Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2023, 18:30   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410
Beaufort NC to Bimini in april

Hi, I am currently planning to sail from Beaufort to Bimini the first week of April. I want to go nonstop on the outside on my lagoon 410. It's a Very well equipped boat and wanted to get some info from others who have made the trip south on the outside. Navionics shows a straight shot to the edge of grand Bahama then a course change from there to Bimini. Not sure if I will be fighting the current the whole way. Any info would be appreciated

Rich.
Richardw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:23   #2

Boat: Lagoon 410
Re: Beaufort NC to Bimini in april

To be clear i'm wondering if its realistic to think the wind conditions in april will be in favor to try to run straight for grand bahama island and then to bimini. Any info is welcome.

Rich
Richardw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 15:35   #3

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

You will need to stay between the Gulf Stream and the USA. There is a bit of reverse current off the stream on its edge that can give you half a knot as you go south. Once you get to Palm Beach you can cross the stream to West End and then sail south to Bimini. Or you can sail to Miami and then cross. Stay out of the Gulf Stream except for crossing it! And don't cross it in a northerly or soon after one or you'll get your butt kicked.

Also, forget Navionics for the Bahamas. Buy Explorer Charts for the Bahamas. They are the only dependable ones for that part of the world.

Have a great trip!

Ron
s/v Saltydog
Miami
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 15:55   #4

I can confirm the updates to Navionics over the past couple years have made it precise in Bahamas. It appears quit accurate in my more recent experience.
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 16:02   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

May or June would be better......unless we have an early Summer
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 16:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You have two choices.

#1. Head south along the coast to WPB or points further south and cross the Gulf Stream there.
#2. Head due east, and cross the Gulf Stream near the Beaufort location and then head south.
I've done it both ways several times. April, in my opinion, is a good month to consider the offshore route.
While much has been said and written about a north wind against the Gulf Stream, it's actually a nice ride from points north of Florida. Boisterous for sure, but you'll be going downwind. Crossing further south in a nor-easter, you'll tend to have the wind forward of the beam, not so pleasant. Off WPB, the Gulf stream is quite narrow and compressed, and it's going lickity split.

But...the Gulf Stream is quite far offshore, north of Florida, and it meanders, so it's route is a crap shoot. Staying a mile offshore or so, will keep you clear. Once past Cape Canaveral, head a little closer to shore, half mile or so.

I've taken a nor-easter all the way down the coast several times, staying a mile or so off the coast. It's an exhilarating ride. You'll be doing hull speed the whole way. Nothing terrifying about it all.

However, in April, you might also be facing a south-east wind, which again, is not bad, a few long tacks offshore and you'll be good.

At night, close to shore, winds often switch to the west or die completely, and you'll have to use the iron genny.

I prefer the offshore route, as you can relax and the autopilot does most of the work. It does require some night sailing, which is a thrill on it's own.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 16:11   #7

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcondit View Post
I can confirm the updates to Navionics over the past couple years have made it precise in Bahamas. It appears quit accurate in my more recent experience.
"You pay your money and you take your chances". I would not go to the Bahamas without Explorer Charts and most of my fellow South Florida based sailors who go there feel the same way. Save a few bucks at your own potential peril.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 16:13   #8

You have two alternatives, cross the GS right away by sailing due south out of Beaufort, and then make your southing to the east of the stream, or crawl down the coast. The choice is made at the time based on the weather. Most of the time, you'll be better off with the more easterly route, it is a LOT shorter, and there are counter currents out there too! You make the decision on the day you leave based on the weather at the time. We usually do more easterly route, but there have been times the coastal route made sense.

Navionics autorouting doesn't know s--- about currents. Ignore it. If you have access to a real routing program (like PredictWind) that can help--a lot.

The weather in April is variable, you'll need to pick a window that works.

If you really NEED to get to Bimini, it would be a lot better if you check in at West End, and take a break there.

I seem to be the only Bahama cruiser who thinks that Explorer charts are way, WAY overhyped. We are experienced Bahama cruisers and find the them to be pretty worthless in the kinds of out island places we normally prefer. Maybe better for the crowd who hangs in Georgetown all season and calls that "cruising." In some mysterious way we have managed to cruise all over the Bahamas for years (with a 6'6" draft) using Navionics as our primary source without a problem.

Finally, the Gulf Stream is important, but it's not the eveil scary beast that so many people seem to think it is. https://fetchinketch.net/2021/11/14/gulf-stream-phobia/
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 18:31   #9
Marine Service Provider

Y'all with all these electronic chart doohicky things kill me...
I've been all over the B'mas, left and right, up and down, using nothing more than a very old cruising guide, never had a lick of problems, not ever.

People are too focused on that little screen when they should just be looking around with their eyes.

A good guide book is all you need. The B'mas have pretty detailed guidebooks these days. You'll really need nothing else. Guide books give you details that no chart can.
Old 16-01-2023, 18:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
"You pay your money and you take your chances". I would not go to the Bahamas without Explorer Charts and most of my fellow South Florida based sailors who go there feel the same way. Save a few bucks at your own potential peril.
Except, I am not saving a "few bucks" I am just not bought into the "group think". I actually bought the explorer charts and found them basically nothing better. I have looked at both very carefully, and see no additional data that explorer gives me that is any use. After looking at them very carefully, they sit on my shelf gathering dust.

Like I say, based on 6 years of Bahamas cruising. I am sure all you South Florida people are smarter than I am, but I haven't seen anybody actually show me places that they differ in any meaningful way.

But whatever you want to do, its your boat and your money.
Old 16-01-2023, 18:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Y'all with all these electronic chart doohicky things kill me...
I've been all over the B'mas, left and right, up and down, using nothing more than a very old cruising guide, never had a lick of problems, not ever.

People are too focused on that little screen when they should just be looking around with their eyes.

A good guide book is all you need. The B'mas have pretty detailed guidebooks these days. You'll really need nothing else. Guide books give you details that no chart can.
Who needs charts? Just sail until you hit bottom and then turn around!
Old 17-01-2023, 04:30   #12
Marine Service Provider

True, back in the day, GPS was not even around, never mind electronic charting, yet, 1000's of boats managed a B'mas cruise without too much trouble.

Bottom is mostly sand, a grounding is typically only an embarrassing affair.
Old 17-01-2023, 08:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Another vote for Explorer Charts but in addition get it on Aquamaps for a tablet with their Pro (or something like that) version. It shows currents including the Gulf Stream. That way you can get an idea of what you might be fighting.

The biggest challenge you are going to have is your weather window. You'll want a northerly but of course you don't want that out in the Gulf Stream.

Consider using a weather routing service like Chris Parker at MWXC.com. They offer quite a few different plans.

harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 08:50   #14

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Who needs charts? Just sail until you hit bottom and then turn around!
And as Captain Ron is fond of saying: "if you get lost, pull over and ask directions!"
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 11:49   #15
Marine Service Provider

Every body crossing from Florida to the B'mas is always hoping/wishing for calm seas.

In the 50 odd crossings I've done, calm seas and little wind has happened only once.

Typically, you'll have wind from some direction. Wind is good, that's why we have sailboats.

Tags
beaufort, bimini