Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2018, 01:55   #31

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Best place to buy Milwaukee M28 winch kit

Milwaukee also makes a 12 volt charger that will charge 12 V and 18 V batteries. That's what I use on our boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I am in the same boat as Dave_S. Mainly interested to get me up the mast.

Milwaukee makes a 220 Volt charger.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milwauke...Vkt:rk:48:pf:0
I have been trying to find out if the 110 V charger is OK for 220-240 Volt as well, as often chargers are for multiple voltages. If so, just the plug need to be changed. I have emailed Milwaukee Oz, they didn't know, and emailed Milwaukee US twice..... no reply.

At a push I could use a 110 volt charger, as I have that on board as well.

About TuffTender, they are nice and stable, maybe fit a mast and sail, and sail it your way...... I could do a delivery ...and pick up a M28 drill on my way back.

BTW the guy who sells the 'ultimate cranker' has the M28 drill on Ebay as well, but very pricey, and he responds seldom to questions. ........ just looking, can't find it now.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 02:15   #32
TB1

Re: M28 Mileauker Drill with US Winchbit. For Sale in Australia .
New and Unused
Battery and Charger 240 charger (used)
Can be posted anywhere in Oz.
Call 0438 712566
TB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 03:45   #33

Boat: Wilderness 1100

Hi Dave,
Here is the photo as discussed.
Let me know if the image doesn't display properly, as I'm having trouble sending the image, apparently due to size.
Regards,
Greg
scaredycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 03:53   #34

Boat: Wilderness 1100

Here we go again:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cranker.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	181172  
scaredycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 15:16   #35

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Scaredycat: Indeed the cranker in the photo is the one I am interested in. If Dave_S does not want the cranker, I might be interested buying that from you, but you have disabled your private messages.

BTW, .... and might be shooting myself in the foot now...... Amazon US has the drill (skin only) for $177US, then one needs to ship via a third agent/person, pay GST and delivery. and then..... one has to get a 220/230 Volt charger and batteries, which can be purchased new or secondhand on Ebay or Gumtree here in Oz.
Just did the lattter. So I am committed to this pathway.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ukee+dril+0721
Old 30-11-2018, 13:07   #36

Boat: Hanse 575

Contact Gary Saxby at UK Sails in Brisbane, Gary brings them in to Australia. The drill come from Canada and the batteries and 240volt charger comes from Sydney Power Tools. Gary supplied me with generic batteries. I have since purchased 2 new 28v Milwaukee batteries from Sydney Power Tools which work better.
Jode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 14:11   #37

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredycat View Post
Hi Dave,
Here is the photo as discussed.
Let me know if the image doesn't display properly, as I'm having trouble sending the image, apparently due to size.
Regards,
Greg
Gregg,
If the other two blokes dnt grab that , i'd be very interested!

I have the older style bit, a fellw club member I crew with, on a Dean 44 cat, has the newer ( as per your picture) item, it is a better operation.
Message me, f still available?
Thanks
Old 30-11-2018, 14:58   #38

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Just curious, but why is Milwaukee brand so important?
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 15:33   #39

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
Have heard of others , and seen some fellow local owners, what happens to the so called hand held sailors electric winches, with plastic internals, destroy themselves.
Other than an accidental drowning, these M28 angle construction drills, seem to be quite up to the task, higher pounds/inch torque rating.
Old 30-11-2018, 18:19   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
A recent entry into the marketplace is the eWincher. A kinda interesting variant on the theme, where the unit looks like an overgrown regular winch handle, so that you can use it manually as well as electrically.

Sounded good until I found the price: well over 2000 pounds!!!

THAT"S why the versatile and rugged Milwaukee is so popular!

There may be other industrial quality right angle drills around but I've not found one yet that compares.

Jim
Old 30-11-2018, 19:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A recent entry into the marketplace is the eWincher. A kinda interesting variant on the theme, where the unit looks like an overgrown regular winch handle, so that you can use it manually as well as electrically.

Sounded good until I found the price: well over 2000 pounds!!!

THAT"S why the versatile and rugged Milwaukee is so popular!

There may be other industrial quality right angle drills around but I've not found one yet that compares.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I had no idea. I'm not brand loyal to any tool manufacturers, But I didn't know Milwaukee made superior tools. I honestly had never heard of them until I saw them at Home Depot.

In your opinion, are the rest of their tools good quality? I have power tools, but never got into battery operated tools. I'm interested in purchasing some basics for "at sea" use. (i.e. grinder, drill, jigsaw).

Thanks.
Old 30-11-2018, 20:26   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Thanks Jim, I had no idea. I'm not brand loyal to any tool manufacturers, But I didn't know Milwaukee made superior tools. I honestly had never heard of them until I saw them at Home Depot.

In your opinion, are the rest of their tools good quality? I have power tools, but never got into battery operated tools. I'm interested in purchasing some basics for "at sea" use. (i.e. grinder, drill, jigsaw).

Thanks.
Wish that I had useful advice for you, but the winch driver is the only Milwaukee tool I've ever used or owned. They do have a good reputation with tradies, but I've no personal experience to fall back upon.

However, if you are going to have a Millie to drive your winches, it makes sense to buy other Milwaukee tools so that there will be battery compatibility.

They are relatively expensive, as expected with professional level tools of any sort, and if your usage is casual the added expense may not be beneficial. Middle grade or even "throwaway" tools may be a better fit...

Jim
Old 30-11-2018, 22:28   #43

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I think they make both kinds.......

Crap & quality.

I have always thought they were good quality but never owned any. I bought an "on special"4" grinder it lasted about 1/10th the life of Makita. I took it back for warranty, they sent it away to be fixed, took 6 weeks, I plugged it in it arc'ed and farted, spat sparks and died....... straight to the bin.

I suspect it was some rebadged rubbish brand they bought out as a special and not representative of their usual gear. So be careful which one you buy.

For the boat I have Ryobi, they are reasonable price and probably at the lower end of middle of the road. So far pretty good.
Old 30-11-2018, 23:35   #44

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

hmmm, the choice of Milwaukee tools in 28 volt is limited, but they are or used to be the best for trades people. Range in 18 Volt is enormous, and with a good range in 12 Volt. I have some of that 18 Volt and 12 volt gear, all faultless, all in the higher price bracket. Milwaukee has many tools that other brands do not have ie caulking gun. And once you tried such gun..... you will never want to squeeze the trigger on a normal gun.
Then I have most of my gear in AEG (mainly 18 and some 12 V), again very good, never a problem, batteries lasted me about 8-9 years, of frequent use (but not used in a trade). I had only one drill as a cheapie (Ozito) and purchased it for that reason. It turned to be expensive, poor power, and poor battery performance and batteries died a year after purchase, just outside warranty period.
So, Milwaukee thumbs up for me
Old 30-11-2018, 23:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I think they make both kinds.......

Crap & quality.

I have always thought they were good quality but never owned any. I bought an "on special"4" grinder it lasted about 1/10th the life of Makita. I took it back for warranty, they sent it away to be fixed, took 6 weeks, I plugged it in it arc'ed and farted, spat sparks and died....... straight to the bin.

I suspect it was some rebadged rubbish brand they bought out as a special and not representative of their usual gear. So be careful which one you buy.

For the boat I have Ryobi, they are reasonable price and probably at the lower end of middle of the road. So far pretty good.
Thanks Dave, as I suspected. Their M28 line is VERY expensive, but their M18 tools are reasonable. Since I know very little about cordless tools, I will probably go with one of the big 5, ... the one that has the most reasonable and available batteries. This has been the main reason that I use corded tools... they screw you on the cost of batteries. But, they all, continually upgrade their tool lines, and I'm not sure how expensive or available their legacy batteries will be, a few years down the road.

As for 'corded' tools, I have used DeWalt, Makita, and Ryobi, and they are all still running fine. I also have several Harbor freight tools and haven't ever had a problem... they are cheaply made, but they have worked just fine, for me ... but I don't think I'd trust their cordless tools.

Tags
winch