Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 00:48   #16

Location: Currently in South Haven Mi hopping to soon be in a warmer climite.
Boat: 17ft runabout my boat 2
Send a message via Yahoo to gunslinger9729
Wow this is as loaded a question as you could ever ask. To me the only answer is the perfict boat is the one that takes you to the adventures you want to go on. If you want to sit at a dock and watch the pretty people walk by and chat then you need deck and cockpit space. If you like me want to go exploring then you need a compfy, dry, easily sailed boat, with tons on storage below decks. If you want to just spend weekends and maybe a summer on your boat then you can get by with a smaller one but if you want to stay on it long term then pick as large as you can afford and sail. That being said the best one to start with is the one that gets you out on the water, thats the one I am trying to get right now lol. Mine right now cant go out more than for the day and here in Mi the waters to hard to daysail right now. You might start looking at the website called SailboatListings.com to see the wide variety of boats for sale and the prices for them. This site has thousands. G
gunslinger9729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:24   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I've always prefered the catamaran. I enjoy the heeling of a good monohull for a day sail but not while I'm trying to cook a meal at the dock with a strong beam wind. Most marinas charge by the foot so if a 40' cat has the same interior space as a 50' mono the cat works out cheaper.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:25   #18

I've got to agree with Seahunter's post. Our Endeavour 43 is a really great live aboard.
unknown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:22   #19

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
We will be shooting all over the place on the vague description provided. Reading Larry and Lin Pardey's book "The Self-Sufficient Sailor", if you are taking up life long cruising, the choice would be very different than crowd watching as Gunslinger and James point out. No sin in choosing either, just be honest with yourself. There are (the majority?) of people who buy sailboats as a weekend getaway and use them about five times a year. A shame, but it's their money.

Provide what you plan to use the boat for and the experience and insight I found on this forum is fantastic (even when they disagree). Also, unless you really mean "money is no object" pick a dollar figure. Are you really willing to spend $5 million on a boat?

I have found the dollar figure breaks out along this line (at the low end)
<$50,000, $50,000-100,000, $100,000-250,000, then it gets expensive.

While we sailed dingies for years moving to a cuising boat, also made me appreciate the "boat unit." (a part that costs $10 on a $2000 boat, seems to cost $100 on a $100,000 boat.) I don't know why it is true but it just seems to be.

Help them, to help you, by telling us what you want to do with it. Also remember we all have opinions and risk factors that drew us to our own boats.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentore View Post
...I am looking for the best live aboard sailboat.

If price was not an issue (although it is ) what would you pick?

Thanks
A minimum 60-65ft LOA to comfortably accommodate the human form factor without compromising sailing performance/safety.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:09   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
......One of the huge Privilleges (65+) will probably do - once inside you can't tell anymore you are on a sailing boat.......
It's strange to suggest that a goal of living aboard a sailboat would be to not tell you're on a sailboat!
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25   #22

Admirals are very comfy as well as great for sailing. Check out the Admiral 38' Executive Model for sale: Admiral 38 Catamaran - Home
kitedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 14:14   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I was in a Prout 45 (catamaran) at the dock recently (in 40 kt winds) and I found just as much if not more motion than on my monohull. It was actually more disconcerting because the motion was more of an earthquake-like sloshing motion rather than a heeling over.
Old 10-01-2010, 18:15   #24

Boat: pilot cutter
It all boils down to what you can afford to operate and maintain. Would a 65' Sardine Carrier Cruising Vessel be great as a liveaboard? It most certainly would. But I couldn't afford to operate and maintain a boat that size for very long.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I've always prefered the catamaran. I enjoy the heeling of a good monohull for a day sail but not while I'm trying to cook a meal at the dock with a strong beam wind. Most marinas charge by the foot so if a 40' cat has the same interior space as a 50' mono the cat works out cheaper.
Instead of heeling, you get the earthquake-like shimmy at the dock with a catamaran. I find the latter harder to get used to, frankly.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Hmmm, never anchored in an earthquake prone area so don't know what you mean. We made the mova to catamarans 18 years ago because of a medical condition set of by the motion of a monohull. All is well 18 years later and would never look back.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 14:30   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hmmm, never anchored in an earthquake prone area so don't know what you mean. We made the mova to catamarans 18 years ago because of a medical condition set of by the motion of a monohull. All is well 18 years later and would never look back.
very funny.
medical condition? would that be mononucleosis? Nah, that's from kissing the easy girls!
Old 12-04-2010, 19:55   #28

Boat: Catamaran
The best one is the one you leave on.
drjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 12:15   #29
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
the best liveaboard boat is the one you have....

Otherwise, you need to remember that you cannot emigrate to NZ or OZ if you are over 45.

You cannot get a residency in either place if you are over 55...

Hiscock made 2 circ navs in a 30' Cutter with no frills...

Smeeton likewise...

I just met Kevin who circ naved in a Southern Cross 31, no engine, no electrics, rowing dink,
gaff rig. He is in his 20's..

Then there is the other friend in the anchorage in his 50' cutter... He laments that at 68, he is getting too old..

Depends upon what you want.
goprisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 14:16   #30

Boat: Beneteau 393 12 meter - Midwinter's Dream
Send a message via Skype™ to RCErickson
I am a live aboard so I also have some insight. First, what makes the perfect live aboard is different for everyone. As discussed earlier there are lots of things to take into consideration. I live aboard a Beneteau 393 because it was the boat I had when I started living aboard. I have make many modifications since living aboard. These are my recommendations. Storage and Comfort are the main issues. I installed a shore water connect (just make sure to turn the water off every time you leave). This is ultimately necessary for me as I take long showers. My boat has two heads and the forward head is in the bow and ideal for a shower as it exits into a cabin. I installed an actual shower head and diversion valve. I recommend a separate shower stall that exits into a cabin instead of the salon for privacy. Most Refrigerators made for sail boats are not very good as live aboards. Consider installing a real Frig. Also consider installing an on demand hot water heater as the tanks on most boats is to small. I recommend having a couch in the salon so you are not always sitting at the table (I do not have one). The 393 has lots of storage, which is good. If I could purchase a new boat I would go with either a center cockpit or Cat, both for space. Do not spend money on a Generator if you are not planning to cruise, since your in the slip most of the time. An enclosed Bimini to increase your living space is also a plus. So many options. Good Luck.
RCErickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard