Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 13:04   #46

Re: Best paint for rode markings?

Another vote for plastic inserts.
Last count 1500 anchor deployments and they still work. We run with windlass and are ~200' chain, 250' rode on primary. Mark the chain at 25' increments, but not the rode.
Perfect Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 15:13   #47

I've tried paint and zip ties, but what really works for me is polyester ribbon, 12mm to 15mm width available at fabric stores. It's so simple and lasts for a few years. When a ribbon wears, just tie on a new on. I use two 150mm lengths, double knotted on adjacent links every 10m of chain. The ribbon comes in many colours so you can create your own colour code. I have 10mm chain and a Lewmar V4 windlass. The markers are highly visible and are not damaged by the gypsy. I use the same ribbon markers on the nylon rode. Just insert the ribbon through the 3-strand or 8-plait line and tie off. Simple.and effective.
cndcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 16:17   #48

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Anyone try Plasti-dip? https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 16:27   #49

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Tried plastic inserts, painting, West Marine printed Markers. None last long in the Bahamas. Found the best solution is polyp picked up on the beaches and intertwined in the chain links - about 8 inches. Different colors for different lengths. I use fathoms. No problem with windless!
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 16:44   #50

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Where I live the plastic inserts work out quite expensive. Each pack contains 8 pieces of one colour, there are 5 colours. Each pack costs $13. So to mark the chain is $75 minimum for me to use these.

So I print mine on my 3D printer. They need a bit of pressure to get them into the links (PLA is not that flexible) but they work as well as the bought ones. Cost to me? About 3 cents per marker or about $15 to mark my chain which is about 80 metres long. I keep a box of about 50 markers on board when we’re going to be away from home for time.

Here’s a tip that works for me. I have a stainless tube handle that I use to manage the windlass. It lives on the foredeck in clips. I have painted rings on the handle in a colour sequence that matches my chain markers. So not only do I not have to remember the sequence, even strangers on the boat know how much chain they’re putting out.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 17:15   #51

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Nail polish from the Dollar store - red, green & blue to mark five foot, 25 foot and 100 foot increments. Easy to replenish
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 18:15   #52

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I use rustolium. Yellow at 10 ft red at 50 intervals. 1 stripe 50. 2 stripes 100, 3 150 etc...... last time lasted 4 years.... not perfect but could read.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 11:21   #53

Boat: Island Packet, 40
Send a message via Skype™ to saillr

Zip Ties are best. To make them last longer do not tighten them up. Leave loose as they will move out of the way of the gypsy.
To make them easier to see - get fluorescent colors and leave the tails on. With a flashlight at night they are very easy to see.
saillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 12:04   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
For hot zinc steel ,you need WASH PRIMER , is a two-component reactive primer, bonding layer and anti-corrosion coating .A wash primer is a synthetic primer that usually contains zinc chromate or phosphoric acid. It is used as a first coat on metal surfaces and has anticorrosion properties, making it a prerequisite or pretreatment before any coating application.
We also found this works best .
With Red being the danger stop before the end.

5, marks equally spaced on chain with colors matched to an easily remembered phrase like:
Run Your Balls With Grease

Paint a significant numbrs of links to be easily seen...it is not an exact science!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 11:40   #55

Rustoleum on chain and rode. Primary anchor was all chain. A big, about a foot long, every 30 feet. the first one red, next 30 white, next 30 blue. At 120 feet two reds, 150 feet 2 whites, etc. then 3 reds, 3 whites, etc.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 13:02   #56

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

^^^ Surely by the time you have 120ft of chain out it’s easy enough to understand that this is the second time round for the colour sequence? Is it necessary to put double marks on the chain? By the time you get to three sets of marks, you’ve already got a minimum of 80 metres of chain out there!

I just repeat the sequence. The second set takes me to the end of the chain at 80m. I very rarely anchor deep enough to need more than that.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:45   #57

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
^^^ Surely by the time you have 120ft of chain out it’s easy enough to understand that this is the second time round for the colour sequence? Is it necessary to put double marks on the chain? By the time you get to three sets of marks, you’ve already got a minimum of 80 metres of chain out there!

I just repeat the sequence. The second set takes me to the end of the chain at 80m. I very rarely anchor deep enough to need more than that.
yep...exactly what we do. if i can't tell the diff between eg 25m & 65m (which marked the same), i shouldn't be here...

cheers,
Old 24-04-2021, 16:09   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You’re all so wrong

I’ve tried all that and it’s hopeless. Best of what I read is the tie wraps but after 20 years I found something better: rope. I use 1/8” double braid, 12” long pieces, tied to a chain link with a tiny bowline. These do not jam, do not go missing.

Then the order:

First is a high visibility yellow marker at 30’ or 10 meters. It means the anchor is almost there when hauling.

Next is a standard colored (whatever color you choose) marker at 60’ (20 meters) this is the minimum amount of chain to deploy, even if there’s only 5’ of water (you must have at least 60’ out for reliability)

Next is two markers at @120’ out. If 60’ isn’t enough then 120’ is, or you can estimate something in between.

Next 3 markers at 180’ and so on. This limits the amount of markers but gives a sweet spot for ease of use.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 18:52   #59

Boat: Hunter 34

Just a thought: what about the paint that hi-way departments use to mark road surfaces??? Has to put up with weather, lousy surfaces to adhere to and tremendous abrasion resistance to cars, trucks, snowplows and chemicals.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:01   #60

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Jedi is right, paint, even wire ties simply don't hold up.

I sew flat webbing tails (flags) through a chain link, one for every thirty feet. I had to cut them off, still going strong, after ten years when I finally broke down and regalvanized the chain. That represented five years of full time cruising and anchoring every night. The flags are easier to see in the dark and run through the windlass too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You’re all so wrong

I’ve tried all that and it’s hopeless. Best of what I read is the tie wraps but after 20 years I found something better: rope. I use 1/8” double braid, 12” long pieces, tied to a chain link with a tiny bowline. These do not jam, do not go missing.

Then the order:

First is a high visibility yellow marker at 30’ or 10 meters. It means the anchor is almost there when hauling.

Next is a standard colored (whatever color you choose) marker at 60’ (20 meters) this is the minimum amount of chain to deploy, even if there’s only 5’ of water (you must have at least 60’ out for reliability)

Next is two markers at @120’ out. If 60’ isn’t enough then 120’ is, or you can estimate something in between.

Next 3 markers at 180’ and so on. This limits the amount of markers but gives a sweet spot for ease of use.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, rode