Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2012, 13:39   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Best boat show for sailboats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Rooms right in Annapolis can be hard to get and pricey, though I have never had a problem booking a room a few miles away.

Agreed, "now" is not too early. I paid $200 to be 50 miles away.

During the show, the city runs their free trolley which stops at all public parking garages, so you don't need to be close to the show to have convenient access. This is more convenient than actually parking or staying near downtown because you won't have to walk 10 or 20 blocks.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 13:51   #17

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

+1 for the Annapolis sail show....even better than Southampton IMHO. I stay at the Hilton Inn about 5 miles from the show and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Marriott. Taxi to show about 20 bucks. not much of a restaurant but who needs one in A where there are a thousand good eateries.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 16:15   #18

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Rooms right in Annapolis can be hard to get and pricey, though I have never had a problem booking a room a few miles away.
+1

Marriott jacks up their prices for the shows, from $300 to over $500 a night. Lots of cool B&B's nearby if you reserve far enough in advance.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 17:26   #19

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

The Chicago Boat and RV show, held at McCormick Place every January, used to be one of the best. Since the recession, it has lost most of its exhibitors and became a skeleton of yesteryear. While most sail and power boats on display catered to "lake Michigan environment", it gave a buyer a glimpse on what is the industry's latest. For Ocean cruising, the Annapolis show is a must visit. Miami's show is the next best thing, if you can't attend Annapolis. (You really need to actually sail a few boats before considering buying one. Alternatively, charter a few trips on boats that you have seen in the show.)
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 11:11   #20

Thanks for all the great information guys. The wife and I are planning to go to the Annapolis show in 2013. It works out well since our youngest son will be old enough to ween and we are gonna use it as a chance to get away. I know the show runs all weekend long, but can it be walked in a day or should I allocate 2 days to get it done? We may fly into D.C. and see some sites if we can do the whole show in a day.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 11:24   #21

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscott8201 View Post
but can it be walked in a day or should I allocate 2 days to get it done?

Tom
IMHO it can be done in a day but you would be rushing especially if you want to go aboard quite a number of yachts as well as walk the land based exhibitions where it is possible to pick up quite a few good ideas.

Me I like to do it leisurely manner enjoy the show and the excellent seafood restaurants in and around Annapolis. I usually spend 3 nights there.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 14:59   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Thanks for all the great information guys. The wife and I are planning to go to the Annapolis show in 2013. It works out well since our youngest son will be old enough to ween and we are gonna use it as a chance to get away. I know the show runs all weekend long, but can it be walked in a day or should I allocate 2 days to get it done? We may fly into D.C. and see some sites if we can do the whole show in a day.

Tom
We've gone to it for many years since we are within a couple hours driving distance, and we never felt one day wasn't enough. In reality there will not be that many boats you really what to get aboard. We usually see the boats we want to first, then walk through the tents. We get there when it opens and are usually done by mid afternoon.
Old 29-11-2012, 15:06   #23

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Keep in mind there are lots of lectures and seminars during the show you can go to, and also boat demos and after-the-show sailing opportunities if you are really interested in a particular boat. Also, takes some time to get to and from the airport, etc. Might be worth spending a little more time there if you are serious. There are also tons of big boatyards within a few miles of the show, so it can be a great time to look at brokerage boats too. Some of the brokers are at the show and you can make arrangements to go see boats.
Old 29-11-2012, 16:33   #24

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Annapolis is a good show in a really nice town. There are some nice B&B's close by, but you really have to plan ahead, everything in town get's booked. It goes over to Columbus Day monday, and that is a quiet day. I would allow two days, gives you time to come and go to the show, and also to get one more look at what caught your eye the day before.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 07:36   #25

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:

Tom
Same issue with flights - they will be costly on show days. This is a really BIG show. Booking everything now will be much cheaper than booking it a few months in advance.

You can run the show in a day if you stay focused on the models you know you want to see, but you definitely will not see the whole show that way - especially if you try to fly in-and-out on the same day.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:33   #26

Boat: Salona, 37'

You can travel to Annapolis and see 20+ brokerage boats in 3 very handy locations. Three large marinas have brokerage offices on site and a land/water brokerage section. Bert Jabins Yacht Yard, Port Annapolis Marina and Yacht Haven in Eastport will give you a good education 34-48 feet. I would check yachtworld.com and confirm the brokerage office will be open over the weekend this time of year.
greyhound37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound37 View Post
You can travel to Annapolis and see 20+ brokerage boats in 3 very handy locations. Three large marinas have brokerage offices on site and a land/water brokerage section. Bert Jabins Yacht Yard, Port Annapolis Marina and Yacht Haven in Eastport will give you a good education 34-48 feet. I would check yachtworld.com and confirm the brokerage office will be open over the weekend this time of year.

Like I posted earlier, I am not in the market yet. I am just traveling to the show to give the wife an idea what she could expect if we bought a boat and spent any major amount of time on it. I am trying to get her enthused about the process.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote