Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 18:42   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Bathtub!

I haven't done this on passage yet, but at anchor I draw a tub just astern of the boat and jump in.

Use waterproof markers, of course.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 19:32   #17

Hey Mark did you ever live on Oahu, Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I haven't done this on passage yet, but at anchor I draw a tub just astern of the boat and jump in.

Use waterproof markers, of course.

Mark
ET12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 20:22   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If my memory serves me right it was a 46 from a BVI outfit that was owned by Canadians and run by a German guy and his wife. This was back in the eighties.
Thanks Vasco, it wasn't mine then.. For a second I had a feeling you might have been talking about my previous boat..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:33   #19

Standard on Morgan 462! Hard to find enough hot water but it contains the shower water. (Also currently needs cleaned!)
jeanofarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:44   #20

Boat: Ontario32

Canadian Bayfield 36 sloops came out of the yard with a bathtub. Turned out to be a great storage area.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:04   #21

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

My Hudson Force 50 came with a bathtub/shower. I have never used it as a tub and probably never will. It is coming out to lower the floor level so I have more head room while showering.
Old 29-12-2016, 11:21   #22

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Just go to my website and click on the Hot Tub button.
Old 29-12-2016, 11:29   #23

Boat: PDQ 36

Yep, here is a boat with a bathtub, they took out the shower and put in this little tub. It's your life, you're a grown up, you can do it if you want to
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 12:01   #24

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET12 View Post
What do I mean when I say bluewater cruising? I mean traveling to surf the biggest waves on planet Earth.
That's what ment.
Hi, please don't think that I'm picking on you here, I'm not.

I'm going to assume that if you're looking for a bathtub and air conditioning on a cruising boat, you haven't done much cruising. The logistics of something as simple as sitting in a bathtub are surprisingly large.

I seem to remember that you want to spend $50,000.

Here's what you need to take a bath in air conditioned comfort while not tied up to a marina with water and power.

1. You'll need a watermaker, probably a big one.
2. You need a generator, and fuel capacity to feed it.
3. You need an air conditioning system.
4. You need a big water heater.

So, for equipment, figure on a few grand for the watermaker, close to 10 for the generator, and another 5k or so at a minimum for the AC unit.

Add a couple k for bits and installation, and your first bath has cost you something like 20k, unless your $50k boat comes with all that kit, and it actually works (not likely).

Besides, it's just such a waste of onboard resources. VERY few real cruising boats have their crew taking baths. Sure, a few boats have tubs, but they wind up being storage bins.

Now, to sail to places where you can surf the biggest waves on the planet, I think that you're sort of picking the wrong conveyance for a couple of reasons.

First, most of the REALLY big wave spots don't have handy anchorages nearby. Think about the North Shore, Mavericks, Cortez Bank, etc. Sort of by their very nature, big surf and anchored boats don't really mix. Yeah, you can find a spot that's kind of close for many of the spots I'm guessing you're thinking about, but also remember that the guys who are actually chasing the biggest surf are standing by to get on a plane at basically a moment's notice when the conditions look favorable for record surf.

Your sailboat will offer no advantages for this. It'll be a liability.

I'd suggest that if your focus is surfing, you're a lot better off living in a cheap apartment in a country of your choice and saving your money for plane tickets to get to the big surf when it happens.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of surfers out sailing, but they're not the ones out chasing giants. If you're happy to lower your sights on the big waves, the sailing plan makes more sense.

The air conditioned bath idea, however, makes very little sense, in my opinion, anyway.

Good luck with it.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote