Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2022, 05:51   #106
cruiser

Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

Bro..
I messed that up ..
Again.
Model S&S

Honestly.. I'd like a reasonable pace cruiser too.
I might consider an S&S mainly because of hull performance. But refit later for my preference of spillage/heel aid type use of excess wind would be to expensive for me with a S&S and remain a sloop.

She has rocker (smiley face keelson) which helps anchors stabilise even on shorter rodes and lighter crowns compared to same weight vessels of lesser rocker. (Heavier crowns still best though)
She has a sloped keel that develops early. Doesn't help tacking so much but holds course well and is lovely for fast passages.
Aft end personal choice again.. really. Skeg to help turn or length to help brace.
Roberts is similar and as read from Roberts site..
Something about a good cruising design Doesn't age.
Weather going to be same.. Honestly. Tides exist. Waves indicate energy. Wind lets us feel strength.
Roberts has nice burial locations for 3 short unstayed mast and spars is why I like them. Similar decent rocker that will hold weather well and allow decent making of knots.
Hoping you're as sore as I am too. Burnt inside out.
Prepare for the worst and enjoy more surprises of best luck.
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 06:01   #107
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on the best sailboat for Blue Water and Island Hopping in combination.

Thinking 34-50' range as the maximum of both ends of the scale. Under $50K average base model sailboat.
What a classic boat forum non answerable question
Old 25-05-2022, 11:47   #108

Boat: 1999, hunter 340

We sail a 1999 hunter 340 alot of time solo. Sailed from Vancouver to Panama and around the Caribbean. The hunter line is very inovative, from the use of the Selden in mast furling system ( no back stay makes for a huge cockpit) and roller furler for the Genoa. Everything leads back to the cockpit and I never have to go on deck to reef. The storage and comforts built in are very well thought out and well built. Huge after berth with king size bed, but limited standind soace, the vberth is a little small, but will comfortably sleep a 6ft+ person. Huge head, well apointed gally. Headroom throughout is a comfortable ft 4inches. All in all, my wife and I are very comfortable onboard for extended periods. She has mobility issues so the built in hand grabs, walk through companionway and transom definitely add to her comfort. Our dingy is mounted to Weaver davits and it folds up on the transom, it has provided good protection in breaking following seas. She is fitted with a small water maker and a very robust autopilot. The dodger Bimini combo cane be completely buttoned up for bad weather situations and the arch over the cockpit houses the traveler and is a secure ancor point for 2 100w solar panels. Easy to anchor with windlass controls in the cockpit. With a 3 blade CambellSailor prop, she backs up incredibly well, most other boat owners I have met are envious of that manouver. They make this boat in a 37.5 and 40 foot version. Mine at it's age and present "very good and well maintained" condition is valued presently in the 50 -55 K range (as per recent survey) some people will say she's not made to go offshore, but that isn't nesseserily the fact. Depends on how well outfitted and your confidence level. I know a few other owners that have made transit to Hawaii, made the puddle jump, and I have also been to Alaska and back twice before heading south. Just my ACTUAL experience sailing my ACTUAL boat around for the past 11 years. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220225_121254.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	258372   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2820860808137997.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	258373  

Me and Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 12:48   #109

Boat: 1999, hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What a classic boat forum non answerable question
He's just asking for ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with Actual boats being Actually sailed by Actual pesople. Not that big of an ask!! If you dont have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE sailing within the described requirements, then DONT ACTUALLY reply
Me and Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 12:52   #110

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Nobody could possibly use their broad experience and knowledge to extrapolate advice for someone's vague, generic question.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 13:03   #111

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

That Hunter is a Doll for 55K. I’ve seen a couple Jeanneau 37 in mid 50’s, 1999, 1998. One was really nice. So I guess it happens.
It does seem a silly question. I would like luxury comfort all the toys free. 50K is the lighting and electronics. I try to loose that little flipping boats.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 13:18   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirement home View Post
I like long keel yachts.
Solo or short hand.
You can get away with controlling a larger vessel.* Doesn't feel like that when flat water but you'll get caught out.
They dance like ballerinas.

Ever come down a mountain on a bicycle?
Having brakes allows you to go faster!

Heel angle acts like a brake and an accelerator but it isn't used by modern racers as much as they wanna be st. Eg winners in favourable conditions but not as fast if stuck Riding a storm.

Boat broaches. Long keel cruiser. Knot loving such. No hands required, just helm. Rudder turn ratio low, rudder pitch ratio high, thanks to rotation.
Lee helm. Pitch bow down, increasing plane thickness, harder for vessel to giddy up, natural brake.
Windward helm, pitch bow up, increases gust on Lee side of sails, boat giddy up like normal.* Very graceful. Momentum management purr fits because vessel is a displacement cruiser with a usable planing surface and excellent traction Lee side of keel due to continuous length of past rudder and point.

Hence if uncertain of next anchorage,* etc. Just a safe bet but slower than fast cruisers ( also a safe bet ) and vertical tapered edge keels (bet on weather being nice because a driven length keel will out perform them during heavy sessions.).

Long keel,* shallow draft too.

They all nice.
Long voyage means displacement because we eat. Displacement destroys shallow plane vessels abilities of agility and speed because a tapered edge grasps traction via flow and they only have a little length thus they drop deep to compensate rotation and much enjoy a different type of ballerina with needs to turn quick and race which is more than often lighter conditions.

Pleasure was mine.

I'm buying too. Hunting. Intentions a long keel front. Preferably to rudder, if modern fast cruiser that'd be good enough.

Unlike modern race boats that force buoyancy to keep mast up and power sails, I like mathematics.

Point Line shape time first 4 dimensions.
5, 6 energy mass.

High heel angle naturally tending vessel to large plane would love lifting sails to force system of thrust.
Ain't sure yet. Basically 150% of sail area and reaching sails due to square shapes of junk. That'd passage safe and easy. Reduction a single line.
But would be expensive to make and triangle sails have less upper weight at anchorage. Wouldn't be stable when she ain't dancing whereas ketch, sloop is and during dance they spill excessive power and are safe there too.

Lol all good.
https://youtu.be/bhSB8EEnCAM

This is wear , I heel my hurt.

Longer keels attract a lot less maintenance on above deck systems. My opinion.

We loved their control. We used to deliberately broach with full sail including spinnaker through fishing boat fleets. Brake, accelerate on helms order via helms feel.
I don't know cruisers. She was petite, I've only known racing boats as skipper.
I'm definitely going to be taking a lot of what you mentioned into consideration, especially when looking at keels. I'd rather have something get a bit wetter than feel like it's on the edge of out of control.

Everyone keeps focusing on the money, rather than first figuring out what type of boat they want for what they're doing. They don't realize you can buy the same boat for a hundred dramatically different prices and not necessarily because of the condition. How motivated is the seller is a much better determinate of the price you'll pay.

I flipped a BUNCH of boats when I had my marine service, because people wanted to get rid of them. Free and cheap is a lot more common than most would think. Plus all the marina, county and state sales and auctions of seizures is a GREAT way to get a lot of boat for very little!

Most people just look at the for sale sites and pay whatever.

Another great way to buy equipment for the boats is marina yard sales and flea markets. Lot of stuff in decent condition for very little.

I'm starting to narrow down the boats. Several people have recommended manufacturers and general models that I've gleaned to a handful. Should be ready to start looking for one of them in a couple of months. No need to buy early.
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 13:23   #113

Quote:
My friends liked Catalina yachts. A different agility than my preference. I think they're quick. I've never sailed on one.
I like slow boats like trucks are slow to cars. Build momentum and hold course.

Tradewind 35 popped up in my research. One of the 13 type boats approved to enter 2018 Golden Globe solo non-stop around world race. 2.2 metre headroom and fairly sizable volume for a 35 footer.

Sail balance is important. Lee flow works.

I noticed most our ship wrecks are near harbour yet far. Maybe lost during poor visibility and coves look like entrances. They're all equal yet all have good points and have to deal with points. Square rigs are lifting sails but like a truck they need to build momentum prior to pointing. This disables them from coastal mistakes because if they think their onroute to harbour and it is land they have to way of recovering from such and they wreck. Likewise, if a close call and they need to point they can't because they'll crack their yard, break back of mast and watch beauty fold. They need to be accelerated.once flow is established then they can open up throttle and point extremely well.
There's a picture on the net floating around somewhere of Christopher Columbus vessel. My history vague; Saint Marie?? She's pointing like a demon using a strong wind leading edge with a flexible luff square fore sail. Mainsail will feed from that thus important consideration should be bracing fore yard.
Underway, although boat heels, such sails counter heel and pop boat up. They all balance them aye. Other squares use jibs to list boat and provide point and forced torque on squares down the line.

I like idea of junk. I don't know if good idea. Old man appreciates triangle sails and well suited broaching nature to running a high angle heel but I'm abit addicted to true reaching. Simple taking time in tack and waiting until wind invites vessel up windward. They scream up wind which results in alot of traction below water line on minimal crew.
Many hulls, many sail designs. Simply a matter of enjoyment with different styles preferred by different legs.
I've thought of a junk as well! Not sure I want to go there though.

Had a couple smaller Catalinas. Quick boats. Their MK2 is a really nice, open floorplan. However, they don't come up for sale very often, unless someone is gouging on the price.

I'm not looking to race from one location to the other. Just casually sail, and occasionally get around a storm. More comfort and safety than speed.
Old 25-05-2022, 14:14   #114
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
I've thought of a junk as well! Not sure I want to go there though.

Had a couple smaller Catalinas. Quick boats. Their MK2 is a really nice, open floorplan. However, they don't come up for sale very often, unless someone is gouging on the price.

I'm not looking to race from one location to the other. Just casually sail, and occasionally get around a storm. More comfort and safety than speed.
Thanks so much.

I sailed with alot of old men. Simple things like bracing sheet lines of leach torque and stuff computer language won't explain.
I love coastal rigs too. When tails on stays are hanging and my crew is lovingly cooling my liar mentioning

"Watt about Lee flow . Should always flow Lee."

"With watt wind? There is know wind. As windward sail horizontal on nothing and bow wave is made"

They all have pros and cons. Modern reefing from cockpit a huge advantage. We would reef early with our manual systems.

Junk; square sail; offshore rig lose many coastal rig;triangle; sloop advantages.
Maybe it's a different sail type. Using wind as fuel rather than wind gaps to sliver within?
I prefer turbine usage of sails and can't afford crew nor loss of true point to accommodate a spinnakers leading edge.
I will be losing performance in lighter winds that aren't of sufficient fuel for a turbine. I will be struggling on off tacks where mast blocks the turbines feed. Many of my teachers would prefer I stick and stay with a sloops because majority usage is coastal.

Yet.. 1 boat I visit in 6 weeks with eye to purchase is an old man's ketch. Similar bow to above. Doesn't get sailed because age and effort to halyard. Possibly as I age, junks lack of performance coastal (yet navigation able okay) will be countered by smaller sails, easy heave on halyard, simple light sheeting.

Sloops are way more fun to learn. Ketchs maybe; more sloop experience here than ketch.
But they require alot of additional bracing systems.

I gotta work a while yet. Been rescuing insects from swimming pool in desert. Insects sail all their lives and appreciate the good ol' classic versus modern argument too.

I believe you. Here we just do watt we want and EVERYBODY likes different systems.

Sharing a clean path in our oceans my ideal gift too.
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 14:21   #115

Quote:
I agree with AKAnone regarding something. Could always reduce, heel, etc..

Luff flapping makes me think lifting sail. You gotta be careful with these and accelerate them first. Then start pinching at point if coming to windward.

Alot of older boats were made when sailing was shipping. Displacement allowed storage and maintenance of performance, lifting sails allowed wind obedience and gifted better safety in the open.
But poor visibility and port entrances, channels to tack, etc favoured rigs such as gaff rigged schooners.
Alot of these opted for square sail top main. Thing with lifting sails is that they lift the heel. So like modern racing boats that force the counter heel with buoyancy to effectively increase drive of sail thrust, old cruisers know heel will naturally be forced and a lifting sail skyward is a big leverage that helps boat stabilise.

As a cruiser.. it's way cheaper on component failure and running costs to be happy with displacement speed. When she does heel and plane a lifting sail will be reaching and I don't have coordination of English literature to explain safety.
Just weird science I guess.
Some love loose luff sails. Some love fixed luff.
Some prefer tapered edge short keels deep to counter rotation, some prefer long traction flow like a catapilar track in the wet mountains.

Vikings used oars and dragon sails. Lol
I'll definitely keep that in mind when picking sails! Rather be snug than skipping along
Old 25-05-2022, 14:22   #116

Quote:
Adams 13 ??

I like them yet never sailed one.

Essentially a fullkeeler. Yet has dagger boards for pointing ability. Rudder also extended to match dagger board.

She'd handle great. Lower volume, basically space of a 36 foot fatty but with displacement of 40 foot and low volume for performance agility and built as a displacement vessel.

Aft cockpit is exposed. That's my only dislike. Great for cruiser of most days but if intending to just hang around for bluewater wind then a pilot house would make more sense although vessel performance of other models wouldn't match that. I think most are tiller too. Didn't think; nice boat though. Built to cruise being displacement type and quite capable of fast passageway.

Should be reasonable on service costs, maintenance, etc being low volume and displacement. Might be some with wheels around??
I'll add it to the list!
Old 25-05-2022, 14:23   #117

Quote:
https://youtu.be/Ft3EPJC-FtU

I watch YouTube vids like these at work. If with time, maybe enjoy.
Research Cape Horn. Lots of hints regarding sail. Was golden era of sail pre civil war and Panama canal.

Tall ships lean against the wind.
Wind of 100knots and waves of 60 feet were not uncommon.
Forestay sail would be removed.
Forestay sail would be raised again when wind was less.

Our sails are blown by wind like Forestay sail is. Forces vessel to heel.
Square sails are forcing vessel to be upright. Wind is exponential strength. Square sails don't need extra gift when wind strong. Opposite heel properties to modern racing boats.
Other bonus is pointing ability strengthens with strengthening wind.

Their lives were hard though. 1 man per journey lost wasnt an uncommon ...

They mention coastal schooners. Basically what we use. Benefits coastal but open wind. They blow over and spill wind instead.

Southern Australia we get 70knot 4 day blows. You want to know havens and entries if around bottom of Australia!!!
I don't know top or sides , nor bottom much neither.. long distance between of cliff and beaches.. must know harbours either sides just incase. Because our best weather offers no horsepower then we get ship hit the fan.

I look at waves. They don't move, they indicate energy. Up, down. Energy that can move 1000s of tonne of water per boat length at speed of swell is from an endless fetch ocean.
Cape horn our highest point and fiercest impact zone.

I like ketch too. Staysail sloop.
Junk a heavier wind alternative but with limits. Top heavy during non dance.

Email if adventure this way with months of notice if you want too.
My boat probably summer. I'm not a square sailor neither. Simply appreciate skills
Sounds good! I'll drop you a PM.
Old 25-05-2022, 14:25   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Seahawks are 'a bit big in the bum' for my taste and they are that way for a reason.
https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/i..._their_sisters

Of the Westerlys I would suggest either a Conway or a Corsair
https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/i...tle=Corsair_36
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...ir-36-8306900/

Large aft cabins while nice in port aren't much use at sea, apart from stowing sea stores in.
Wly Sealord aft cabin complete with 2 month's dry stores.
Added to the list! Thanks!
Old 25-05-2022, 14:27   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVFaith View Post
Good morning, pogo 12.50, Blue water, fast hull, made to be run short handed, simple systems. Plenty on the market.
Thanks! I'll check it out!
Old 25-05-2022, 14:29   #120

Quote:
Hi op.
Hi readers in same boat looking for adventure upon reliability.
I hope I'm not rude. I'm a bit of a bullship artists sometimes too.

Picture of another 42 footer on market. I really like but don't want a coastal cruiser. At 2.2 tonne with a smile face keelson and heavy brace leverages she'd be beautiful.
Enough keelson to get home during weather although possibly wet. Enough volume to carry a months load of eat and drink for a 3-5 man crew. I just dreaming but surely cabin would bunk small number crew camping. Beyond my wants though.* I intend longevity voyages.

Knowledge and wisdom of leverages allows sail boats navigation.
If we started with a yardstick; pure performance.* We could brace head and allow redirection of winds thrust to become a vessels ability to start movements.

Looking below waterline, if you could imagine keelson being keel, we would visualize a full keel boat. Now by adding directional thrust from sail with traction we are navigating.
To encourage navigation,* we sliver a flap of aft keel. Rudder leverage forces navigation with mistakes we make with directional thrust of sail above. Now we are sailing above and below waterline.

Above water line again. We make new levers to advantage wind with. By fixing the luff of mainsail using mast we are initiating a spar with the wind. By fixing a point of luff with a headsail we are now able to distance the redirection of wind and point towards a true we will never hit (until invention of most modern sail to date, windmill and propeller. Idk. Just guessing)

Below waterline again, we straighten up Rudder stock and increase size of rudder.* Now a heavier brace on helm enabling more forceful speed.
Furthering.. we reduce keelson and create a set of tapered edges to create heavier bracing on helm and thus vessels of sheer speed.

Sheer speed is lovely. I prefer with coastal cruising.* But if mother nature gets angry,* will man or Gale be stronger??

I'm organising to look at a 'full keel' vessel bro. But honestly.* Looking at keelson indicates a vessel of much lesser displacement supported by stabilised brace known as a long keel.
This okay with me.
Ever looked at a F14 Tomcat?
With sails fore she is agile at low speeds but unable to brace them at high speeds.
With sails aft shaped like a dorsal fin, she is now high speed agility.
As mentioned above,* the 'full keel ' 'fast cruiser' I'm interested in is probably over weight from assembly.* Eg beyond natural displacement because of our wants as man. Eg we wanna be on water yet dry. Most cruisers are that. They build waterline of vessel higher and say that's her displacement ability yet such is now far from agility.
I think you have skills bro. That's why I'm looking at sloped stabilisers (modern name is keel). Allows much higher speed bursts that are braced with vessels structural integrity.* Tapered edges aren't as fast, they are simply more often faster yet heavy on maintenance being a much heavier brace.
If that's annoying.* 2 baa. Goto sheep.
Balance your preferences of leverages. They all equal just different.
Sweet looking vessel though aye.

I do knot know a tapered edge keel. Yes they can get fast. We sheered fore yard line that eyed point to true, we bent aft yard that directed total thrust and southerly blow dropped our dance with a simple thank you but your keel is up. Bobbing away with a dry keel in a blow that had scared all powerboats home. Although scarey is horsepower to create thrust to use a long keel at speed.. I doubt my ability will do that but they are an inherently much more agility ability at rate of knots than a set of tapered edges thus more suited to long single tack passages. Skegs just as clever; an in-between the 2.
You know you'll love whichever one you choose but that's why I would recommend sloped keels and some fullness to keelson for adventure.* Weather systems are movements of energies. Leading edges can take a beating Although our eyes will never see such . Being dry on high deck you know..
We know we like near nothing.
Yeah.. most is lie. Pick true points that suit you.

Bye bro..
Best luck. Understand your leverages. Sweet sailing
Pretty, but doubt it'll be a comfortable ride. Deeper has benefits as well, but issues in shallows. Finding a balance is always an issue.

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, single, water