Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 04:31   #166
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

No effort, just a clean now and then..
A quick whisk over the topsides with a mop before the dew dries and the sun bakes in the pollution does wonders.
Leave a boat standing for months it shows, living aboard is something else.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 06:35   #167
cruiser

Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
Is ’not in a rush to go anywhere fast’ a style? Just want to stay ahead of the major storms and ride out the rest on comfort and security.

I like the older boats because they can take a serious beating without giving up. Some TLC can turn most older boats into a great sailer.
Additional keel. Definitely new age. Unquoted from above.
A couple living that were living in marina having been out a year or 2 or more or less have or had a Fuji 43?
Tricky to berth because prop shaft comes out either port or starboard side at an angle.

But betters sailing performance due to traction.
Alot of long keel that accommodate propeller with cut out tiny loose alot of their keel leverage because their flap is disturbed. Although a tiny hole, a huge difference but to be for management of iron sail thrust and easier in marina. Whereas their skeg models of exact same but slightly deeper main fin boast a shaft and prop between of bigger cut out yet efficiency of grab because skeg leafs edge of flap with some length for cavitation to disperse plus you get steerage in marina.

30+ years ago. Working around cruising yachts. 30-40 foot moderately light boats would be cruised much more often than the heavier displacement 30-40' boats.
MOM. Moments of momentum. Being so big, they were great underway, on anchor they'd hold because impact of wave was nothing much to them. They are built to do damage. We took one racing one night, best race boat ever. We unfurled headsail. Raised halyard on main. That was it. Nice and lazy. Running not so fast but we didn't change a thing plus we were high and dry entire race. Berthing 17 tonnes is totally different to sailing an engine less 2 tonnes up channel onto finger. If a mistake is made, damage is done.
Big cruisers didn't go sailing as often but stayed out for months when they went.

I wish you luck.
Fuji 35?
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...dvane-7971470/

My memory might be wrong regarding good mans vessel in marina but looking up hull data of such found a 35 Fuji.

Learn weather watch as a habit. Best days make the worst nightmares often.
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 14:50   #168
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No effort, just a clean now and then..
A quick whisk over the topsides with a mop before the dew dries and the sun bakes in the pollution does wonders.
Leave a boat standing for months it shows, living aboard is something else.
https://youtu.be/9tuTKhqWZso

Cape Horn narrated by black belt Jujitsu

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia...?source=google

An article that shows square rigs true form is strength upwind. (They are boats for fulls. Full displacement, full sails, commercial square ships that is)

I like old boats too. Modern also.
Best invention of modern era regarding sail is possibly the yardstick.
Racers pay out cruisers everyday. Yet quietly.. they are racing partial sails and require lots of men to handle a very low yardstick. Maybe the way they play with their Guy Pole?

Long distances on full displacement ship length ship of over 1 acre of sail. At 12-15 notes. Reduced waterline cruiser. You would be slower than that. Hence old boats of longer keel entries can be nice.
Cut aways aft can be nice too. They all can be nice. Doesn't change like weather though.

I've been planing about 30 years.
Originally my ideal island hopper was a 24' skiff bottom, skiff rig with large cockpit, 2 in cockpit, 3 on trapeze. I wasn't allowed to continue that thought and told Bermuda rig on vessel was powerful rig it was simply that I didn't know how to sail.
Picked up others since then.
Looked at rigs.
Finding one you like is key.
You mentioned loose luff oversized rig earlier. I love squared thrust rigs. But they don't come with a how too use manual.
They create an ability to reduce wear just like a skeg takes the leading edge beating of a rudder system on some vessels.
Eventually.. I'll soon buy a sloop or ketch. At 6'+ too, if bunks ate short I might end up with more patience and an Adams 13 or something. I'd like them despite open cockpit.

Ain't always planned. Beating wind.. in Gale, a junk rig is a naturally yardstick stable eyes on leading edge of wind sail. Eg. She runs uphill. Nice and dry, nice and fast. With strength of a freight train. Eg like a square rig.
Downhill not so fast. But guy pole been played with to much by us racers and although faster, vessel run not so strong. Easily out of control. Swept back sweepers? Let out of sail can catch.

Squares can reverse thrust and squirt port starboard thrusters. Again, lots of crew.

Junk is half square too. Coastal like triangles perhaps being able to self tack and a partial sail system. Partially land, Partially open waters.
But out of control downwind can be let out beyond beam to allow luff to wind. Thus slightly less controlled reverse thrust if needing a bow thruster maybe. Those sails don't flog thanks to the way they are fed, very tiny wear system. Very cost efficient for long term cruising.

I think such suits me. I have time to wait and complete boat I like as properly as I can beyond seaworthy. I read you lift luff and bury usable rig earlier. Sometimes without wonder I know that sailors love you too. Principle alot to me too. Fools and fulls maybe. Partially open because we want to enjoy land maybe.

Lots of quests maybe.
I like your quest knowing I'm happily retarded to enjoy roam too.
Rock on bro, stay clean, keep clean, keep clear and enjoy

Cruising probably fun on semi displacement hulls.
Lesser of displacement becoming more vulnerable to cleanliness of underneath than heavier displacement though. 1 barnacle on a early plane destroys the speed benefits of such whereas if out a while and slime has allowed barnicles a grip, heavier displacement doesn't alter knots underway as much. I just aim for displacement knots and hence older shapes too for that reason
Old 27-05-2022, 15:50   #169

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I read it twice you described Leif Erickson’s boat.
Sail 860’
Motor 48NOP
Navigation - Crow
Year - 1098
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6C104BC-85F1-4B47-A119-830F9DD1842D.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	258486  
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 16:04   #170
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
I read it twice you described Leif Erickson’s boat.
Sail 860’
Motor 48NOP
Navigation - Crow
Year - 1098
Love your work.
Possibly just a roll of dice.
Heavier plane is heavier heel angle yet I get in trouble shopping for boats when I ask about plane angles. Umm. This one has a heel angle. Umm.
But.. skipper of sisterboat said she gets up.
Found another dragon. Other dice have octopus.
Just be safe as best can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_093107.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	258489  
Old 28-05-2022, 16:28   #171
cruiser

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...er-261143.html

Slightly over budget, location any good ??

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...g-ketch/277598

Australia. Just under. 8 tonne 37'

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...g-ketch/262712

Australia, just over . 10 tonne 37' foot

My neighbour has a beautiful ShareALee design. I'm not allowed, to wide for berth. Australian 37 footers I might go look at. Mainly island hopping Kangaroo Island to Tasmania. Keels are encapsulated so I I run aground they should be fine.

Backstairs Passage can get knarly. Rip tide that feeds our gulf. We've seen waves go near vertical there at about 10 maybe 20 feet then they explode.

Way I see simple is flat heel angle flat sea.
High heel angle high sea.
So slower when flat sea like rolling ocean but a bit more comfortable when it gets a bit rough.

Most cruisers I hear from tend to autopilot plot around Kangaroo Island and come in via Investigation Strait. I think it is a comfort thing and less stress with current, wave and wind.
Old 29-05-2022, 19:45   #172
cruiser

I type too much, not that great at English.
Debating mind too on pros cons.

Thought being boat whys of 20+ years you might appreciate note points too.

Generally older boat designs. They load displacement efficiently. Thus their loaded average knots is well.
Modern cruisers that really remind me of old junks; vertical plane bow flared to slice wave and mated to a horizontal aft plane to get up and go, box shape ratio of drag wet area increases faster than a wedge because a box shape is displacing whereas a wedge shape from built in keel type is broadening. Plus need to bolt on keel doesn't appeal to me because first keel boat I helmed I ripped the ship out of the keel bolts running aground.* Darn short cuts lol.
Junks were using very strong easy to use beating sails thus none tiresome fast running up stormy nights or strong constant uphill pulls if loaded. Downhill racers too if going that way. But that takes a lot of skill with a sloop, or a walk uphill. Tiring when wanting to stay awake.
Encapsulated keel will load better because of reduced increase of wet area when laden with food and water and is far superior as a motorboat if required to ironside because natural boat is a wrighting boat.

Volume;displacement;size of boat can be increased without decrement effect unless racing and wanting acceleration.
In rough; momentum is pretty decent counter to lesser need of acceleration.
Velocity acceleration of our 3d realm, eg pitch, yaw, rotation is very adequate with high heel. Only downside is Leeward when wind up and knots are on. Downhill less so depending on how loaded vessel is; months away, world health organisation cares. WHO. Lol.
I got problems too bro. Just trying to read up on insurance.*
Work shut today because weather wild and port underwater. I'm going swimming,* weather warm yet wild.

Boats I look at for safety and speed balancing are often labelled full keel but they ain't. They are long keel.* Slightly inferior to full keel for expedition but long enough to roll water, debris,* run aground and carry a flock tonne of stow without big loss to hull speed.
Short trips,* less laden, she'd go alright. More weight than a race boat, probably wouldn't sit far on plane,hit the brakes and send mast deck 4 foot under but trucks don't behave like go-karts.

Good friend suggested if in tropical lagoon and school of black tip reef shark swim in. Stay still and don't worry when they rub against.* They inquisitive.* But sudden move and they'll bite you. Maybe ask about that. Idk.

I wear wool. Warm when wet provided wind shielded. Eg under closed jacket. If water gets cold and you go swimming,* you won't dry but you'll warm quicker. Wool is marvellous.* Invented by sheep.

Anyhow... you help remind me of my past skipper; pro fishing boat; arguments of sail versus stink, keel versus keelson, loading limits and she's below the gunnels.
We all have different abilities.
12 tonne at 43 feet on sloped encapsulated looks good to me. If weight goes up she'll need to be lengthened, beamed or keel filled.
10 tonne at 36 foot also looks good to me. Fuller keel. Speed ain't the keel, that'd be there to accept load. Speed more so displacement length creating wave frequencies. Over that is semi planing knots. But if we are loaded than force to make is exponential like everything natural.eg heaps. Eg costs lots more.
Cruising, stuff that. Low cost is king. Hulls like that suit some plus hold crown shank rode from being acceleration with a lot of gentleness instead.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:07   #173
cruiser

https://bluewaterboats.org/freya-39

https://au.yachtworld.com/yacht/1982...sloop-8049269/

Above address offers a much better experienced opinion.

Winner 3 times consecutive Sydney Hobart.
8 knot average pace capable, 200 mile days.
Long keel.

I'm similar to designer with respect to preferences of similar to that. Cut away fore makes handling great, deep to hold anchorage and slightly cut to aid tacking.
11 foot beam isn't to wide to lump rocker yet wide enough to accommodate, skinny enough to create a usable plane maybe.. idk. Never had one.
It'd be lighter on shoulders than a flatter plane but some seaman don't like heeling. Heeling lengthens waterline though and gifts a usable planing surface for stability on such is my opinion.

Excess energetic systems? Can always use as a motor sailer yacht. Thrust system well protected.

Pros cons with all designs. That's one honest contribution of coordination with coordinating plotting a waterway.
Honestly, I'd try to find a ride on something similar and see if such is to your liking.
My family like flatter rides, I'd rather heel. I was 6'3 now with some shrinkage approximately 6'2 and sore shouldered too.
Seeking similar hoping Roberts are close enough to that write up due to availability down under. Should be okay. Gentle with horsepower or displacement with lesser. Roberts owners saying approximately 7 knot average although 4 feet lengthier. Thus a bit porky. Oh well.

Cheers op.
No rush here, just cruising along with true lies and systems that vary energy.
Old 21-05-2023, 03:32   #174

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
You were clear before on what you meant. However, that's not the point of this posting. I'm looking for responses from people that have actually been in sailboats for how water and islands. Why they liked that particular boat and what they didn't like and it.

I've had dozens of boats. Still have several. However, I'm looking for feedback from people, not simply random comments. Feedback from people that have been and done.
I feel for you because it happens to me a lot: you ask a question to people with a specific experience so they can share THEIR experience, and you have all those people who don’t have an answer and chime in, telling you that your question doesn’t have an answer. Annoying
ONe year later, what did you end up finding.
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 05:04   #175

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Read this thread with some interest. Some thoughts, you talked about blue water and islands but which blue water and which islands makes a big difference. My comments are based on 50 years of owning boats and around 50,000 nm offshore, mainly on a Bristol 45.5. Crossing the Pacific on the Coconut Milk Run is totally different than crossing the Indian to South Africa. On the latter route we had three weeks with winds never less than 25 and often around 35, broad reaching. That region gets tropical storms in any month and there was a category 3 cyclone in the general neighbourhood that made us bail from Mauritius. The Bristol handled it beautifully and we had a great time. Owned a Catalina 36 Mk2 a few years ago and I would not have wanted to do that trip with the Cat, although it would be OK doing the Milk Run.

As for general comments, consider both the designer and the builder rather than jumping around from specific models. Your budget does not come close for a B45.5, but if you consider how Ted Hood designed boats (he was a genius) with large displacement (comfort/load carrying), centerboards (ours was 5'/12/), and lots of sail area to move the weight, there are couple in or close to your budget (purchase only/upgrades extra) Bristol 38.8 and Wauquiez Hood 38 come to mind. I can't see any reason to go bigger. If you are only having guests occasionally why pay for the extra accommodation, both at purchase and all along the ownership journey?

Features for single handing for long distances in blue water:
- Easy sail handling - good jib furling and main furling (I know this is controversial but we love our Hood main furling system). Big winches make life easier. The primaries on the Bristol were Lewmar 65 (secondaries were 55) and my wife (120 pounds) had no problem soloing the boat. Builders tend to skimp on winches since the bloody things are so expensive. I just checked and a 65 chrome is $6500. Fortunately, the first owner of our boat bought the entire options list.
- A cutter or sloop with an inner stay (removable) for ease of putting up a staysail or even storm jib when things get sporty. Changing the headsail on a fuller is nasty in the conditions where you need to do this is hard at best.
- Reliable self-steering. If electric you need two redundant systems since these things croak often and you don't want to hand steer for days or have to jury-rig something. Also, using electric self-steering dramatically increases your energy budget so you need more solar/wind and more battery capacity. Much better is to have a vane with an electric backup. We used our Monitor for more than 95% of our trip.
- Good ground tackle setup with a powerful windlass and an anchor that comes on to your roller with you in cockpit.
- A light enough tender that it and its motor can be launched/recovered by one person - on the size boat we are talking about, probably an air floor inflated and a not large engine - 4 to 4 hp.

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, single, water