Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2010, 18:59   #31

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Newt:

You make some valid points and I don't disagree. But the OP DID say he planned to "camp out" and occasionally do some sailing.

My advice has always been to try it first, preferably by crewing. And if I didn't give that advice in this thread, you could look it up in others.

And the weather and winds in and around Toronto are invariably salubrious.

Wannabesailor:

Just was at the boat show tonight and took a look at the Beneteaus. I assume the one you're talking about is the 34, but I did cast a glance at the 37 as well.

Either would suit your main purpose.

But I wouldn't have one on a bet.

That's because IF you were sailing and IF you hit some weather (and, yes, it happens) neither boat is going to be comfortable and safe.

That huge cockpit scares me, especially the way the coaming vanishes near the stern. Short people are going to be hanging on for dear life it they're on the high side and (because of the angle of the coaming) sliding out if they're on the low side.

There are no (or almost no) handholds below. Trying to move around in the saloon in even a moderate sea would be playing like pinball from the inside.

Going down the companionway would also be a dance. The only handhold is on the port side and you have to go down two steps down before you can grab it.

OTOH, at the dock both would be VERY comfortable.

If you're looking for a new boat (and you have the cash) go talk to Slavek at North Lakes Yachting and get him to put you into a Delphia 33. I don't know the pricetag but it's in the same ball park and it's an incomparably better boat. (INHO. YMMV)

And it's probably almost as nice a cottage at the Bennie.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 19:17   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
brand and type? wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesailor View Post
I am curious if anyone has any suggestions as to what type is the best for a new sailor.
I am thinking brand, and type
Brand is one of the last things you want to think about. Begin by thinking about what sort of relationship you want to have with the boat. After that, consider what sort of boat you can navigate responsibly with your current sailing skills.

Start your sailing career by sailing, not by shopping. You'll find that within a short time a boat will choose you, rather than vice versa.
Old 16-01-2010, 17:48   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
pirate We see eye to eye

Conne- I think we see eye to eye. Maybe your just more practical. Wannabe- please consider my advice and don't throw you money away until you have been through at least one gale. Even daysailing, you will get one!
Just being out there will change your opinion on boats. When I first started I wanted a Bene too. (pun intended)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
With a new boat, maintenance should be relatively small. but count on some every year -- oil changes, bottom paint, like that.

Storage costs -- in water and on land -- depend on where. The marinas and clubs have charges based on size. So you need to know what size boat and where you will be keeping it.

Haulout and launch ... it's a group effort at our club, and it's figured into annual fees. If you're at a marina, I think, they'll charge you by the foot. If I remember rightly, at Outer Harbour for our boat they would have charged a couple hundred each way.

Insurance also goes by size, but is not awfully expensive (I think I pay a couple hundred a year for a 27-footer (which is, I grant you, somewhat older than a 2010 vessel).)

Bear in mind that a boat is a hole in the water where the money goes. There will always be things you need but don't have.

F'r instance, does the Benni you saw come with dock lines and fenders? Anchor and rode? Nav instruments above the basic speed and depth? VHF? Sails? Autopilot?

Was at the show yesterday but didn't look at the Beneteaus. Maybe later in the week. The nicest new boat I saw was the Delphia 37. But too big for our club, so out of the question, even if I had the cash.

Another thing to bear in mind is how you fit the boat, rather than how the boat fits your budget. Are you six-four? You're going to bang your head a lot in some smaller boats. Is the Admiral five-six? She not going to be able to sit comfortably in a lot of wide cockpits when the boat is well-heeled. Are there handholds below so you can move safely from the companionway to the V-berth in a seaway? Can the Admiral reach them?

Connemara
What did you like about the Delphia?
I didnt see it at the Boat Show..must have missed it.
Is it a top quality boat?
Thanks
wannabesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 19:54   #35

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
It was right next to the Beneteaus. They had the 37 on the floor and had expected to have a 40, but it was delayed.

What I like about the Delphias is a range of things, but mainly they they're built with sailing in mind. The cockpit is big, but not scary big. It's designed with safety and comfort in mind. Remember, a sailboat tend to be tilted a lot ... a small person needs to be able to brace.

The salon is lovely -- all the usual comforts -- but there are handholds everywhere. Remember, the old saying -- a hand for you and a hand for the boat.

I could go on.

Basically, they seem to me to be sound, well-designed vessels that I'd feel confident taking through almost any weather. And they'd be really comfy at the dock, as well.

Out of my price range, though. Well out.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:04   #36

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
A boat with good resale value. If you don't know what you are geting into you might want to get out or get a different boat after you get some experience
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote