Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 06:19   #1

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26 1984 Pearson 34
Best practice to secure mast / chainplate rebed

Need to rebed leaking chainplate 1984 Pearson 34. Toe rail is teak therefore no provision to tie off halyard other than to the jib car track. Would this be sufficient? Mast is keel stepped so it's not going anywhere...
Also, should some tension be relieved on opposite shrouds while this is being done?
Thanks for advice.
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12   #2

Re: Best practice to secure mast / chainplate rebed

On a boat of this size with a single spreader rig and keel stepped mast you don't have to do anything. The lowers will hold the mast up just fine. So tying the halyard to anything will work fine as a belt and suspenders approach.

You do not need to release the tension on the other shroud. The mast will bend a tiny bit over to that side, but nothing to worry about.If you are putting everything back in the same place with the same parts, mark the turnbuckle on the shroud you are removing to get everything back to exactly where it was.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32   #3

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Best practice to secure mast / chainplate rebed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
On a boat of this size with a single spreader rig and keel stepped mast you don't have to do anything. The lowers will hold the mast up just fine. So tying the halyard to anything will work fine as a belt and suspenders approach.

You do not need to release the tension on the other shroud. The mast will bend a tiny bit over to that side, but nothing to worry about.If you are putting everything back in the same place with the same parts, mark the turnbuckle on the shroud you are removing to get everything back to exactly where it was.
Looks like the Pearson 26 has a deck stepped mast like my Bristol 27.

I just replaced all my chainplates except the forestay chainplate and I didn't use anything extra to hold up the mast, but I do have two lowers on each side.

I also replaced both forward lowers one at a time with the mast up. I may have tied a halyard to the missing lower side before I climbed the mast but don't remember for sure.

I'll replace the stern lowers in the late Fall or early Winter.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, mast