Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 17:18   #31

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Best inverter charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I'm in the middle of updating to Victron....called the US office twice with technical questions, both times got excellent support.
I had a similar experience.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 17:28   #32

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

So after listening to your suggestions and my own smoking laptop research, I just ordered the Magnum MSH3012M and the smart Display for the MS series. The more I researched this seam to be the best choice. Thanks for all your input. Its amazing, this thread stayed totally civil lol
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 17:29   #33

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

seemed duh. 6 years of college. Oh boy. At least I caught it.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:05   #34

Boat: Hanse 348

OK. victron vs. magnum? for those who bought and compared, what are issues (e.g. size, ease of installation, features, support, etc.) of either that made you choose. I need either a 2k or 3k.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 15:12   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
OK. victron vs. magnum? for those who bought and compared, what are issues (e.g. size, ease of installation, features, support, etc.) of either that made you choose. I need either a 2k or 3k.
If the Magnum would be a Ford then the Victron is a Mercedes. The remote control panel of the Magnum tells it all: plastic and the switches make you wonder if it'll work... but it works. Sometimes have to press a couple times to make it work but it works. I have not had a failure with either yet
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 15:27   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Back in the early 90's in Holland, I knew the founders of both Victron and MasterVolt.

The guys at Mastervolt used to work for Victron and were mostly engineers trying to compete against their old bosses. Both made quality products but Victron had better business acumen and stability, so I bought mostly from them with terrific support.

If you check Mastervolt you will find they have reorganised and since both companies now produce in China, it is still a crap shoot
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:40   #37

Boat: Hanse 348

Do both Victron and Magnum both automatically sense if there is external AC in and pass that thru without another switch? I currently have a AC in and a charger. My main panel has a switch to turn on AC to the outlets and another switch to turn on the charger.

I would like to have to not turn on the inverter if I have external AC in, just pass it through, but not sure if either device works this way, or if it needs to be turned on.

If so, then I would like to have my switch for AC outlets turn on the inverter, and I would then get AC either from inverter or external AC.

Reading both manuals, deep into this, but maybe someone has looked at it already. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:51   #38

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Do both Victron and Magnum both automatically sense if there is external AC in and pass that thru without another switch? I currently have a AC in and a charger. My main panel has a switch to turn on AC to the outlets and another switch to turn on the charger.

I would like to have to not turn on the inverter if I have external AC in, just pass it through, but not sure if either device works this way, or if it needs to be turned on.

If so, then I would like to have my switch for AC outlets turn on the inverter, and I would then get AC either from inverter or external AC.

Reading both manuals, deep into this, but maybe someone has looked at it already. Thanks.
Inverters with an internal transfer switch provide this functionality. Both Victron and Magnum do this.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 19:34   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Inverters with an internal transfer switch provide this functionality. Both Victron and Magnum do this.
And if that switch dies the boat is dead
Wire in a by-pass
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 21:02   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:

Yes, as DotDun posted both Victron and Magnum have auto transfer switches.

Best way to install an inverter in my opinion is with a sub panel fed by the inverter. AC in to main breaker panel. An appropriate sized breaker for inverter input. There has to be a breaker before the inverter in any case. Inverter output to sub panel that only includes breakers for items you wish to use the inverter for - typically outlets. This solves the problem of leaving the water heater on and killing the battery bank an hour or so later.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 21:34   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Yes, as DotDun posted both Victron and Magnum have auto transfer switches.

Best way to install an inverter in my opinion is with a sub panel fed by the inverter. AC in to main breaker panel. An appropriate sized breaker for inverter input. There has to be a breaker before the inverter in any case. Inverter output to sub panel that only includes breakers for items you wish to use the inverter for - typically outlets. This solves the problem of leaving the water heater on and killing the battery bank an hour or so later.
Victron has 2 inverter outputs - shore and inverter only.

My panel has 2 banks of breakers, high load and inverter load. I wired the inverter output one to the normal inverter loads, and the shore output to the power hog loads.
No sub panel required
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 22:32   #42

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I put in a Victron Quattro a bit over a year ago and was very happy with it (just sold the boat). The only complaint I had was the programming USB interface module was a pain to get set up and you really need it to adjust settings for optimum use.

When I was looking, it came down to the Outback (I had their solar charger and LOVED it) and the Victron. I ended up with the Victron as the Outback charger/inverter would only accept either 50Hz or 60Hz for AC input whereas the Victron was 50/60Hz. I understand that the Outback has since been updated to 50/60Hz so I'd probably go with the Outback now as I love their interface panel plus it would integrate better with the solar controller.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter