Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2022, 09:03   #61

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Best Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I sipped

Meanwhile at the start of this thread i was drinking a local mirco distillery that $65/bottle. Now that i gone through half the bottle i can say i dont like as well as regular Jack Daniels
Well, everyone's palate is different. And it can be 'trained', if one wants to get into that sort of thing.

IMO 'micro/boutique-distilling' is a fad. Making good whiskey is as much art as science. Anyone can do it, but not everyone does it well.
Old 29-04-2022, 09:37   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What is the best whiskey for having aboard your sailing yacht along with the proper mixers for cockpit sundowners?

Feel free to specify whether your choice is for blazer wearing events, average boat scum get togethers, boat scum scum gatherings, and the brown paper bag drinkers anchored under the bridge.
I am going to try to redirect this to the highlighted
Old 29-04-2022, 11:44   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Well sometimes it is better, but most of the time, it's the name on it that you pay $$$ for.

I would normally buy a $15 Port Tawny that was good and from the same brand, the $30 one was excellent, but one day decided to pay myself a treat, so I purchased the $80 one from another hyped up brand, bad idea.
I started drinking $5 bottles of port, hey, it was decades ago! Then jumped up to $10 bottles, and there was a real improvement in taste, so I moved up to the $20 and maybe $30 bottle for special occasions. I started buying vintage bottles that were $40-50 and giving them out as presents. Decades later, we opened one of the vintages to drink but before we opened the bottle, we checked it's value. The value made us wonder if we should open the bottle because it was worth $300-500.

No doubt what so ever that the bottle was the best port we had every drank. It was wonderful. Was it worth $300-500? I don't know, I never would have spent that much on a bottle of alcohol, but it sure was worth the $50ish I spend decades ago.

Costco sells a Kirkland brand of port that is VERY good, well priced, and the same port would likely cost much more in a different label.

The wife and I like single malt scotch. We have done tasting at a few distilleries and we can taste the differences. We both like peaty scotch which I could see some people not liking. I think the most expensive alcohol we have bought has been a single malt we bought from a distillery during a visit to Campbeltown, Scotland, and I have bought a peaty bottle from another Scottish distillery here in the states, both around $100 and well worth it.

Interestingly, while we were docked in Campbeltown, a large catamaran tied up near us. One of the guys on board invests in expensive wine. He told us the people in China would buy very expensive bottles of wine but would pour it, and other wine, into a punch bowl from which the wine was served.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 13:17   #64

Storage is often a premium on boats, and I don’t need multiple bottles of whiskey.

I determined long ago that one should choose a whiskey that is good enough for you or guests to enjoy straight up, yet isn’t so expensive that you don’t want someone pouring it over their Cola on ice! Where this line is drawn differs for everyone based on their taste and wallet. For me, a favorite - decent, mixable whiskey is Buffalo Trace. Elijah Craig and a few others mentioned here would fill the bill as well.

Happy drinking folks!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 13:27   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Whalers Rum $9.99 at Traders Joe's. Too bad I moved to Canada!!!
If you’re referring to the Whalers Dark Rum… +1

Incredibly dense rum flavors. Excellent for both mixing and cooking as a result… making sure there’s plenty to sip next to the bowl! Only downside is it’s dark color can make your mixed umbrella type drinks a bit ugly colored! So, don’t serve in clear glasses and savor the flavor!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:53   #66

One to add to the liquor cabinet.

A record-breaking 311-liter bottle filled with rare Scotch is about to go up for auction, and it may fetch up to $2 million.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...b67590aa27df1b

The Intrepid, from the auction house Lyon & Turnbull and The Macallan, officially became the world’s largest bottle of whisky on September 9, 2021 (as recognized by the Guinness World Records). The bottle, just under six feet tall, contains a 32-year-old, 43% ABV whisky distilled at the Macallan Distillery in Scotland in 1989. Size-wise, it’s around the equivalent of 444 regular-sized bottles.

The bottle is called Intrepid because it’s inspired by explorers, and proceeds from the sale are earmarked to “support the explorers’ chosen environmental, physical and mental well-being charities.” The explorers are also part of the bottle’s artwork.

The Lyon & Turnball site describes the liquid as follows: “After maturing in two sister casks in Macallan’s Speyside warehouse for 32 years, the exclusive liquid was bottled last year by Duncan Taylor Scotch Whisky, one of the leading independent whisky bottling companies. To commemorate this momentous event, a small number of exclusive bottle sets were also produced. These comprise a collection of 12 bottles, each filled with the remaining 32-year-old Macallan whisky from the same casks used to fill the record-breaking bottle. Each set includes a replica of the main bottle design along with individual versions dedicated to each of the explorers associated with the project.”

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:40   #67

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

The best whiskey to have on onboard? You plan to have only one bottle? Are you new to boating? "The best" could be called a variety or an assortment. You need rum (cheap stuff) for the blender drinks, a decent Scotch, vodka and gin, then, while you're cruising the aisles of the liquor store, grab a decent Canadian Rye and some Bourbon. You're set unless someone wants wine or beer.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:49   #68

Boat: GibSea 472

Spicy Barbado Rhums are de facto sailors drink. Or the fancy French 'Rhum de plantation' from Martinique is quite appropriate. Single malt Irish or Scotland scotches are good, as long as you don't denature them by adding ice, or worst God forbid any mix. By the way, I think that Bourbon is inapropriate on a boat,,, or at home! ..
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:55   #69

While we’re on the subject, I just want to say that I can’t help but think it odd that in my home state of California, we can carry open containers of any type of alcohol on any vessel, any guest, crew member or even the skipper can engaging the consumption of said alcohol while underway, without legal penalty or scrutiny.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:57   #70

Boat: GibSea 472

Rhum Agricole from Martinique(Saint-James?) is in my opinion the propper drink as long as you don't mix it with anything including Ice. Ditto for some good single malt whisky of adult age. Bourbon and worst mixes have nothing to do on a sailboat.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:57   #71

Boat: Bavaria 36'

I am a whiskey fan but sadly my health precludes imbibing the quantities of this and other alcohol that I used to. My favourite was Bowmore 15 year old.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:03   #72

Location: New Hampshire supposedly...but usually where the anchor drops
Boat: Kanter 63

If it’s good whiskey, it would be a sin to use it in a mix. If you’re mixing it, then any will do. Generally though, most people prefer rum, gin, or vodka for sundowners. Another piece of sound advice from my mother….”if you’re going to drink at work, make sure you drink whiskey or gin and NEVER vodka. That way everyone will know you’re drunk and not just stupid”
skavanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:06   #73

Depends on where you are. If the Carribean, a local rum is better. If you mean a bourbon, I’m a fan of Pendleton or Makers Mark. If a Scotch then Glenfiddich or Glenmorainge. Hennessy White while a brandy, is fantastic in a pinch.
TXProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:08   #74

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

For mixing, sure, cheap is good. We like Evan Williams for that. It is not the very cheapest but it is very affordable and with diet coke, it goes down pretty good. We picked up a handle of Benchmark because it was on sale, and $16 for a handle is pretty cheap price these days. Meh. It was severely underwhelming, I thought. Evan is good. Beam (black label) is good, and just a couple of bucks more. Our favorite whiskey cocktails (as opposed to simply mixing with coke or club soda) mostly use rye, and our favorite is Old Overholt. A very good, snappy, classic rye with just the right bite. Sometimes this venerable old brand is hard to find and we go with Sazerac brand, which is still okay but seems like it is sort of dumbed down for the sheeple. Anyway our favorite cocktails are the Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Sazerac, and in the winter, Hot Toddy. For the Hot Toddy, bourbon will do but rye has a certain je ne sais quoi that makes it a livelier and more cheerful cup of cheer. An Old Fashioned very nearly is anything you want to put in a glass, the recipe is that vague and general, and most people will just use any old whiskey, but do try one with rye. Maybe a blind taste test with rye and your favorite bourbon. We do it thisly. muddle a sugar cube into a quarter of a small or an eightth of a large orange, with a generous splash of both Angostura and Orange Bitters. Add two or three shots of Old Overholt and a very large ice cube, and stir. Wipe the glass rim with a twist and twist another piece over the drink and drop it in, and a cherry, then top with a splash of soda, not too much. It is a very attractive, aromatic, and tasty beverage. Drink it before the ice melts too much. Those little machine made ice half rounds from your freezer's ice maker are the pits. Don't use them. We have the molds for the clear ice balls and we like them a lot. They work by freezing from the top down and forcing dissolved air down into a lower chamber, which is what makes ice cubes cloudy in the center. The ice balls in the upper chambers come out perfectly clear and look really great in an Old Fashion or rocks glass, and melt slowly while keeping the drink chilled.

We almost never drink straight whiskey and I honestly don't have a preference there.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:31   #75
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

I always like to keep a good bottle of single malt. I fancy Islay's Laphoiag 10yr. Have drank enough whiskey to float a battleship, and still my goto, price point and is available everywhere in the world, is Jack Daniels. 1.75-liter good value, good straight or for mixing.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote