Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2022, 10:26   #31

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Best Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you dont think good whiskey makes a difference in a mixed drink.

Go get a $10 1/2 gal bottle of “whiskey charcoal filtered” and a bottle of just Jack Daniels and made up a couple.
If the whisk(e)y is good in the first place, why would you adulterate the flavor with a mix?

Quote:
Half the people who decide to read a whiskey thread want to talk about rum
You need a drink...
Old 28-04-2022, 11:01   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Calm down let’s discuss this over a drink, of whatever wets your whistle.
You might have talked about production Rum on a sailing forum. Fubar.
On sailing platforms you can start an argument from Rums out of production against new rums in production.
No one ever said a ration of Jack Daniels. Was a ration of awful Jamaican Rum.
You may have forgotten to mention Screech the unknown Rum barrel wash which is just yummy.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 11:48   #33

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
If you dont think good whiskey makes a difference in a mixed drink.

Go get a $10 1/2 gal bottle of “whiskey charcoal filtered” and a bottle of just Jack Daniels and made up a couple.

In this case 0ne is for the brown paper baggers anchored under the bridge and other is for normal boat scum.

That $10 a bottle must give a nasty hangover...
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 12:07   #34

Boat: Nordship 808

There is no such thing as the "Best whiskey" - it's all about context, weather mood etc

So for a fine late summer evening on a sail boat I'd recommend Johnnie Walker Gold Label. It is a fantastic whisky (misunderstood by most reviewers). When it has been in the glass for about 10 minutes it will develop a salt note that makes it very appropriate. It's great - try it.

And yes I also own a selection of fine single malts, but the guy who made the recipe for JW Gold Label, knows what he is doing and definitely a yachtie
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 12:20   #35

This is the best argument thread ever. Sip in between profanities is top forum decorum.
Let’s pick on Gin drinkers. Kidding.
Who knew Corona is for Gringos and Modelo Especial is the real deal. We beat up Mexico now they ship Modelo.
Same goes for Australia. How dare you ship Fosters. How about some Hanns VB TN.
When we were in Aus I found a dirt cheap 3L Stanley’s table wine like $8.00.
So we get their lovable Cabernet Yellow Tail and Bin but no cheap Stanley’s. They also have Morton bay bugs good eating they don’t export either.
Whiskey is celebrated globally.
Most famous Canadian whiskey Like Crown CC and others were born from illegal sales to USA during prohibition.
Our Famous Sleemans pirates turned respectable brewers apparently stole 5 US gun boats during the battle of York and sold 4 back after taking all the guns. A few of the cannons are decorations in a park in Oakville not far from where the boats were stripped. The McGinnis Brothers has Al Capone as a regular visitor to their resort on Lake Simcoe. There is a lot of funny Canadian history in our liquor.
Old 28-04-2022, 12:29   #36

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

General overall whether it is sipping or mixing - Four Roses
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 12:58   #37

Another Canadian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5305A8E3-5446-49E1-BDB2-C07E00C7722A.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	256813  
Old 28-04-2022, 14:04   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
... Most famous Canadian whiskey Like Crown CC and others were born from illegal sales to USA during prohibition...
NOT true.
Certainly, US prohibition played a large part, in growth of Canadian distillers.

Hiram Walker and Sons [Canadian Club, Wiser's whisky] was founded in 1838. He moved his distillery across the Detroit River to Windsor [Walkerville], Ontario, in 1858.
Hiram Walker merged with Gooderham & Worts, Ltd. in 1926, yielding Hiram Walker-Gooderham & Worts, Ltd.

In 1857, Waterloo Distillery was founded in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Joseph E. Seagram became a partner with George Randall, William Roos and William Hespeler in 1869 and sole owner in 1883, and the company became known as Joseph E. Seagram & Sons. Many decades later, in 1924, Samuel Bronfman and his brothers founded Distillers Corporation Limited, in Montreal, which enjoyed substantial growth in the 1920s, in part due to Prohibition in the United States.
Crown Royal Canadian Whisky was introduced in 1939, by Samuel Bronfman for the 1939 royal tour of Canada. The whisky was sold only in Canada until the 1960s, when it was first introduced to international markets

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 14:58   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
That $10 a bottle must give a nasty hangover...
Not if you don't drink it all at once...
Old 28-04-2022, 15:07   #40

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch

Yes, the best whiskey on board is Rum.
I agree with the sentiment - if mixing, any old rot will do. Sipping is best.
Maybe add some foo-foo for parties.
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 15:11   #41

Boat: EDELCAT33

I like Old Parr, Johnny Walker Blue label, Glennfidish 15. For rums Pampero Aniversario, Ron Zacapa XO
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 18:12   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have a friend whose prize bar possession is a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, which he will drag out only on special occasions.

At $200 something per bottle...he ought to keep it in a safe.....not hidden underneath on a shelf in his bar
Nonetheless, an occasion arose which brought this bottle out, and I was invited to try this elixir.
I'm not a whiskey drinker, so I couldn't not say whether this was good or bad stuff, as I could not compare it to anything else as I don't typically drink whiskey, but made some appropriate noises to convey my thanks, while thinking I certainly would not pay $200 for this.

Whiskey must be an acquired taste. There seems to be some protocol as how it should be imbibed. Just guzzling it down is clearly not the correct way.

Being an old rummy, the hoopla surrounding whiskey is beyond my pay scale to appreciate, but I enjoy reading this thread.

Maybe I'll learn something
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 19:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Whiskey must be an acquired taste.
It can be, especially Scotch. I still don't care much for them. Some people say it's like drinking a campfire, to me it's more like burning tires.

I was never a 'hard liquor' drinker until about a dozen years ago. Thought it all tasted like Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. My ex-pat daughter and her husband brought me a bottle of Penderyn Welsh whiskey. Completely changed my attitude.
Old 28-04-2022, 22:23   #44

Boat: Nordship 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I have a friend whose prize bar possession is a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, which he will drag out only on special occasions.

At $200 something per bottle...he ought to keep it in a safe.....not hidden underneath on a shelf in his bar
Nonetheless, an occasion arose which brought this bottle out, and I was invited to try this elixir.
I'm not a whiskey drinker, so I couldn't not say whether this was good or bad stuff, as I could not compare it to anything else as I don't typically drink whiskey, but made some appropriate noises to convey my thanks, while thinking I certainly would not pay $200 for this.

Whiskey must be an acquired taste. There seems to be some protocol as how it should be imbibed. Just guzzling it down is clearly not the correct way.

Being an old rummy, the hoopla surrounding whiskey is beyond my pay scale to appreciate, but I enjoy reading this thread.

Maybe I'll learn something
JW Blue is not 160$ better than let's say JW Black, it doesn't work that way unfortunately. To me the JW Blue is like a JW black, just much more polished with no rough edges, which I guess comes with the age of SOME of the whiskys in there. It's a nice drink, but you will have to know what to look for in order to spot why it's a 200$ bottle. Value-wise it's hard to beat the JW Black. For a great maritime experience JW Gold Label is the winner with it's salty notes. Where I live it can sometimes be picked up for around 35$ which is a steal.

For single malts Glenlivet 12 is probably best bang for the buck and seems to win blind tasting again and again.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 22:46   #45

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
If you’re looking for “Whiskey” then you’re talking either Irish or American (Scotch is “Whisky”).

Irish - you can’t really go wrong with Jamieson’s or Bushmills.
American - I’ll leave that to other’s better qualified than me.

As an alternative, what about “The Kraken” (rum).
If you don’t like the taste, you can always look at the pretty picture!
Attachment 256792
The Kraken with ice is great
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote