Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 05:57   #1

Best Columbia Outboard location

I have a Columbia 22 with a transom mount for the outboard. It sails and motors beautifully. Columbia have a unique design in the cockpit that was meant to have the outboard motor in front of the rudder. My 22 foot Columbia does not have the hole cut through so I just use it as a live well cooler for drinks with ice. I’ve always been worried about the weight on the back of the transom for my outboard so I’m very careful with Moving it In and out of the water.

I’m upgrading to a Columbia 26 and this boat has the hole cut through and the outboard runs with the propeller in front of the rudder. From a convenience point of view, This outboard location is much easier for me, but I’m wondering if it affects the trim while motoring or has any adverse effects on manoeuvring.

Literally no other Sailboat builder adopted this concept and many of the boats don’t have the hole cut through, so I’m just wondering from other Columbia owners what their experience is With the motor inserted into this “live well”.

I’m wondering if I should fill the hole and just put a new transom mount on the back of this new boat or take my chances with it being in the cockpit.

Im mostly sailing alone in Great Lakes and sometimes I need to have enough power to get me back to port with larger waves.

Any personal experience on a Columbia with either of these options would be greatly appreciated.
Chattypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:43   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Best Columbia Outboard location

Decades ago we had a Columbia 26 with the outboard mounted in the well in the cockpit. With the prop just forward of the rudder maneuverability under power was excellent, just like a motor boat. But... It was noisy and filled the cabin with exhaust gas. This was back long before 4 stroke outboards were a thing so that might be better now with a modern motor. You also can't easily raise the motor to reduce drag when sailing. You'd have to completely remove the motor and what do you do with it then? We ended up putting a lift mount on the transom. Quieter and no smoke in the boat, but not as maneuverable. We also raised the motor when sailing, it was only in the water when running it.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, outboard

« Boat cover advice | - »