Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2005, 16:59   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Question Best Course Of Action??

One of my wife's co-workers has just bought a Pearson 365. Its a 1979 model, said to be in good condition by the surveyor, a self confessed power boat guy. At the time of purchase Sarah was unable to do a sea trail due to wind and rain.(??)

The boat is now in Pensacola and the new owner, Sarah, wants to get it to San Diego ASAP before hurricane season. Sarah's idea is to get a crew of 4 people she knows here in Colorado, fly down to Pensacola no later than mid June and sail the boat to Galveston. From there she will have the boat transported by truck the rest of the way.

My wife and I have been asked to join the crew for this proposed trip across the Gulf. Not sure if we can do it yet but I did volunteer to get more info so here are a couple of questions.

Any local knowledge for the Galveston area? Where to haul the boat and put it on a truck, etc.

Any local knowledge for the San Diego area? Where to splash the boat, etc.

Any recommendations as far as boat transport companies?

And more to the point:

Wouldn't it be better and not much more expensive to truck the boat the whole way?

When I consider the unknown boat, the time constraints and coordination involved I think putting her on a truck in Fla might be the best course of action.

Please advise.

John
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 00:10   #2

We used Florida Boat Haulers to have our boat trucked form Charlotte Harbor to Kemah, TX a few years ago and was very happy. I'll try and find the number for you. My husband and a hired captain were going to sail her across the Gulf in Feb, and between the bad weather and problems on an old boat, it was easier just to have her trucked. We brought her back about a year later. It took us 3 months to get from Kemah to Charlotte harbor. A great time was had by all!
Jane
rakuqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 11:51   #3

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
FWIW, hurricane season begins June 1. Although the likelihood of a hurricane during June is much smaller than it will be later in the season, I would be very hesitant to take a boat across the Gulf to Texas at that time of year. It certainly seems worth the effort to find out how much it would cost to truck the boat all the way and avoid the Gulf.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 00:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It would seem to me a slip in San Diego will be the hard part. They are hard to come by and generally expensive.

A quick trip to Texas should be possible if you even watch the TV weather. The later summer August - September is when all the really fun stuff happens with hurricanes.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote