Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 06:02   #1

Boat: Allures 45
Beginner Question- Yacht Management

Not certain if this is the right place for the question, but...

What does a yacht management company do? What is the difference between a yacht management company and a boatyard? I live in Chicago, and I'm looking for a company/service that can assist me in continuing to build out my boat. In other words, if I want to install a new cooker in the galley, an electro-scan, or additional nav/comms equipment, as a random example, is there one company or service that can coordinate and monitor those upgrades while I'm away, or do I have to have coordinate directly with each vendor for the work? I'm not sure if that makes sense or not. I'm new to the sport/activity/lifestyle so I'm looking for someone that can assist me as make upgrades. Thanks. eric
enjaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 06:19   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: Beginner Question- Yacht Management

Any major yard will say, or have a contractor who will say, that they will oversee just about any project if they don't do it themselves. HOWEVER, you can't do this stuff remotely or disconnectedly. It has been my experience after having projects done in many yards in many places, that you MUST personally oversee the work on a step-by-step basis to ensure it is done correctly. First, be sure to know who will do the work and what their experience is.

As to the nomenclature, I don't think there is any rigid usage but generally when I hear of yacht management I think of charter boat management and basic maintenance.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 08:29   #3

Boat: Allures 45

S/V Neko - Thanks for the reply. I hope to be there for any work that's to be done on the boat, I just want someplace where I can go to central manage things.
The boat I'm considering will be new, but will have a very stripped-down build. I'm looking to sea-trail the boat on Lake Michigan for two or more years, adding essential bits and bobs as I go, before I take it out on the ocean for some extended cruising.
enjaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 11:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Yacht management companies really run the gauntlet. Some are just a local guy who acts as an owner's rep, others are world wide operations that can do almost anything an owner needs anywhere in the world.

Happen to need a generator part while anchored in the Alutians? Not an issue. But you will pay out the nose for it to be delivered by a courier in a chartered helicopter tomorrow. Even clearing things through customs can be expedited for enough money. Probably not worth it for most, but if a yacht is being chartered for $1 million a week the cost of parts isn't a concern.

I have worked with some of these management companies, and the good ones are frankly amazing. Warehouses of parts stashed away ready to be shipped anywhere in the world. Even complete engines sitting on pallets so if you need something from it they can disassemble it in minutes and have it out the door as quickly as possible.

But what it sounds like you need is a trusted rigger, or boat guy more than this type of service. Frankly I don't trust most boatyards since they are more likely to sell you what they have on site than what really meets your needs.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 11:19   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Sounds like what you need is one or two skilled individuals that can do the work without taking the boat to a yard. They are out there! Start with your dock master to see your marinas policy on contractors, the dock master will most likely have several approved and know individuals they can recommend. This is a good way to save some boat units.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 08:38   #6

Boat: Pearson 36 cutter

Enjaku,

I would second the statement about being physically present (or at least inspecting before paying). I just bought a boat from a guy who was having it re-fitted remotely by a very reputable boatyard in NC, but he only visited the boat three times in two years (while meanwhile paying all the invoices the boatyard sent him). When I was considering buying the boat, I was given a list of work done and equipment added, and in fairness to the boatyard all the equipment was there, BUT a fair amount was not installed, even though PO had paid for the installation. Also, he was told he needed a new head on the boat, when all he needed was a replacement part for the existing one, and the head they sold him was an older model Lavac, not the current model. And the new VHF antenna that was installed did not actually work on all channels (not sure how you even do that). When the PO showed up and started looking at what work had actually been done he was not happy.

So if you can find someone you really trust to be sort of a general contractor, remote refit might work, but I would recommend frequent visits.
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, yacht