Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:55   #1

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
Send a message via MSN to irwin28
Barnacles

I was wondering if a boat that is cruising and constantly on the move is less prone to barnacles than if in the marina all the time, being that is if there were no bottom paint etc. I know marinas are nests for larvea but wast sure if it would make a difference or not.
irwin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:40   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
some friends of mine headed down to the Marquesis islands in April and they ocassionally drug a long cargo net under the 46' boat from the bow to sweep away the growth and they were averaging 6k under sail. I would say, yep. it grows if it's wet. Even at anchor when they got there, every 3-4 days Allan would hit the water with a soft terry cloth towel to keep it off.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Seems like I've seen barnacles on whales on NG channel.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 13:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
You're bottom growth can be reduced by frequent movement, but it not likely due to the motion of the boat. Many forms of bottom growth are sensitive to changes in salinity or subject to being eaten by other critters. Any of the southbound vessels that carry barnacles into the Lake Worth Inlet at Palm Beach are immeditely swarmed by reef fish that will crush the barnacles and eat them. Unfortunately they will not remove the scale. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 13:37   #5

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
Send a message via MSN to irwin28
just curious....got some bare spots where i reefed my boat and i catch myself rubbing off the growth in those spots, would like to make one more trip before i would have to haul it out again and i see myself doing this in a daily basis till i get it repainted, but the imput is well appreciated folks!!!
irwin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:04   #6

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
As a marine biologist I can give you a technical explanation if you want.

Barnacles release larvae into the water column whereby the offspring develop while floating about at sea. Once the larvae get to a certain stage of development they start looking for something to attach to so that they can metamorphose into a barnacle and go about their regular daily barnacly business, like all the other barnacles do. There are generally way more larvae looking for somewhere to settle than there are spots to settle and these larvae are in coastal and oceanic waters, just hanging about trying to find some suitable substrate.

When your boat is in the water it will come in contact with barnacle larvae and if there are unprotected or inadequately protected areas that larvae can settle and attach to, they will.

Although your boat may be your pride and joy, your home, etc unless its covered in chemical deterants, to a barnacle larvae it just looks like a great place to set up shop and go about the business of filtering plankton.
Knowazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:37   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I've seen tiny barnacles form on the spinning line of a Walker Patent Log after a while at sea. I thought it was my imagination until I read "Around the World in Wanderer III" by Susan and Eric Hiscock where they describe the same thing happening during their voyage.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnacles