Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 11:51   #1

Baltimore to Rock Hall MD

Hi All,

I have a Hunter 28.5 and I am new to the Chesapeake Bay. My Previous experience was in the Barnegat Bay. I am planning to sail from the Inner Harbor (Canton) to Rock Hall for an overnight. I know it is roughly a 19 km trip, but I was wondering if anyone knew a good planning time for the trip. I was figuring on a max of 8hrs. Also if you have any tips on the trip I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Hunter.sailor
hunter.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 19:50   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Baltimore to Rock Hall MD

It wont take 8 hours. I have done that trip many times in my 33 and even if you have no wind it would be hard to stretch it to 8 hours. Go to Waterman's for seafood!
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 20:26   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

You might get a boost from an incoming tide, not sure how much that far up the bay, ebb would likely slow you. It's been a while since I sailed up there but I thought it was about 5 hours with decent wind.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:46   #4

Thanks for the info, it will help in my planning. I will try Watermans.
Old 08-06-2016, 22:12   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Let me think about this -- 19nm so let's say 20nm and it will take you 8 hours so your hunter can only do about 2.5k -- wow -

if you have dink nice anchorage on outside and protected -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:45   #6

My hunter can do more than 2.5 kts. I was figuring 8 Hrs to be on the safe side. I have never made trip and was looking for feedback from someone that has.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

The biggest hazards you will face is the shipping traffic, and possibly Six Foot and Seven Foot Knolls (just outside of the Patapsco. You probably already know this, but know where the shipping channel is an mostly stay out of it. If it's rough, or even freighter wakes, can stack up on the shallow water over the knolls. It's best to give them some room. Enjoy!
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:46   #8

Boat: Tartan 30

We've made that trip twice recently. We're in the Anchorage marina in Canton. The most recent we did it in 4.5 hours because the wind was perfect. Set sail just off of Ft. McHenry and got a nice lift to clear Ft Howard and shot straight across the bay. Rounded Green 3, turned north and broad reached close the the Rock Hall entrance. Perfect day. The earlier trip we motored, motor sailed and a little sailing and it took us about 6.25 hours total but we weren't in a big hurry.
Watch the entrance to Rock Hall. The green mark to the north of the channel outside the jetty is missing. Navionics had us right in the middle of the channel but we ran aground. A little persuasion from the iron genny with a few waves and we were off. We draw 5 ft. Rock Hall Landing marina is right next to Watermans. Nice place, really nice people. (they were the ones who told me of the missing mark.)
Have fun. It is an easy trip.
Oldlaxer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23   #9

SteveInMD, Thanks for the info.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:27   #10

Oldlaxer1, I am also in Anchorage marina. Thanks for the info and tips. I will be very helpful in our planning. Looking forward to a great trip.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:42   #11

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter.sailor View Post
Oldlaxer1, I am also in Anchorage marina. Thanks for the info and tips. I will be very helpful in our planning. Looking forward to a great trip.
I'm in Anchorage marina also (E24 - Pendragon / Alberg 35). Thanks for the info, this is on our list of trips for this summer. I've been wondering about going in there, we draw 5.5 ft.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Recent ActiveCaptain comments indicate missing ATON (per NTM). Also note the "channel" is just the perimiter once inside.

Second the recommendation of Waterman's! We were there last fall. Enjoy!
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 01:34   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter.sailor View Post
My hunter can do more than 2.5 kts. I was figuring 8 Hrs to be on the safe side. I have never made trip and was looking for feedback from someone that has.

We have done the trip and it took us say 4hours anchor up to anchor down and that includes wandering around looking for the right anchoring spot -

In our Jeanneau DS 40 we calculate everything on 5k -- can we go faster than 5k -- you bet your booty she can but we use it to be on the safe side -- and we get in early all the better -- We are currently in the Black Sea and we need to do a 45nm run and again we will calculate the route based on 5k - our actual will probably be about 6k but then again we got slammed yesterday by unexpected winds and seas and struggled our last 10nm that took over 2 hours to get into port

You need to know what you boat can do and use it as a guide - Our Jeanneau can do easily 6+ k but we always use 5k - do not forget you need to get out of the port into to the anchorage a tack or two maybe --
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 03:40   #14

Boat: Alberg #0

I'm also at Anchorage in Canton, Baltimore! Maybe we should meetup at the boaters lounge sometime :-) I own a slip there, liveaboard and couldn't be happier.

I motored my Alberg 30 back past Rock Hall to get it home upon purchase. Motored all the way due to the rig that needed work. Took 4 hours to Fort McHenry from Rock Hall. The only real issue was the strong incoming tide that required pointing the boat a compensating 45 degrees to stay in the channel. Full keel doesn't help there :-)

Other than that, it's a breeze but can't help with entering rock hall. My boat was on the hard in Chester (well worth the trip up the stunning Chester River if you have time) so we just passed Rock Hall before passing across the bay.

A northerly or southery would give you a nice beam on wind both ways.

Good luck!
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 05:29   #15

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Rock Hall has grown so much ( as have many other quaint locations on the bay ) but still has a lot of charm.

As to the OP question, I think 8 hours is more than enough but it is weather dependent. On memorial day weekend Saturday we sailed from the "R10" mark just South of the channel split to inside White Rocks at Rock creek in one hour. I'd think dock to dock if we were going to Canton would have totaled under 3 hours. We were averaging 7.4 knots that day with a broken block on our main. So I think that's a good estimate.

8 hours on a decent day will put you in St Michaels if the winds a favorable.

The trick is come some time July or August the "Maryland 3H Summer" will kick in and you motor a lot. 3H is Hazy, Hot Humid.

We have a few more things to do but soon enough we will be going to the following great anchorages;

Rock Hall
Dobbins Island ( on the Magothy and gets CROWDED)
White Hall Bay - a little tricky but a 20 minute RIB ride to Annapolis and even less to the best crab place on the bay.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore