds and forecast. For example, I had one leisurely stay anchored off to the east of Highborne Cay while the radio was filled with stories of uncomfortable and even panicked crews crammed into all the usual spots on AC.

Start with the chart and some satellite imagery based on winds. There are thousands of great anchorages not on AC. If it looks good don't worry whether someone else says so -- check it out yourself.
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 13:10   #14

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

As I read this in my office in San Antonio, TX in an ice storm.. I would rather have a bad few weeks in the Bahamas than ,,,,
embibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:38   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
Just to answer part of your question: yes it is better in the Caribbean in the winter! We are currently in St. Martin and have had great weather in the region since Christmas.

Bahamas will get better as Spring approaches but the winter fronts make it a frustrating place to be this time of year. Water too cold for much snorkeling as well (at least in my thin-blooded opinion).
You are right about the cold water, was expecting to be in much more than I have been but I’m sure the temp will rise a little soon. The fronts have definitely been longer in duration then I expected. Looks like today the wind and WAVES will die down but have been kinda stuck on the boat for 3-4 days. We are anchored between Sand dollar and Chat n chill but as there are 260, last count, boats here the best spots close to land are taken probably for the season. Some of the best hiding spots like Red Shanks etc are not suitable for a boat drafting over 6’.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat, Caribbean, rib