Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Ever boarded with bad intentions?
Have you ever been physically boarded by possible thieves, while you were onboard?? 20 74.07%
If so, was there a physical altercation? 8 29.63%
If so, did the possible thieves display weapons? 5 18.52%
Not boarded - but had a dinghy stolen from the water? 9 33.33%
If you were boarded, did it occur in U.S. territorial waters? 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 11:52   #166
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush View Post
A can of Bear Spray will stop a person in there tracks ... It is legal
Obviously depends on the jurisdiction. Quantities, shipping limitations etc
Old 22-07-2019, 11:54   #167

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
If you are going to bring out a weapon remember that it could be used against you... Thinking you can and will use a weapon is different from actually using a weapon.
Indeed; remember that folks who do this for a living (SWAT, RRF, strike-forces, etc...) train about 30-60% of the time, and then consider how likely the instincts to do the right thing will be in the dark, under stress 20 seconds after awakening from a sound sleep...

Far better to frustrate their attempts to board or enter the cabin, than trying to fight them once they're in bed with you...
Old 22-07-2019, 12:06   #168
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not gonna lie; that looks like a lot of very dangerous fun

However, I'm not sure I'll have the mental wherewithal to fire (pardon the pun) that sucker up and send it out to do its business while people are trying to board. Plus, it can be shot down, I'd think.
Old 22-07-2019, 12:07   #169

Boat: Manta 42’ catamaran

The infamous Joshua Slocum put TACKS on the decks at night. He reported success!
Old 22-07-2019, 12:10   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I don't think we should get into IQ issues - or we'll all have to be tested and post our results next to our comments.
Thank you for your intriguing response. I can see I could clarify my point:
*** By expecting each individual to operate by my standards, I am doomed to fail.

As one example, the quoted research shows the differences in cultures based on their heritage:
*** The research shows northern European tribes evolved to value friends and family connection with their long-term planning required to successfully prevail during winters.
*** The research shows tropical tribes use easy availability of food to focus on shorter-term goals.

Although research shows IQ to be a very minor factor, I would volunteer to post mine if that makes anybody happier... and less apt to be 'boarded with bad intentions'.

[See what I did there?]
Old 22-07-2019, 12:34   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Obviously depends on the jurisdiction. Quantities, shipping limitations etc
I have never had any issue in any jurisdiction with a can or two. I used to declare them .... they do not care.
Old 22-07-2019, 13:36   #172

I have been boarded once in Miami and once in Melbourne Florida, but not in the Caribbean or Bahamas. I like the full size bear spray and a baseball bat. The bear spray shoots out in a narrow stream for 10-15 feet, not a cloud, so you have to aim it...hold your breath if you are down wind.
Old 22-07-2019, 13:41   #173

Boat: Hans Christian 33

After a passage from Bermuda, we tied up in Red Hook, USVI, at the fuel dock. Apparently, an “inside job.” We were exhausted, and while sleeping at 0200 with the boat wide open, we were boarded and burglarized. The perpetrator woke us as he jumped off of the boat. We then had a stainless steel security grate fabricated for the companionway hatch board area. Can be locked from below or from outside. As we were not locked in our boat (hot in the tropics, don’t you know), insurance would not cover the losses.
Old 22-07-2019, 13:50   #174

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

There are a number of thoughtful posts here (I'll leave the macho bluster about boiling oil and guns to the Indiana Jones thread).
The pepper spray or bear spray thing seemed initially quite appealing - that would definitely disable someone. But as a few other thoughtful posters have noted - then what? You would have a raging, blind, possibly juiced on meth wild man on your deck - and what exactly is the plan now? Yes, I now have the upper hand and I may be better off than I was a minute ago, but I still have a serious problem.
He is very unlikely to be getting back in his boat and puttering away. Push him overboard? What if he can't swim (like the previous poster)? If something really bad happens to him, betcha dollars to donuts he or his compatriots concoct a lovely story about why they were there (they thought I was dragging and wanted to warn me?) and now I have seriously injured (or worse) a local and I could be made out to be the bad guy.
Not saying do nothing, but keying off those who note how much training and role playing tactical/swat/special forces/etc. do, bear/pepper spray sounds more like no plan to me.
Old 22-07-2019, 14:00   #175

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

It ain't rocket science, people. If you can't, won't, don't want to turn your vessel into a castle and pull up the drawbridge at night then at least install something that makes a lot of noise should the bad guy come calling.

You can also add motion detectors, flashing lights, ambulance siren, etc. as time/wallet permits.

Here's a dirt-cheap option to get started. (Pack of four at 20 bucks US.)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Magne...-204397452-_-N

More choices:

Best Door Alarms Reviews in 2019 - (Recommended 10)
Old 22-07-2019, 14:22   #176

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
How'd that work for Sir Peter Blake?
And all this gun talk when you are supposedly Australian?
Australians do own guns.
Old 22-07-2019, 14:24   #177

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
It ain't rocket science, people. If you can't, won't, don't want to turn your vessel into a castle and pull up the drawbridge at night then at least install something that makes a lot of noise should the bad guy come calling. [/url]
Maybe not a reason to not do this, but has anyone thought about false alarms? Can't imagine a better way to pi$$ off others in the anchorage or even the locals ashore to have horns blaring and lights glaring at three bells...
Old 22-07-2019, 15:12   #178

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

False alarms? We train visitors/temp-crew in the how-to of using our marine toilet. Don't you do the same aboard your vessel? Same for the alarm system. Flip THAT switch and when the blinking red light goes green THEN you can climb the companionway ladder. That bright light... right there... under the top step... sort of at face level... pointed every-which-way... if it was a snake it would bite your nose!

But seriously, I get your point. And false alarms not only annoy the neighbors but might cause "The Boy who Cried Wolf" syndrom. They won't come to help. On the other hand everybody aboard comes awake, false alarm or no.
Old 22-07-2019, 15:30   #179
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
We were boarded at 2:30 am in a marina in Vancouver, BC. My wife is a light sleeper and woke me because she heard a noise. I, in my half asleep mode, thought it was a critter. (Living on dirt we'd had racoons, porcupines, bears etc)
I popped my head out the companionway hatch with a yell. Instead of a 4 legged critter there was a young man with bolt cutters who had just snipped the lock on our dinghy motor. He yelped in fright and jumped into a little inflatable being rowed by an accomplice. I grabbed my camera and started taking pictures as he yelled that they hadn't taken anything.

Talking to the marina manager I found out that 3 motors had been stolen in the previous week or so but they weren't warning people because they didn't want any bad publicity.
No more were stolen, possibly because they thought I actually had their picture but the back lighting shining on the water wiped out the faces.

I described the young man to my wife and she said he sounded just like the one she had seen on another boat in the marina. He was scanning the boats in the area for 10 minutes or so then left.

The scariest thing about the whole incident was that, if I had a gun, I would have shot him. No one should be killed for theft but I was in a rage because someone had the nerve to invade my domain. I was very glad I didn't have one.

In hindsight I should have just let him take and claimed the insurance. It was just a 4 Hp Tohatsu that needed a carb and wires etc.
The hardest thing to get over is killing someone for the first time, unfortunately it becomes easier the more you have to do it. I have had to kill many people in the line of duty starting in 1970 Vietnam right up to Iraq and Afghanistan, some were shooting at me and others … well order are orders.

Here on SeaQuest OE II I have had a few minor scrapes but nothing that has required lethal force, yet. A pneumatic speargun is an effective close quarters battle weapon but you must be willing to shoot without hesitation and then deal with the aftermath.

For those who are unable to unwilling to shoot to kill or believe that someone taking your possessions is not worth taking their life for, well that is your right. The best nonlethal Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) sprays are 15% plus, I have seen 40% sold in India on the black-market (Indian Military Grade). Just remember OC at those higher levels can and will blind someone which carries it own issues.

Safe Sailing
Old 22-07-2019, 15:49   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Vietnam to Afghanistan? How old were you in Afghanistan? What service?
Closed Thread