Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2024, 07:03   #31

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx
Re: Banging on starter?

Sounds more like a stuck solenoid. Unless it is free to move, the starter will not turn. Pull the entire starter assembly and apply a dialectic grease to the armature bearing surfaces of both the solenoid and the starter, after cleaning them. If the solenoid is devoid of lubricant, you can be certain the starter armature is also devoid of lubricant
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 08:25   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

The solenoid is not engaging, and for a long term fix the starter needs to be removed, stripped down and cleaned out and probably new bushes installed... Something a boat owner could do without taking it to a workshop
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 08:52   #33

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban-Alleria View Post
Personally I would probably pursue the rebuild anyway. There are lots of shops that specialize in that sort of work. Look em up, drive around.
That way you have a new one and a spare - always a good thing - guarantees you will never be in a situation where you need it
Exactly i would do the same...or actually just clean and regrease old like others stated before and mount old back on...if that fixed it you have a spare. If that didn't its broken and need a rebuild and you already have a spare.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 09:22   #34

Boat: Cal 2-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Just be aware that many of the those cheap starters on ebay and Amazon are Chinese knockoffs with a less than stellar reliability record. One common issue is poor castings that crack easily. A rebuild at local starter and alternator shop will be a better option and probably cost significantly less than a new marine one.
I replaced starter on my 1 cyl yanmar only to find it did not spin fast enough to get the engine started. Sure $88 bucks and the rebuild was like $150 but I never had a problem starting after the rebuild.
Char99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 19:16   #35

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Sailboat would not start yesterday. Older marine diesel.

Took a small hammer, banged on the starter, then it turned over and started no problems.

I had read about that trick and yes, it did work, but why? And will it happen again? What is the long-term fix???
A new solenoid will fix this...unless the starter is totally worn out and the drive cog has jammed
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 10:28   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Thanks, and I was afraid of that….

But the good news is that I can buy a brand new starter off eBay for $88 shipped. That is one of the good things about these old engines…..parts dirt cheap…..
You are MUCH better off getting a local starter/alternator shop to rebuild it. It’s is cheap! And you get a high quality starter. Not a cheap knock off. I have done this a number of times with starters and alternators and never regretted it.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote