Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2023, 07:37   #1

Best type of mattress

So we are starting to live on our boat for most of the year and need something better than the glorified couch cushions we have on our bed. I'm torn between buying something from https://artisansmattress.com/ where they take a tempurpedic mattress and cut/recover it to fit properly on the boat, or https://www.comfortcustombedding.com/marine-mattresses where they just custom make a traditional spring mattress for my boat.

The advantage with the tempurpedic is that it has a 10 year warranty (which is still honored after the modification), but I figured you guys would have some input on what works better.
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 08:55   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: Best type of mattress

I have made our own. Get a good 4 inch thick foam piece (we like pretty firm) and use spray adhesive to layer a 2 inch topper of memory foam. Get an old electric knife to cut to shape and sew a cover. I use a poly mesh for the bottom of the cover and microfiber or sunbrella for the sides and top. Put a zipper in the back so the whole thing can be removed for the laundry.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 09:50   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Agree that a spring mattress w/a built in foam topper is very good and is what we have on our boat now. Only downside is the height (thickness of the mattress and sometimes getting them in through the companionway.

In a previous boat, I customized a spring mattress to fit the contour of the hull and it wasn't too hard. Cutting through the side fabric, revealed that the springs are framed by heavier steel wire edges with other support rods and clips. I cut the wire edges and removed the appropriate # of springs from the rows to match the contour, then swagged the wires back together. Sutured the fabric back together, done. The mattress lasted many years and others that stayed on the boat, thought it was one of the best mattresses they ever slept on.

Don't know what shape you need, but the last time I looked at a boat show price they were fairly expensive. I would wait to find a boat show and either visit the show or check out the vendors at the show to see if there are any show discounts (call them).

If you like foam mattresses, these people have decent prices. They have all sorts and can custom cut them.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 10:13   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
I have made our own. Get a good 4 inch thick foam piece (we like pretty firm) and use spray adhesive to layer a 2 inch topper of memory foam. Get an old electric knife to cut to shape and sew a cover. I use a poly mesh for the bottom of the cover and microfiber or sunbrella for the sides and top. Put a zipper in the back so the whole thing can be removed for the laundry.
Good post/idea!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 10:01   #5

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

we bought a 4" firm form and topped it with 2" of latex. then used a mattress pad to cover it. Because it is always a bed, we didn't think covering it with upholstery fabric was necessary. we ordered the foam thru the 'foam factory'.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote