Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2020, 14:29   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Best Tool Bag

These are by far my favorite tool bags

https://vetopropac.com/
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 14:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
These are cool: #711 Original Nantucket Diddy Bagg - Tall Canvas Tool Tote
https://nantucketbagg.com/collection...ant=7305290945

I saw them at the Annapolis show last year and would have picked one up except they are pricey. I love the way you can unzip it and unroll it open like a tool roll, then roll it back up and zip it back into a bag. Thinking of sewing my own

Cool idea, that bag.

Perhaps now is the time to get one. From their website:

Shop At Home Sale! 30% Off All Purchases.
Enter Discount Code SHOPATHOME

(I have no affiliation or relationship... just passing the info)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 14:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Having started my career as an auto mechanic, I originally bought top-end tools to ply my trade. That was in 1973, I still have 98% of them in my workshop 47 years later. I promised myself I would never take them on the boat to get destroyed.

When I bought my boat in 2006 in the US, there were no tools on board and since we would be voyaging to NZ, I went to Home Depot in San Diego and bought an el-cheapo tool set along with two sets of open-box spanners and a screw driver set in plastic folding boxes. My thinking was they would last for the voyage home then I would toss them out.

They’re all still on the boat, all still fully functional and still in their original “packaging”. No rust, no wear, nothing missing. The only thing I have replaced is the side cutter as the cutting edge got dulled with corrosion.

Previously I had different cloth roll-ups that I made myself, specific to the job at hand. One electrical, one plumbing and one mechanical. But as someone else said, once the bag gets salt water on it, the life of the tools in it is essentially over.

The plastic formed boxes I have now are “the bee’s knees” on my boat.
No chance this is real, you must have lost your 10mm socket a hundred times
TravelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 15:04   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I've gone through a few choices.

Metal would be unsuitable. Inexpensive plastic toolboxes have been a fail for me. After a couple of drops or a few bounces around the cabin, the hinges or clasps break.

I've thought about a fabric tool bag, which I use ashore, but I'd be concerned about the fabric getting damp/wet, especially if you're in a saltwater environment. I suppose you could make the bag interior "oily" to help protect tools.

There are some open tool caddies, but they of course dump the tools if they flip.

Ours is a small boat so I don't need a lot of big tools aboard. My new toolbox will be a plastic 30-cal ammo case. It's more robust, waterproof, and has much better hinge and latch. It might store easier too.

On this page, there's a longer 12-gauge ammo case that might have been an even better choice.

Hope this provides some ideas.
I have similar thoughts and considered a Pelican waterproof case. However, I haven't been able to find one that will hold the tools I currently have without them sloping around all over each other. Thanks for the thoughts!
Sailguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 16:05   #20

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I agree with above posters saying that metal cases are out, plastic won't last long.
If my boat was big enough I would like something like the Milwaukee packout set https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/mi...8228400-3.html
Or a cheaper version are available, like from AEG, DeWalt etc.
These kind of plastic boxes are strong.
The negative side of these systems is that they do not really take a lot of tools, and takes a lot of space for what they can store... and they are expensive.

Up to now I have had on my boat a few soft bags (all freebies), a few rolls and the canvas tool rolls I made many years ago are falling apart.

I agree with post # 10 about Atlas. My son is using them on his offroad vehicle. Those tool rolls are very sturdy, and practical. The only problem is price, particular for us in Oz, with our dollar being that low.
Maybe it is time to take the sewing machine out again and get some canvas.
Old 22-04-2020, 16:57   #21

Boat: Nordic 44

One bag is not enough. You will want a separate bag for wrenches which you will use far less often, another bag for very large tools and a daily go to bag with common tools like screwdrivers, pliers, small crescent wrenches that you will use far more often.

I can't comment on what is available today because all of my tool bags are a least ten tears old and they are all Craftsmen. The last time I bought Craftsmen had a three bag set that fit the bill nicely. Unfortunately Craftsmen quality depends on who made them at the time and all that has changed.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 17:52   #22

Boat: Allweather 26

I read above a bias against plastic tool boxes. However this is what I have. For a plastic box they are very sturdy. I can't imagine breaking one.
https://www.contico.com/tuff-box
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 19:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdfk View Post
I read above a bias against plastic tool boxes. However this is what I have. For a plastic box they are very sturdy. I can't imagine breaking one.
https://www.contico.com/tuff-box

Those are definitely better-grade than the plastic toolboxes that gave me problems.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 04:49   #24

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Me too on plastic tool boxes.

I bought mine in 1981 for first cruising boat, and still using it on the third. It has a small tray inside a larger tray inside the box. I've got at maybe 15 pounds of tools inside, and don't expect it will ever break.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 05:59   #25

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I prefer soft tool bags because they collapse, taking far less space.

The best ones are US military surplus like this https://www.omahas.com/shop/tool-bag-u-s-made-canvas/ They can be found at gunshows and flea markets for a lot less. These typically have YKK zippers, pastic reinforced bottoms, and are mold/ mildew resistant.

Be careful with the knockoff Chinese-made versions on Amazon. Even US military suppliers like Rothco sell cheaper knockoffs "military style" or whatever marketing mumbo jumbo. So be careful.

German, Swiss, and Dutch surplus tool bags are also great.

For a "decent" tool bag that's not as good as military surplus, the tool bags sold at high prices at Lowes and Home Depot are OK. Not great, and certainly not the best value, but they're OK. DeWalt branded are much better than Ryobi; just about anyone who handles them can figure that out. Still, overpriced.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 07:47   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The last thing I want is one big bag. It's too heavy, won't fit in many places, and has tools I don't need. Also, different tool groups seem to like different storage mechanism. Thus, I have many different types, all of which have merits and shortcomings. I like a small general purpose bag, with a little bit of everything (electrician's tote--also handy up the mast), rolls for wrenches, plastic trays for bits and pieces, and multiple bags for larger stuff.

It's always interesting to see new ideas.
Old 23-04-2020, 09:04   #27

Boat: Freedom 38

I must have too many tools. I'm with Thinwater on having an assortment. I have small-ish zippered canvas bags for 1) the electrical tools 2) screwdrivers, 3) sockets, and 4) assorted odd wrenches such as for the air filter. Then roll ups for 1) SAE wrenches, 2) an assortment of small tools such as picks, adjustable wrenches, chisel, box cutters, etc. I need another roll up. Only one soft-sided tool box for the hard to store items including tape measures and other weird shaped tools. It's awkward and a pain when it gets too heavy as someone mentioned. Lastly are the plastic containers for the mirror with the long arm, small saws, and such. The only problem with all these is that no matter how small a job, every single one of them needs to be brought out.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 09:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I must have too many tools. I'm with Thinwater on having an assortment. I have small-ish zippered canvas bags for 1) the electrical tools 2) screwdrivers, 3) sockets, and 4) assorted odd wrenches such as for the air filter. Then roll ups for 1) SAE wrenches, 2) an assortment of small tools such as picks, adjustable wrenches, chisel, box cutters, etc. I need another roll up. Only one soft-sided tool box for the hard to store items including tape measures and other weird shaped tools. It's awkward and a pain when it gets too heavy as someone mentioned. Lastly are the plastic containers for the mirror with the long arm, small saws, and such. The only problem with all these is that no matter how small a job, every single one of them needs to be brought out.

Isn't THAT the truth?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:44   #29

Boat: Maine Cat 38

This thread came along at just the right time. I just reorganized tools on the boat, but was not yet satisfied. I was about to build a tool bag.

Then came the reference to Green Mountain Bags. I just ordered two from Fawcetts. Looks like a good solution for my needs.

[URL="http://www.fawcettboat.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=5A204838BE774CEDA0C25B82 7A059265"[/URL]

Now to work on storing sockets in order of size. ...what is your favorite method?
Old 23-04-2020, 11:24   #30

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Best Tool Bag

I’ve got a larger Klein tool bag that I put my heavy stuff in. Engineering hammer, drifts, hacksaw, stuffing box wrenches, looong screwdrivers, etc. it’s long enough to hold socket holder rails. I end up with 1/4,3/8, and 1/2 and more rails for adapters, hex drivers, deep socket six point sockets and so on
I have several riggers bags from harbor freight. One for the 90% jobs (90 percent of the tools you need) one for rigging, one for mechanical. I keep my screwdrivers and wrenches in rolls.
I have separate zip bags for heavy electrical and for electronic work. Then a bag for losing things in.
I end up using the 90% bag plus a specialty bag for most jobs. Sometimes I will have a duplicate tool in more than one bag so I can access the tool easily.
And hole saws and electric drills etc live in gasketed plastic boxes.

At least once a year I take everything out, triage, sort, and put away.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote