Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2024, 08:47   #31

Re: Big Family - Small Budget

I think a Catalina is a good choice for your parameters and budget. It's a tight budget though. Pay attention to sail condition and tank condition as well as the engine.

And as mentioned, even a boat that has no big issues upon inspection, assume you will spend 25% more for things or more.

I would not go older than the mid/late 80's.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 09:56   #32

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I have sailed my Gemini 105Mc along the gulf coast three times now, and it is an excellent boat for that area. Be aware, however, that bridge heights can limit your ability to use certain inlets (e.g. East Pass in Destin has a 48-foot bridge, so I've not been able to go out there). In general, bridge heights in the northern gulf coast are lower than other major waterways. An air draft greater than 50 will definitely restrict you.
Old 19-07-2024, 12:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltysaltsalt View Post
That's a sharp boat and nice price range. Adding it to the list - thanks!
I recently sold my Tartan 37. I have owned and extensively cruised. 5 boats from 26 to 46’. I downsized to the Tartan. Had it 5 yrs. This is an S&S design and really sails well. One of the best behaved boat ever. It you are looking in the mid thirties plus size, this is a great boat. As a US sailing instructor and sailing literally hundreds of different boats, I would be looking for a little more size. Forty-ish. There out there. And as you are handy and mechanical, you are way ahead of most cruising sailors. I can teach you to sail/cruise/handle a 40’ boat fairly quickly. But it takes many years to develope the skills to maintain and up grade one. Don’t be intimidated by size. You can get some experience at a school or club/friends etc. then quickly transfer these skills to your boat.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 17:27   #34

Boat: Volkscruiser

Saltysaltsalt another thing with the kids make sure you involve them in running boat. On our last cruise our 13 year old daughter did all the anchoring. We barely needed to say anything except how much chain I wanted out.
On the last day our 17 year old was skipper for the day and he ran the whole boat with no input from us. I said nothing until after he finished docking the yacht. Of course he had trouble getting his bighead down below but that's another yarn
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 04:10   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think a Catalina is a good choice for your parameters and budget. It's a tight budget though. Pay attention to sail condition and tank condition as well as the engine.

And as mentioned, even a boat that has no big issues upon inspection, assume you will spend 25% more for things or more.

I would not go older than the mid/late 80's.
Absolutely. The Catalina 34/36 is on my short list. Although if it's spacious and in good condition I will consider most any brand.
Saltysaltsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 04:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
I recently sold my Tartan 37. I have owned and extensively cruised. 5 boats from 26 to 46’. I downsized to the Tartan. Had it 5 yrs. This is an S&S design and really sails well. One of the best behaved boat ever. It you are looking in the mid thirties plus size, this is a great boat. As a US sailing instructor and sailing literally hundreds of different boats, I would be looking for a little more size. Forty-ish. There out there. And as you are handy and mechanical, you are way ahead of most cruising sailors. I can teach you to sail/cruise/handle a 40’ boat fairly quickly. But it takes many years to develope the skills to maintain and up grade one. Don’t be intimidated by size. You can get some experience at a school or club/friends etc. then quickly transfer these skills to your boat.
Thanks for the insights. If I come across a boat in good condition that's in the 40s I will probably just go with it given our fam size and take my chances.
Old 20-07-2024, 04:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottandGrace View Post
I have sailed my Gemini 105Mc along the gulf coast three times now, and it is an excellent boat for that area. Be aware, however, that bridge heights can limit your ability to use certain inlets (e.g. East Pass in Destin has a 48-foot bridge, so I've not been able to go out there). In general, bridge heights in the northern gulf coast are lower than other major waterways. An air draft greater than 50 will definitely restrict you.
This is another boat that really interests me. I'm aware of some of the drawbacks with cats but the space in our situation would be really helpful. I will keep an eye out and definitely plan to look at one.
Old 20-07-2024, 05:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Careful with any plan to buy a boat needing to replace major components. You could buy a $20k boat and sink another $30k into rigging, sails, engine, etc. and end up with a boat worth......$25k-$30k. On a tight budget in terms of time and money (I assume free-time is rare with such a large family), find a boat where someone has already done those upgrades in the last 10-years or so.

Personally I'd avoid boats with Universals which many of the older Catalina's have. I'd find one that was re-powered along the way.

With so many kids, you guys must have a blast on a nice weekend. I'm sure many would enjoy pictures if you're up for sharing.
Thanks for the insights! Im thinking it may be difficult to find one repowered in my budget range but will keep that in mind. Will definitely plan to share some pics
Old 20-07-2024, 05:06   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Stella Maris View Post
5 kids, nice ;-)

We are 10 aboard: wife and I, eight kids. PM me for any specific questions you have. Your list is a good start. Boats are being given away at the moment. Do yourself a favor and focus your budget on 2 things in particular:

1. A popular model for resale…no, it doesn’t matter how long you “plan” to keep her.
2. Look for boats with the newest propulsion engine.

Beyond that, avoid lots of extras that will merely add clutter and headache.

We sail the Caribbean in our older 60’ catamaran.

Good Luck,

Derek, SV Stella Maris
CatamaranConsultant.com
Oh yeah I'm sure I will be reaching out. Thanks!
Old 20-07-2024, 05:37   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikebartlett View Post
An older 70’s shallow keel 50 footer would serve you well but getting insurance is getting harder and harder
Fb sailing Florence Clara
My MS 53 Gulfstar has served me well , 5’ draft, sleeps 9 ,
Those big Gulfstars look pretty ideal but likely out of my price range. But yeah I figure in my situation the bigger I can go the better. I'm not intimidated by size and feel like I will be able to catch on fairly quickly.
Old 20-07-2024, 10:06   #41

The Length At Waterline is your livable space, not the LOA. So let's look at how much space your family will have with these:

Catalina 36 is [30ft]
Morgan Out Island 41 is [34ft]
Pearson 365 is [30ft]

Islander 44 [32ft]
Hunter 34 is [28ft]
Beneteau First 42 is [36ft]
C&C 41 is [33ft]
Challenger Anacapa 42 [30ft]

After considering the living space,
Condition
condition of Vessel and cost of repairs both in time and money
Comfort
berths, a kitchen, shower, storage space and passenger capacity.
Rig type
Sloops, Ketches, yawls, and others
Hull
performance, strength, build quality, cost of maintenance
sethducati1299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, family