Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2021, 12:46   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Best cruising guides for Maine

Ahoy, Forum

I'm planning a cruise Downeast this fall in a 41-foot monohull that draws 7'.

Who can recommend me a current, reliable cruising guide for Maine?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 13:09   #2

Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

https://www.mainecoastguide.com/about2

http://www.eldridgetide.com/
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 13:13   #3

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran

My wife and I are just heading back to the Chesapeake after two months down east. The “Bible” for theses waters is A CRUISING GUIDE TO THE MAINE COAST.
Written by Hank and Jan Taft and Curtis Rindlaub. Currently in sixth edition.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 14:44   #4

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act Three View Post
My wife and I are just heading back to the Chesapeake after two months down east. The “Bible” for theses waters is A CRUISING GUIDE TO THE MAINE COAST.
Written by Hank and Jan Taft and Curtis Rindlaub. Currently in sixth edition.
Thanks Act and Caleb. Man, if a cruising guide isn't telling me to do it, I'm not sure I'm finding that spot to anchor on the cover.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 23-08-2021, 16:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Thanks Act and Caleb. Man, if a cruising guide isn't telling me to do it, I'm not sure I'm finding that spot to anchor on the cover.
Its Maine man, it all looks like that lol, you would harder pressed to find a spot that doesnt belong on a cover!
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 18:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
Its Maine man, it all looks like that lol, you would harder pressed to find a spot that doesnt belong on a cover!
Oh, I've been to Maine. I just ain't never wandered into a spot like that without a lot of good local intel. I've ordered the book. Thanks!
Old 24-08-2021, 08:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I always found The Cruising Guide to New England the best guide for all anchorages from Cape May to Canada. It is an enjoyable read as well.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 09:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I always found The Cruising Guide to New England the best guide for all anchorages from Cape May to Canada. It is an enjoyable read as well.
Thanks, George. Do you mean this chestnut?

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guid...dp/0393048586?
Old 24-08-2021, 09:32   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Yup, we agree with Act Three on the cruising guide. The best one out there.

We have lived aboard our boat in Northeast Harbor, ME (on Mt. Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park) for the last 6 summers. If you need any local knowledge, contact us via this forum and we'll be glad to assist.

Maine's lovely. We think you'll agree.

Jenn and Terry McAdams
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 13:26   #10

Boat: Pearson 365

The Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast by Taft and Rindlaub is the gold standard. It covers every harbor and many gunkholes, with instructions on how to get in and out, and what to look out for. It has many small drawings of harbor entrances and anchorages. There are “star” ratings (4 stars are “must go”) as well as rankings for weather protection. It also includes names and phone numbers of key businesses and people, and some interesting historical and cultural blurbs. It also has a section at the end covering the Canadian coast to Saint John and up the Saint John River. We have at least the last four editions, and a copy of the first. My only complaint is that it is a paperback book. I would prefer it bound with a spiral binding or something similar so it could lie flat open.
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 17:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
.....I'm not sure I'm finding that spot to anchor on the cover.

That brought back a great memory. When my son and I were bringing our boat up from SF to BC in 2016, we stopped and anchored in Port Orchard, a "harbor" "port" with nothing but a very high dock with a crane that lifted the fishing boats out of the water. There was a small roadstead in the guide book that we were using for harbors (Charlies Chart), whereas Douglass' book was more for routes outside harbors.

Before we dropped the hook, I wandered around, trying to "find a good place" not too close to the big dock and not too far east towards a HUGE rock that jutted out from the shore. The rock was almost two stories high, and the south end of it that was in the water looked like real dragon, especially in the photos we took and viewed later.

Finally found "a reasonable place" with no other boats around anchoring, all used the crane.

Had an uneventful and pleasant night.

Looking at the photos on our computer a few night later in a marina further north, I thought the photos we took looked somewhat familiar.

Then I looked at Charlies Chart's anchorage photo.

It showed a sailboat right in the danged spot we had

dropped our hook!

So much for MY "thorough research!"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 19:10   #12

Have just completed my 18th Maine summer cruise (the first was in 1977 before GPS!) I use all three of these:

1. ActiveCaptain. Since this is "crowd sourced" you have to use it with care - but it will do a better job of keeping you off the rocks and finding good holding for your anchor than any of the others.

2. Taft - As others have said it does a great job rating the harbors. I also very much like the occasional page devoted to Maine history, ecology, and local sights.

3. Duncan and Ware - Cruising Guide to the New England Coast. For over 40 years this was "the Bible" maintained by Roger Duncan in his Friendship sloop. Roger died in his 90's about 15 years ago so don't expect to find some of the stores or restaurants mentioned. But the location of rocks, tides, beautiful anchorages, and that special feel of cruising Maine doesn't change. The book is a joy to read. If E.B. White had written a cruising guide this would be it. Buy it used off Amazon. Any year. Here is a page from it. I may have "Headed East by Schoodic bell..." inscribed on my tomb stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.07.19 PM.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	244192  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 21:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Have just completed my 18th Maine summer cruise (the first was in 1977 before GPS!) I use all three of these:

1. ActiveCaptain. Since this is "crowd sourced" you have to use it with care - but it will do a better job of keeping you off the rocks and finding good holding for your anchor than any of the others.

2. Taft - As others have said it does a great job rating the harbors. I also very much like the occasional page devoted to Maine history, ecology, and local sights.

3. Duncan and Ware - Cruising Guide to the New England Coast. For over 40 years this was "the Bible" maintained by Roger Duncan in his Friendship sloop. Roger died in his 90's about 15 years ago so don't expect to find some of the stores or restaurants mentioned. But the location of rocks, tides, beautiful anchorages, and that special feel of cruising Maine doesn't change. The book is a joy to read. If E.B. White had written a cruising guide this would be it. Buy it used off Amazon. Any year. Here is a page from it. I may have "Headed East by Schoodic bell..." inscribed on my tomb stone.
Or, perhaps

He was happier east of Schoodic
Old 26-08-2021, 21:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That brought back a great memory. When my son and I were bringing our boat up from SF to BC in 2016, we stopped and anchored in Port Orchard, a "harbor" "port" with nothing but a very high dock with a crane that lifted the fishing boats out of the water. There was a small roadstead in the guide book that we were using for harbors (Charlies Chart), whereas Douglass' book was more for routes outside harbors.

Before we dropped the hook, I wandered around, trying to "find a good place" not too close to the big dock and not too far east towards a HUGE rock that jutted out from the shore. The rock was almost two stories high, and the south end of it that was in the water looked like real dragon, especially in the photos we took and viewed later.

Finally found "a reasonable place" with no other boats around anchoring, all used the crane.

Had an uneventful and pleasant night.

Looking at the photos on our computer a few night later in a marina further north, I thought the photos we took looked somewhat familiar.

Then I looked at Charlies Chart's anchorage photo.

It showed a sailboat right in the danged spot we had

dropped our hook!

So much for MY "thorough research!"
If you live long enough not according to precedent, you become the precedent

Tags
cruising, cruising guides, maine