Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2022, 09:27   #16

Boat: '63 Cal 24, Bayliner Trophy, Arluk 3 Sailing kayak, etc . . .
Re: Beached Sailboat in Block Island on Ebay

In the photo it appears that the Main and Mizzen sails had bern removed.

It appears that an inner foresail may have been the only sail ready to utilize.(Although I can’t be sure as my resolution isn’t great and I can’t see halyard/sheets).

Perhaps this was due to his preparing to put her back into storage as he’d done the past 12 years..?

I feel bad for this 78 y.o. German gentleman. As we age, many (most ??) of us begin to release / let go of some of the “things” in our life. This was rather sudden and had to hurt.
djhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 11:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
It seems to me that he focused on fixing the engine problem instead of focusing on keeping the sailboat safe.

When something goes wrong it is very easy to focus on the wrong thing..

Pretty much this scenario: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...nes_Flight_401
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 12:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
“People are asking me why no one helped him,” said McConville. “He was unable to verify his insurance, and tow companies require that before they assume possession of a vessel in such distress. Without proper insurance, the price for service is extremely expensive. I was not going to put the town marine patrol at risk when there was no person in distress.”

This sounds to me like he tried to call for a tow on VHF, reached someone (SeaTow or something?) and then after they told him the cost he said "never mind"?

And I don't get what he means by "town marine patrol" - is this a reference to a different potential rescue service (a non-commercial option)?

Also, what's all this about "tow companies require that before they assume possession" - is this some kind of legal thing or trade lingo? If you get a tow from a commercial towing operator, does that mean the tow operator "assumes posession" of your boat? That sounds to me like it only happens in a salvage scenario where the boat is not occupied. Confused (by so many things).
The statement is from Kate McConville, the Newshoreham (Block Island) Harbormaster. There is a Boat US towboat stationed out there during the summer, however he would have left right around Columbus Day (Week of October 10).

A hard grounding is considered a marine salvage. The Harbor master's boat is smaller than the tow boat. It seems the questions is whether the vessel was insured. Towing it causing it to sink could create a fuel spill. Being unable to verify insurance means the vessel was safer where it was and the town didn't absorb liability. There would be no point in attempting to dispatch a tow service from either Pt Judith RI, Montauk NY or Westerly RI/Stonington CT if there was no insurance for the salvage either.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 09:23   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
It is interesting that even trained people can focus on a small problem and forget their main job.
On my first boat delivery (a $400K powerboat) I had to keep reminding myself not to play with the fancy nav screens and just steer the boat.
Thanks for the link.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 10:32   #20

In the flying community we study those lessons all the time. Even the most experienced operators (aircraft or boat) are subject to channelized attention. I credit this video (saw it way back in the day) with saving my life as I almost did something similar. Even when sailing I think about it as I find myself focusing on one thing to the exclusion of potential hazards.

dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat