Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 11:45   #196

Boat: G-Cat 5.7 - soon a full time cruiser
Re: Best Sailing channels on Youtube

I like MJ Sailing. They started off in Michigan and have expanded their range and boats over the last few years. Their boat builds are great and in fact they are now going to build a kit boat that is going to be really fun to watch!
mgriff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:25   #197

Captain Q Yacht Hunter.

Amazing. I could listen to him discuss anything. One of those great voices. He goes mainly throughout New England looking for older yachts at decent prices. The terminology he uses is so beyond me, so they helpfully put definitions on the screen as he is talking.

Wonderfully done with a great sense of humor. And extremely educational.
BrockS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:06   #198

Check out:

Millennial Falcon.

Young English/Australian couple. Very cute happy funny couple having a great time on a tight budget.

To bad everybody couldn't find a way to do this at their age. What an experience.
SV_Galateia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:50   #199

I think its:

Sailing Millennial Falcon
SV_Galateia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:08   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Arr View Post
Their content, structured reasoning, and production skills are great. The hipster thing turns me off.
We watched some of theirs as we are planning a driving trip to Alaska in 2022 and they had a series on it. Plus we also mix RV and Boat travel.

You answered what bugs me about them. I should like their channel good production, organized, similar activities and experiences...but I have this inexplicable urge to smack him around some. I think it's the hipster thing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:14   #201

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We watched some of theirs as we are planning a driving trip to Alaska in 2022 and they had a series on it. Plus we also mix RV and Boat travel.

You answered what bugs me about them. I should like their channel good production, organized, similar activities and experiences...but I have this inexplicable urge to smack him around some. I think it's the hipster thing.
Lol. Like when he was all "I have a flat tire on the Alaska highway...oh no!" I am pretty sure he does it for effect but sometimes I want to shake him by the scruff...
Old 06-03-2021, 22:04   #202

Some of these channels get annoying.

Project Atticus. They lived on their boat for years and suddenly discover rot right when they want a bigger boat and decide against crossing the pracific.

Sailing Doodles where the guy single hands his boat without proper preparation though a shipping around in bad weather.

Both were then begging for money. The latter gave up on sailing altogether and now has a powerboat.

There's a few that are really good. Sailing Uma are living aboard in winter in Norway. James from Zingaro legitimately had his boat sink and is great to watch. Soulianis is good and Jibsea is an excellent new one.

There's also some that are scary like Good Bad and Ugly where they're in Puerto Rico in hurricane season and getting caught by bad weather.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 23:23   #203

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I don't know if it is a "best" sailing channel - but ours garners a lot of postivie comments

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...euning+channel

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 19:18   #204

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

https://youtube.com/c/BlownAway

A new one, just taking off - fun to watch. Check them out. [emoji569]
Old 07-03-2021, 19:53   #205

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

James on Zingaro just had a pretty terrible day. The oyster he's been refitting for the last few months just had a broken thruhull while off the coast of Curacao. The boat took on a lot of water, up to the floorboards. The batteries were submerged, hopefully the engine and generator are ok. He did a live stream a couple hours after the event, once they got the water under control. Hopefully he is towed safely back to port. Time for another haul out. I hope that he can figure out and share what exactly happened once he gets a chance to inspect the thruhull.

Hopefully he will not abandon the boat like Bobby from Doodles. I really enjoy watching him, and have really been happy about his progress with this boat.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 13:57   #206

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
James on Zingaro just had a pretty terrible day. The oyster he's been refitting for the last few months just had a broken thruhull while off the coast of Curacao. The boat took on a lot of water, up to the floorboards. The batteries were submerged, hopefully the engine and generator are ok. He did a live stream a couple hours after the event, once they got the water under control. Hopefully he is towed safely back to port. Time for another haul out. I hope that he can figure out and share what exactly happened once he gets a chance to inspect the thruhull.

Hopefully he will not abandon the boat like Bobby from Doodles. I really enjoy watching him, and have really been happy about his progress with this boat.

He just replaced them all just last month and I noticed they were all Marelon, not bronze. It’ll be interesting to see if that had anything to do with the reason why it failed.

I had a boat with all Marelon thru hulls for 11 years and had no problems with them at all. But on my current boat I was replacing an ‘at waterline’ bronze thru hull and as I was tightening it into place that last 1/4 turn to have it aligned just the way I wanted it, I snapped it right off. I admittedly was using all my strength and a pretty sizable wrench at the time but I was still surprised it broke and that scared me right back to using bronze.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:12   #207

He just did another update that says it wasn’t a broken thru hull after all and instead was the speed transducer. Not sure if it broke or somebody didn’t screw it in tightly enough. Note to self, never let anyone else do that little chore on my boat because it’s too easy for an inexperienced person to put it in a bit crooked and not notice that the threads didn’t catch when they think they’re screwing it down into place.
Old 08-03-2021, 14:22   #208

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Yeah, once I was able to weed through all the presumptuous ignorance and hate in the youtube comments, I found some saying that's what they discovered. I'd like to find out exactly how that failed. Hopefully there isn't too much water damage, but it seems likely that he'll have to replace some floorboards in addition to all the batteries.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:33   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post

I was sad to hear that as I like James and they were FINAlLY going to be making interesting videos again. He did seem to be prepared though his bilge pump was a little undersized.

Some sailing body really needs to come up with a safety checklist that includes a backup bilge pump on power not separate from the bilge and far above where the water would be.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:56   #210

in his latest update he said that it broke off flush with the hull so that makes me think the plastic outer ring that goes through the hull and you put the transducer down into broke off. I don't think I'd have thought of it before this incident either but in retrospect not too surprising since he mentioned many times how hot the boat had gotten while it sat for 3 or 4 years, hauled out in tropical heat and everything else plastic had to be replaced because it had partially melted. Coincidentally, I just replaced my speed transducer and since it fit into the old thru hull fitting, was going to reuse that because it seemed to be in good shape, but the electronics tech at Hinckleys who was installing my new electronics told me that I should go ahead and replace that thru hull that came with the transducer because "they sometimes get brittle after awhile." I'll see him tomorrow and will be sure to thank him for his good advice.

Tags
sail, sailing