Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 16:14   #1

Blue water sailboats

Hello all, first time here.

I've been researching and learning and (for now) have narrowed down my ideal long distance cruising boat to these choices, 62' Hallberg-Rassy, 59' Swan or a 61' Oyster. I've heard many wonderful things about the Amel Super Maramu and Camper Nicholsons as well.

Since some were produced in Sweden, the UK or France, how does one go about locating a boat without having to hop between boat trader, yacht world, and all the European variations?

I'm not looking for the perfect example as I'd want to do a lot of the work myself so I don't know if going through a brokerage like Berthon is the ideal path.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:01   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Blue water sailboats

Since we are talking about a considerable amount of money I would find a buyer's broker who is knowledgeable about boats of this type and get him/her to do the legwork for you. Start with a comprehensive list of what you want in a boat and what your budget is and sit back until a short list is prepared.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:09   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

I always wonder about these type questions where someone is looking at offshore sailing while seemingly not knowing how to buy a boat.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:10   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I always wonder about these type questions where someone is looking at offshore sailing while seemingly not knowing how to buy a boat.
Well, it didn’t take very long for you to insult him. A person has to start somewhere... why not ask the question here on the forum? Please feel free to contact me via pm with any questions.

PM sent to the original poster with recommendations.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:15   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Well, it didn’t take very long for you to insult him. A person has to start somewhere...

Beyond starting somewhere, the world is full of sailors with tens of thousands of offshore miles who have never owned a boat.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:39   #6

Quote:
Well, wonder no more! I've bought boats, restored them from the ground up and then sold them. I've also kept one for personal pleasure, however they're either ones I've located on Craiglist (and purchased for cash) or something I saw in Yacht World and then followed the traditional offer / survey / wire the funds routine where I could see the boat.

My question, if I managed to describe everything correctly, was how to locate something like a 59' Swan - made in Finland between 1984 and 1990 and then undoubtedly delivered to points around the globe. Yes, I can check hundreds of broker listings but that's a little more difficult, isn't it?
Old 04-10-2018, 14:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Water View Post
Well, wonder no more! I've bought boats, restored them from the ground up and then sold them. I've also kept one for personal pleasure, however they're either ones I've located on Craiglist (and purchased for cash) or something I saw in Yacht World and then followed the traditional offer / survey / wire the funds routine where I could see the boat.

My question, if I managed to describe everything correctly, was how to locate something like a 59' Swan - made in Finland between 1984 and 1990 and then undoubtedly delivered to points around the globe. Yes, I can check hundreds of broker listings but that's a little more difficult, isn't it?
Checking listings specifically for what you want is likely to be not that difficult and certainly not more difficult than any other approach. We did exactly what you described in that we wanted a specific boat. It does require some time and effort but there is no secret magic I'm aware of the avoid shopping.
Old 04-10-2018, 14:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Well, it didn’t take very long for you to insult him. .
It was a legitimate objective and generic observation, however, if you want to discuss personal insults, I refer you to the above in quotes as an example. There is no need for that here.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:56   #9

Quote:
It was a legitimate objective and generic observation, however, if you want to discuss personal insults, I refer you to the above in quotes as an example. There is no need for that here.
Just for the record I didn't take it as an insult, perhaps a tad grumpy, I was looking to leverage everyone's experience and see if there was a clever solution.

I appreciate Kenomac looking out for me and his private messages that followed.

For those who haven't seen it, check out mahina dot com and look for the section on "Boat Selection", it covers John Neal's ideal features for long distance cruising.
Old 05-10-2018, 18:25   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

DeepBlueWater,

There is a outfit that sells only Swans. You can probably find them by Googling.

The brokers share of the sale of the sort of boats you're considering should be big enough to motivate one to put a list together for you.

Ann

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, water