Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2007, 22:13   #16

Boat: Building a 65' catamaran at moment
You should read lots of voyagers' logs on Cruising narratives and voyage logs from yachts sailing around the world - I was where you are now in 1970. I read tons of books, including lots of voyager's narratives, and sailed across the Pacific. These days, it's free and online-and up to date. Read all of the other stuff on that website, too.
OldYachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 04:36   #17

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Read, read read. Go to Bumfuzzle.com and read their logs. They left from Fort Lauderdale with little experience. You will find the answers to most of your questions there, and its entertaining as well!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 04:43   #18

Boat: still looking
morgan 41 OI /gulfstar 45

Has any heard or seen story of these boat doing circumnavigate. Presently or in the past.

I know this may seem like stupid question I was curious.

thanks
deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 07:01   #19

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
I would start sailing with a friend. Then school. then Charter a boat. only after that would I buy a boat.... I have seen a fellow sell his boat a month after he bought it. Maps, are available at Marine shops, and a lot is available on the internet. sail;ing books are plenty...it is a good idea to read some before you make up your mind. As to money, to keep a 40ft boat will cost you somewere between 1000 $ to 2000 $ a month not inc insurance. Marine equipment is always more exp then Land stuff. but there is nothing like sailing. Nothing at all.
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 04:41   #20

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
there is a place over in Punta Gorda called Yachting Vacations that gives ASA courses. They have a very nice 38' Lagoon in their fleet. I took the Instruction/Charter course 3 years ago. Spent a week on the boat, earned four ASA certifications (basic sailing, bare boat, coastal cruising, and multihull). Already had a monohull, but wife wanted to try a catamaran to see how she liked it. Week was great, instructor was real good, and it was cheaper that going to the islands. Cost about 3K for the 2 of us. Did not include provisions. I would recommend taking some local classes first, but when you are ready this might help. Good luck. (bought a cat since then and love it)
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 12:43   #21

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
We've been out for a year now, and are currently in the Domincan Republic, waiting to cross the Mona Passage. Our experience? Lake sailing. We started on a Hobie Cat, and did some chartering in the BVI's. Oh we read all the magazines, and after I read them, I was too afraid to go. There was so much we HAD to know. It was overwhelming!!! Then I read Bumfuzzle's logs and other people who were out there, instead of people who hadn't gone, trying to tell me what it was like. The truth? You will motor way more than you expect! We left Florida in April to get to the Abacos and have only sailed a few times. That's the way it is. Now, once we get to the Virgin Islands, we will be sailing full time, but so far most has been wind on the nose. What you need is a boat you have a connection with, (we are on a 38 foot catamaran) one you have confidence in. And a strong desire to live life differently. We sold our house and cars, pulled our two kids out of school and are having a great time. Also, importantly, you have to make the trip your own. You have to be clear on why YOU are doing it and what YOU expect to accomplish.
Read the logs of other sailors out there. Most don't have a lot of experience, just a srong desire. Sometimes, you can do so much reading, you become paralyzed to do anything. Check out our site s/v Alegria. We have links to other sites too! Good Luck.
svAlegria is offline   Reply With Quote