Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 16:19   #31

Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
A touch of pressure-washing and she's good to go.
My buddy was one of the safety divers on that movie! Wouldn't have minded picking up a few of the toys, including that beast.
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 16:40   #32

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

It's all about the condition of the boat, not the make.

When you're looking at 50-footers, 50K usually buys you a tired old boat that is in no condition to go offshore without an extensive refit. Then you're talking another 50K or more to make it so it won't drown you.

Smaller boats, you might be able to find an older gem, as long as you're willing to put up with the foibles of a CCA or IOR boat. (Smaller cabin, tougher engine access, slower, etc.)

As other posters have said, see what's out there. Once you settle on a model, you find that there aren't many for sale -- even popular brands such as Catalina.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 17:50   #33

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I'll throw in my vote... Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409. I have sailed her thousands of miles solo and loved every single mile. Whether becalmed with zero wind or in 30-35 kts winds, I always felt safe, comfortable, and had the best experience!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 17:56   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I will throw in a vote for a Kelly Peterson 44, but I doubt you'll find a good one for $50k. Your budget won't get you far over 37 feet methinks.
Have you perused bluewaterboats.org?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 18:01   #35

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I'll throw in my vote... Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409. I have sailed her thousands of miles solo and loved every single mile. Whether becalmed with zero wind or in 30-35 kts winds, I always felt safe, comfortable, and had the best experience!
Not exactly in op's budget.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 19:05   #36

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on the best sailboat for Blue Water and Island Hopping in combination. Not one or the other. Single person operation, but comfortable accommodations for 2 or more people sleeping separately.

Thinking 34-50' range as the maximum of both ends of the scale. Under $50K average base model sailboat. Wheel operated, not hand rudder for medical issues.

Keywords would include: Comfortable, stable, easy to sail, spacious, roomy, not claustrophobic, great storage, agile, good in reefs and shallows.

"Wheel operated, not hand rudder for medical issues."
I would posit that in the size range you want there are a lot of things on a boat that under adverse conditions will require a lot more effort than operating a tiller.
And not all adverse conditions have anything to do with being at sea in "stormy weather".
Much of what you've listed under "Keywords" points to a fairly large boat, and many of them, (unless specifically set-up/rigged for such,) are not easy to handle without assistance, this goes double when having to maneuver in close quarters.
Reefs and Shallows are no places to be fooling around, "Thou shall not run thy ship aground", perhaps a centerboard boat?
I can't offer any particular boat type/model/size as an example that checks your boxes that also would be in your price range.
I would however be looking at boats that are considered as "Moderate" in their numbers, sail area/disp, beam/length. disp/length, mast height, draft, etc., to begin with.
Spacious and Roomy are quite subjective on smaller boats with all the "gear" most sailors want to carry, let alone the space/volume that fuel/food/water, and a thousand and one other things require.
Good luck with your efforts.
Old 18-05-2022, 19:38   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

To be honest I find wheel steering more grief on arms, shoulders and back a lot more stress than a tiller.
Try helming a wheel solo for 30 days and you'll see what I mean.. with a tiller you can set up a bungee system to steer while you take a break, stand up and steer with tiller between the knees..
Anyway it's a phoney argument as 90% of the time an auto pilot will be doing the hard work for you.
Fifty feet is to big if you find a tiller daunting.. stick to <42ft at a maximum.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 20:05   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on the best sailboat for Blue Water and Island Hopping in combination. Not one or the other. Single person operation, but comfortable accommodations for 2 or more people sleeping separately.

Thinking 34-50' range as the maximum of both ends of the scale. Under $50K average base model sailboat. Wheel operated, not hand rudder for medical issues.

Keywords would include: Comfortable, stable, easy to sail, spacious, roomy, not claustrophobic, great storage, agile, good in reefs and shallows.

Any suggestions should include: Why you recommend it. What you like and dislike about it. What you, or someone you know directly, has had as an experience with it. Year and model. Not simply listing a brand and a general era.

Direct experience is best. Thanks!

60000 Australian is 42000 American today.
Within budget.

Single person operation. yes. Definitely.
Blue Water. Yes. West sails have a reputation of being a very solid deck and hull build. Shape below looks encouraging of mountain climbing.

Island Hopping. Yes. I believe so. If (more likely when) a front catchs us out, you could remain in cockpit and vary balance of sail both main and head. No problems.
Plus.. longer keel designs such as picture vessel tend to be kinder on anchorage. Holding better and not snapping at chain as ferociously as modern fin keel vessels. Although with bowsprit pictured leverage would be more leverage but bowsprit could be used to lift anchor and a bridle would be easy work on such hull shapes.

Comfortable. Yes.
Stable. Yes. Includes sail system.
Large angle head on main plus large angle head on headsail would possibly Pearce wind on high points of true. Junk sails gibe softly. Maybe others gibe softer than picture but alot of other junk sails have their heads further fore and their feet fore too.
Agility. Maybe.. she'd grasp better Agility during stronger winds due to a hull shape and flexibility of sail and ease of use. Yet during flat days she might need some patience. I'd be happy with hull shape performance. Leads to a shallower draft than a fin keel and if you hit a reef; don't worry too much, just don't do it again.

Storage. Yes.
Berths. Plenty.
Head. Fresh water shower, toilet.

Kids?? Old enough? Send one up the crows nest to guide up narrow channels that entry into cove, lagoon, etc.

Just expanding upon Web address above and query

Happy days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_4-5.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	257985  
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 20:51   #39

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Yikes... sorry. I didn't read it all the way through. That's what I get for not paying attention
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 01:29   #40
cruiser

Lol

I'm thankful for sharing with you sir of query.
Made my mind look too.

Maybe mainsail on above is headsail?
Thus a high pointing Latina rig very capable of nearing true wind.
Yet in storm and reduced or removed; a very capable of being on thrust of reach sail set during towards a true point bearing.

A shorter mast for bridges, lightning avoidance, crows nest.

Underway lines all single man cockpit able.

Agile? I like. Probably skating around 11 knot is simply a guess yet braced by a lengthened hydraulic beneath; could be fun. Probable.

I'm going to have a look. Same boat as you.
Many around that would work for me. Might sell.
Doesn't matter.

Big bonus is Egyptian latina rig. Could train child to flow Lee side of sail on minimal damage wear.
Could roll up to become junk rig if heavy winded.
I think owner (stranger with I) a genius.

First boat recorded to launch a spinnaker was a vessel named -Sphinx'

Edit.. just expanding.
Could lead to removable running backstays for normal operation and addition of guy pole and spinnaker for further advancement of a child's appreciation of why sometimes we just want to talk with wind thus a flexible luff that torques during times when old lady Gale is .. umm. Excited.
A much better control of 3 systems of thrust; wind,sail
Water, speed of vessel and thought of man, chosen direction of a lovely Mobile home.
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 02:52   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
To be honest I find wheel steering more grief on arms, shoulders and back a lot more stress than a tiller.
Try helming a wheel solo for 30 days and you'll see what I mean.. with a tiller you can set up a bungee system to steer while you take a break, stand up and steer with tiller between the knees..
Anyway it's a phoney argument as 90% of the time an auto pilot will be doing the hard work for you.
Fifty feet is to big if you find a tiller daunting.. stick to <42ft at a maximum.
It's the angle with the tiller that kills my back. And you're right about the autopilot and 50' being too large. I've been aboard a couple that length that were rigged for solo running, but not many. Plus the general costs of slipping jumps up at around that size as well.

I think you might be right at the 42' mark. I'll knock the size back to 45' and start again. Which I think I'm about to end this thread and start a new one. With some specific directions to those that don't have any real input into the topic

I wish people would shut up, rather than keep saying "just look at what's available". Lot of dock sailors on here just wanting to run their mouths, rather than let the people with the information someone is trying to get not get lost in the clutter.

They act like I'm an imbecile, rather than someone that's been boating for well over 40 years and been working professionally on boats for I don't even remember how many years. I've raised more boats from the bottom than a lot of the people making comments have even been on! Here's a photo of one I raised twice, because the owner and the idiot he had taking care of it didn't do what they were instructed (by myself and the Coast Guard).

I'm just trying to get those that have actually done the TransPac, island hopping and the Southern Waters runs, opinion on REAL boats. People with more experience in that department than I've got. Things they like and dislike. Wish they'd added, etc. How bloody hard is that?

You're one of the few that's actually given his opinion. Those that have given input, I've found very insightful and helpful to my quest.

Just because most people have an issue finding sailboats, I don't. I get people offering me boats all the time. A lot of them cheap if not free. I'm fact, I'm picking up a Lido 14 tomorrow for free. Just picked up a Chris Craft motoryacht coastal cruiser for $250. Both with trailers.

The difference is, I actually know how to fix boats, so they'll be cherry when I get done with them. That's how I'm funding a little bit of the money. Figure it'll cover some nice toys.

The blah, blah, blah is Irritating!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160501_125254.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	257990  
Old 19-05-2022, 02:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
They're definitely in the list. However, that's I've boat that seems to hit closer to $100-125K for a half decent hull. Even without the extra bells and whistles. Let alone a nice one.

Everyone seems to want to keep it, because it how nice it sails.

Thank you for your input and comments. Any other suggestions?
Old 19-05-2022, 03:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
"Wheel operated, not hand rudder for medical issues."
I would posit that in the size range you want there are a lot of things on a boat that under adverse conditions will require a lot more effort than operating a tiller.
And not all adverse conditions have anything to do with being at sea in "stormy weather".
Much of what you've listed under "Keywords" points to a fairly large boat, and many of them, (unless specifically set-up/rigged for such,) are not easy to handle without assistance, this goes double when having to maneuver in close quarters.
Reefs and Shallows are no places to be fooling around, "Thou shall not run thy ship aground", perhaps a centerboard boat?
I can't offer any particular boat type/model/size as an example that checks your boxes that also would be in your price range.
I would however be looking at boats that are considered as "Moderate" in their numbers, sail area/disp, beam/length. disp/length, mast height, draft, etc., to begin with.
Spacious and Roomy are quite subjective on smaller boats with all the "gear" most sailors want to carry, let alone the space/volume that fuel/food/water, and a thousand and one other things require.
Good luck with your efforts.
For not offering any specific boat, you did offer some actually helpful information! Unlike a lot of people on here that just want to post to post. So, Thank You!

The main reason I'm looking at some of those points is due to the fact that I'll be spending more time in the actual water than at a dock. Having the supplies stocked up enough to last a couple of months at least, as well as enough space for me to relax and have a guest or two over for cocktails and conversation is important. Plus my medical issue require certain things that will help to minimize my pain.

When I speak of open, I've never liked the standard table and benches. I like the salon to be more of an open format. Plus a nice map/work station is a bonus.

I keep coming back to the Catalina line, but I've heard that they're not the best for blue water. Great for the islands.
Old 19-05-2022, 03:12   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirement home View Post
60000 Australian is 42000 American today.
Within budget.

Single person operation. yes. Definitely.
Blue Water. Yes. West sails have a reputation of being a very solid deck and hull build. Shape below looks encouraging of mountain climbing.

Island Hopping. Yes. I believe so. If (more likely when) a front catchs us out, you could remain in cockpit and vary balance of sail both main and head. No problems.
Plus.. longer keel designs such as picture vessel tend to be kinder on anchorage. Holding better and not snapping at chain as ferociously as modern fin keel vessels. Although with bowsprit pictured leverage would be more leverage but bowsprit could be used to lift anchor and a bridle would be easy work on such hull shapes.

Comfortable. Yes.
Stable. Yes. Includes sail system.
Large angle head on main plus large angle head on headsail would possibly Pearce wind on high points of true. Junk sails gibe softly. Maybe others gibe softer than picture but alot of other junk sails have their heads further fore and their feet fore too.
Agility. Maybe.. she'd grasp better Agility during stronger winds due to a hull shape and flexibility of sail and ease of use. Yet during flat days she might need some patience. I'd be happy with hull shape performance. Leads to a shallower draft than a fin keel and if you hit a reef; don't worry too much, just don't do it again.

Storage. Yes.
Berths. Plenty.
Head. Fresh water shower, toilet.

Kids?? Old enough? Send one up the crows nest to guide up narrow channels that entry into cove, lagoon, etc.

Just expanding upon Web address above and query

Happy days
She's a beauty, but I think a Catamaran, which I have considered, would be a bit too much for solo sailing. Even though it would have some very distinct advantages around the islands for my other pastimes.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 19-05-2022, 03:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
That is true. Beautiful boats, but definitely higher end. I've only seen a few people were even willing to consider to sell. All over $150K.

Most other boats come across my desk at one point or another.

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, single, water