Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 15:16   #1

Best Marinas near NYC

Hello mates,
I am looking for suggestions regarding marinas near NYC (90 min drive from the City).
Would greatly appreciate your combined wisdom/input.
FlorianNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 20:04   #2

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser
Re: Best Marinas near NYC

I don't have the essential info you seek but can advise you that your request feels rather broad and may benefit by asking if any recommendations in any of these locales:

- in or very close to the city (5 boroughs)
- NY NW of city on LI sound within 90 minute drive
- on the Hudson within 90 minute drive
- in NJ within 90 minute drive
- in CT within 90 minute drive

I believe these are fairly distinct sailing grounds and sailors more likely to be knowledgeable about 1 or 2 of them than all of them.
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 20:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Port Washington
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:59   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

90 minutes during rush hour or 90 minutes on a Sunday morning? Or could you take a train? What kind of sailing are you looking to do? How big a boat?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:07   #5

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser

I neglected to include Long Island as another region.

From another thread you mentioned being based in NYC, does that mean leaving NYC to get to boat? Keep in mind weekend traffic out of and back into city in the summer can make rush hour look a walk in the park!
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:03   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Yeah. If you are living in nyc and want to keep your boat somewhere good, take the metro north to your boat.

Locate it out in Milford CT or as far out as you can ride without it feeling too far.

Newport, ideally or the CT/RI border.

It feels GREAT to get out of the city and already be in good cruising grounds with cool air and wind. Unlike the closer spots that are hot, no wind and busy with power boats.

There’s a reason the New York Yacht Club is in Newport, RI.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 17:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yeah. If you are living in nyc and want to keep your boat somewhere good, take the metro north to your boat.

Locate it out in Milford CT or as far out as you can ride without it feeling too far.

Newport, ideally or the CT/RI border.

It feels GREAT to get out of the city and already be in good cruising grounds with cool air and wind. Unlike the closer spots that are hot, no wind and busy with power boats.

There’s a reason the New York Yacht Club is in Newport, RI.

Well the NY Yacht Club (if you are talking about the fancy private club on 44th Street) is not in my budget... but will check out Milford, Ct. thank you.
FlorianNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 19:41   #8

We are full time cruisers so don't have a home port, but I have a lot of family in the northern NJ area. Several times we have stayed at Sandy Hook Bay Marina in Highlands, NJ.

We have gotten in and out with our 6'5 foot draft, although it can be a bit dicey around some of the slips at low tide. The marina has been well run and easy to deal with. It is a 3 minute walk from the fast ferry to Manhattan if you need that sort of thing, and it is cheaper than the marinas in the city. The local area is delightful.

Best to arrive at slack tide. When the tide is running fast a cross current can make docking... interesting.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 20:05   #9

Second Atlantic Highlands, NJ area. AH Marina is a nice well managed facility with good trades folk available. Baker's Marina in Highlands, NJ I also recommend for seasonal dockage. Ferry over from NYC easy relaxing commute.
Old 09-03-2021, 22:54   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianNY View Post
Well the NY Yacht Club (if you are talking about the fancy private club on 44th Street) is not in my budget... but will check out Milford, Ct. thank you.
Someone needs to sponsor you for membership into that place on 44th street. And you misunderstood the entire post.

“There is a reason the New York Yacht Club is in NEWPORT, RI”

I’ll break it down for you. The New York Yacht Club has a building on 44th for social events but the ACTUAL CLUB is in Newport RI. Why? Because Western Long Island Sound and the harbors around nyc are lousy places to sail. The most wealthy people who liked sailing knew it back in the day and the same weather holds true today.

Near nyc is awful, hot, and not windy during the summer. It’s ALWAYS windy near Newport so that’s why the New York Yacht Club and all the boats are in Newport and have been forever. It’s cooler, windy and a great sailing area out there.

I kept my boat in Milford for years. It’s closer, but still far enough away from the city to partially escape the heat and still air.

In Long Island you have the same thing. Out by Huntington/Northport is better than port Washington if you live in the city and want to go to your boat because you’re further away from the hot, dead air. Sag Harbor in the Hamptons is a fantastic spot too.

These far away places are MUCH better to escape to and to sail in, if your only goal is to have nice times sailing outside the city. They all have train or bus service to get you out there same as anyone who goes to their house share in the Hamptons on the weekend. Heck, you can take Blade out to Sag Harbor if you’re fancy. They drop you off at your boat and I think it takes half an hour from Manhattan or something. LOL. Joking, but it can be done.

Most posters here are talking about places to stop in to visit Manhattan as tourists. Or to live aboard and commute to work in Manhattan.

But if you live in the city and want to use your boat as an escape. As a place to take mini vacations from the city in the summer and really relax and unwind, as well as doing actual sailing in breezy, cool air and pretty destinations... you really want to put it as far down Long Island sound as you are comfortable taking a train, bus or even Blade to.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, nyc